PDA

View Full Version : XBoxx is screwed

Amun
07-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Well recently this problem has started and it sucks. I got my xbox last last xmas and it has worked fine untill latly mabye for 2-3 months I havent played much but it freezes a lot and usually it says the disc is dirty or damaged and I have used many discs even new ones and still it does it. It sounds like the cd rom cant read the disc kinda like a clicking noise and sometimes it happens sometimes i can play fine and it usually happen within the games at some point..... anyone know wut i can do? Thanks :cry:

mrmp3
07-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Yea I know the clicking noise. My first Xbox, one month after launch, if I left a game paused for more than 15 seconds it would do the clicking noise once every 0.40 seconds or so and give the dirty disc error then it started doing it when I started the system up once every 5 times. I never could fix mine but maybe you could just use one of them CD lense cleaning discs, heard it's been a lifesaver for some people. Otherwise, I can't really offer any advice though I'm sure people could help you out. might wanna change the title of the post though, makes it sound like you think the Xbox in general is screwed, not just yours.

Wolfboy_888
07-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Well recently this problem has started and it sucks. I got my xbox last last xmas and it has worked fine untill latly mabye for 2-3 months I havent played much but it freezes a lot and usually it says the disc is dirty or damaged and I have used many discs even new ones and still it does it. It sounds like the cd rom cant read the disc kinda like a clicking noise and sometimes it happens sometimes i can play fine and it usually happen within the games at some point..... anyone know wut i can do? Thanks :cry:
mine went through a stretch like that also..it somehow worked its way through it ..somehow... I tried the disk cleaner works pretty efficent...also maybe change the location of your xbox.. also the condensed air works pretty well..

mattgame
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Clean it out and don't keep it in a place where it can get dusty or dirty. If that don't work trade it in for another one. :)

bob808
07-25-2005, 11:50 PM
why not just buy a new one, peel off the serial number sticker off the new one and place it in the appropriate place on your old one, clean off the old one and stick it back in the box and return it? I'M JOKING!!! that would be dishonest! try compressed air. If all else fails, open your xbox and you could replace the dvd drive... Wait, is it still under warranty?

George89
07-26-2005, 09:45 AM
well i've had mine for quite awhile, but it is also just starting to freeze up a lot now. I don't really get the dirty disc errrors either, the xbox will just stop in it's tracks during a game and then i have to start it all over again if i don't save it often.

fallon77
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
I started getting the "diryt disc" error and the clicking noise. Nothing works. I thought maybe it was just the modded games -- but even my "legal" games don't work. Or DVDs for that matter. I does work sometimes -- for about 15 minutes before it craps out and freezes. I moved the console thinking maybe it was getting to hot. No dice.

I tried the DVD lens cleaner -- But the drive in the Xbox is so screwed it failed to recognize it. I did eventually get it to work but it did nothing.

I just buying a new DVD drive for it and installing that. I'm sure that's the problem.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Fallon

manhole
08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
My friend was having the same problem as you. His Xbox was one of the originals, and was over 2 years old (way out of warranty). He called Xbox technical support and told them of the problem. They fixed it for free. The only thing he had to pay for was to ship the console to them (around $10).

Microsoft knows that if your Xbox is broke, you will not buy any games. And even worst, I think they fear you buying a PS2. Try calling Microsoft and see what they say.

TheWheelMan
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
I worry about my xbox but it seems alrite I get the occasional pause in loading in between play were it makes an odd noise and then finally reads the disk but I have not once had a dirty disc error and the power button has never turned orange or red

Ford Mustang
08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Call Microsoft and see what they say. Depending on what the problem is you'll either have to pay to have it fixed or they might do it for free. If you're up to it you could replace the DVD drive, of course. Since your Xbox is out of warranty that wouldn't cause any problems. Try the simple stuff first, though. Compressed air cans and laser cleaning discs are a good start.

No_FL4Wz
08-13-2005, 10:30 AM
i have an original box i got it when it first came out and its not to bad sometimes i get a red light but when i shut it off and turn it back on its fine and halo 2 often wiged out and made a hole bunch of screeching noises then froze but i bought a knew halo 2 and iit works just fine i'm still gonna clean the lens though.

Brutus
08-19-2005, 01:17 AM

Poor, poor Amon. Look, I'm checking out what everyone is writing to you & it scares me. Where did you guys find all of this out?!

Look, AMon, they're talking out of their heads and they're not technicians. My Xbox is an original & I had to replace the DVD drive twice! First, find out which drive yours is. It's either a Thomson (More Likely, since it needs service already), Samsung, or a Philips. Go find one on Ebay. They're new & pretty cheep, considering.

Next jump on this site: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

This is a step by step procedure to help you diagnose, remove, install & repair anything srong with your XBOX. I hope I was able to help you out, buddy.

-Brutus!