PDA

View Full Version : San Andreas Morality?

Kyle Static
07-16-2005, 01:07 AM
I just bought San Andreas not to long ago, and having played it for a while I can say I really enjoy the game, but there's one looming question that has yet to be answered for me: Does Carl ever stop being such a bastard?

I mean he goes on random killing spree's killing people for no apparent reason because one of his "homiez" tells him to....and so far it's just a bunch of drive bys....even his damn girlfriend wants to do drive-by's.....in my opinion so far Vice City was a better game. It was comedic and kept that throughout the game, it wasn't a dark "yo homie....our hood just got blasted up yo, so lets go burn down some houses and buss these foo's up, show em what we all about homie" So you kill 30 of them in the next five missions in drive-by's and bombings etc etc.......For gods sake his mom and little brother just got killed....shouldn't CJ be trying to kill the crack-dealers and straighten out the city, find the people who killed his mom? What the hell....?

Snowblind
07-16-2005, 02:30 AM
It all ties into your one other main objective in SA: Take control of the streets of Los Santos. Not all of it is pointless killing.

Kyle Static
07-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Regardless, Tommy Vercetti took control of the city without just doing drive-by's and killing whoever his friends did, or if he did it was comedic, they didn't make it real.

CrazyCougar
07-16-2005, 11:24 AM
The GTA series is a useless waste of time anyhow. Teaching youngsters in this world today to be gangbangers and that killing cool. This game condones everything wrong with our cites today. There is no positive message whatsoever. Rockstar needs to disappear along with these immoral piece of crap games.

ScorpionX
07-16-2005, 01:20 PM
The GTA series is a useless waste of time anyhow. Teaching youngsters in this world today to be gangbangers and that killing cool. This game condones everything wrong with our cites today. There is no positive message whatsoever. Rockstar needs to disappear along with these immoral piece of crap games.

Yea and I think people like you and your pathetic rant should dissapear also

CrazyCougar
07-16-2005, 02:01 PM
See look, A poor little soul infected by GTA immorality.

BlindSniper
07-16-2005, 02:13 PM

OH SNAP! I kind of agree with cougar.....there really is no point in making these games. Just pointless violence...I don't even think they are that fun. There's just a bunch of gore fanboys hanging onto it, and that will have to be accepted. It's funny how the age group of people protecting this game is like from 12-22, but I could be wrong. All of this doesn't really matter to me though, I choose not to play the game cause it sucks, and busting up innocents just doesn't seem right. I'd prefer killing nazis any day.

ScorpionX
07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
OH SNAP! I kind of agree with cougar.....there really is no point in making these games. Just pointless violence...I don't even think they are that fun.

Yea, theres no point in Rockstar making a game that makes hundreds of millions of dollars :rolleyes: . And I guess your suggesting game with pointless violence shouldn't be made... well tell me Blind, what is the point of Halo 2? What is the point of Doom 3? What purpose are those games to society?

There's just a bunch of gore fanboys hanging onto it, and that will have to be accepted.

Have you even played a GTA game? You think a GTA game is gory? Are you dumb? The games have horrible graphics, you can barely make out a persons face. Halo 2 is a gory game. Doom 3 is gory. SA may be violent, but if your going to attack its fan base (which is one of the largest for video games), at least put a little thought into it buddy.

It's funny how the age group of people protecting this game is like from 12-22, but I could be wrong.

Wow, great job Blindsniper, conjuring up baseless accusations. Good job, you showed Rockstar who's boss there.

All of this doesn't really matter to me though, I choose not to play the game cause it sucks, and busting up innocents just doesn't seem right. I'd prefer killing nazis any day.

LOL. A large percent of German soldiers during WW2 were drafted into the army, and just wanted the war to end. They were innocent, so I guess all war games should stop being made because INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE BEING KILLED!

And too bad if you don't approve GTA-esque games Blindsniper, video games are made to entertain, and GTA is entertaning to millions of people.

:rolleyes:

Great contribution.

Dumbass.

Duke
07-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't look to games for morality. GTA is not my favorite series, but I've enjoyed everyone of it's iterations (although haven't played SA yet). Sometimes I like mindless killing.

Should little kids be playing it? No. But should that stop a company from producing a product that people enjoy? I don't think so.

Some of you want to bring up alcohol, should we go back to prohibition because we don't want our kids drinking?

I grew up in a pretty strict household. Whatever "bad" influences I had came from other people. Yes, I saw and did a lot of things that my parents would have disagreed with, but in the long run, being raised by my parents and not the state stuck with me. I kept most of their values and discarded a lot of things I experimented with in my youth.

If you don't like GTA, then fine. It's not for everyone. But it is not the scourge of the western world and not only mindless idiots play it.

vman
07-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I really dont like the GTA series recently because of all the things it condones. But when I play at a friends house, all i do is what the title says to do. steal cars and have fun doing it.

mattgame
07-16-2005, 03:05 PM
GTA is a game. It is a mature game. It is about real life incidents, thoughts, or fears, real or imagined. All just grossly exaggerrated. Ho can you say GTA is immoral and Halo2 or Conker is moral? GTA pushes the envelope but I see it at as game. My children are taught to see it as a game.

I'll be perfectly honest with you all, I let my kids play GTA, Halo, Resident Evil and all of that and do you know why? Because if they want to play it they will find a way. At least under my watchful eye I can monitor them and explain if need be that this is supposed to be entertainment and not an example of reality. And guess what? They don't want GTA, they want Halo but they also love Mario Party. GTA is too far fetched to them. I love my children. :crying: :)

TOTTEN
07-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Teaching youngsters in this world today to be gangbangers and that killing cool.
Shut your mouth yuppy people dont join gangs thinking killing is cool.

This game condones everything wrong with our cites today. There is no positive message whatsoever. Rockstar needs to disappear along with these immoral piece of crap games.
No yuppys like you need to ignore these types of games and STFU.

busting up innocents just doesn't seem right.
Busting up innocent NPCs not real people. :crying:

Yellowlab
07-16-2005, 05:14 PM
I agree with Kyle to some extent. For my review for the site, I said something similar...

"...I was not crazy about the departure from the previous GTA’s. While the previous versions have a very “out there” plot that involved stereotypical characters that are not common in the real world, San Andreas deals with inner city characters and gang violence. It is a stark contrast to the previous GTA games, which had a detached sense of reality. Gang violence just doesn’t seem as funny or as fun as playing as a Scarface inspired Tony Montana type fantasy character, as we did in Vice City."

But, I did enjoy the game a lot overall - and am well above the 22 year age that Blindsniper mentioned. As long as a gamer has the a firm grasp on the difference between reality and a fantasy game, it can be very fun.

LiquidX
07-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Wow people, chill out on the name calling and crap. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

I've played all the GTA games. I own 3 and VC for Xbox as well as SA for PS2. While I'd rather play some Halo over GTA any day, GTA is still a good game. Should kids be playing it? No. Technically I shouldn't even have it but my parents taught me long ago that games are just games and they know I can handle it. And thats what every parent needs to do. Good parents make sure their children stay away from things that could hurt them. Some kids can play GTA and not be affected by it, some cant.

Video games are a type of creative outlet. Whether you like the game or not GTA was innovative. Without it gaming wouldn't be becoming as non-linear and free-roaming as it is now. I like freedom in my games. If we try to censor games to death developers will be stifled creatively. Could GTA have been a lot less violent? Sure. Would it have had as big of an impact as it has if it were less violent? Probably not.

In my opinion GTA should have stopped after Vice City, which I think is the best in the series. San Andreas just isnt fun to me.

AlphaRaptor
07-16-2005, 08:37 PM
LOL. A large percent of German soldiers during WW2 were drafted into the army, and just wanted the war to end. They were innocent, so I guess all war games should stop being made because INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE BEING KILLED!

Actually, there is a difference, in a WW2 game the Germans are trying to KILL you.

I could go on and on about this game and counter everything you've said...but that would be a waste of time. Agree?

Kyle Static
07-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm glad someone else shares the opinion Yellowlab. And Liquid is right, people need to stop being such fanboys for their games and chill out, no need for name-calling or die hard devotion to a game.

While it's fun, I just don't think it's right. While GTA might not be gory, it's most certainly violent, and simply a game away on the violence scale from Manhunt. Regardlesss I'll probably continue to play the game, but I just wish it would take the comedic happy perspective that GTA3 and VC did....where's the really comedic radio stations and stuff? Seems to me they're just trying to push the limits now.....I've been searching for a laugh/mood lifter so much that I've dressed my character up in a track suit with cowboy hat/shoes and gag glasses.....it's still messed up.

ScorpionX
07-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Actually, there is a difference, in a WW2 game the Germans are trying to KILL you.

http://www.home.no/c0licab/captain.jpg

Now lets try using something called "reading comprehension"

and busting up innocents just doesn't seem right. I'd prefer killing nazis any day.

He is implying that all German soldiers are Nazis, and therefore it is alright to kill them because they are evil. But, most of the German army consisted of young men who were drafted that did not believe in Hitler's philosophies. But the funny thing is in GTA you are not forced to kill any "innocent" people. Technically, you kill gangbangers, druglords, and thugs. So I guess it's alright because THEY are trying to kill you too?

I could go on and on about this game and counter everything you've said...but that would be a waste of time. Agree?

Yes considering you would have done it already.

mattgame
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
What? No rebuttal?

Kyle Static
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Why Mattgame....why would you do that....haha.

Dj Logical 1
07-22-2005, 06:25 PM
GTA series sucks... not all the only one that doesnt is GTA3 now that was good quality gaming...

chronicmastrbtr
07-22-2005, 08:17 PM
I really get tired of people complaining about whats on tv or in videogames. If you don't like it their is a simple solution don't watch it or don't play it.