PDA

View Full Version : What is this outrage over ratings?

chronicmastrbtr
07-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I mean who really cares...there is so many other things in the world to worry about. This is just so minimal in terms of importance. The ratings don't really mean anything but to advise parents of the content of a game.

Hillary has to much time on her hands.

Double_Diablo
07-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Well the ratings are there to advise parents of the kind of content there will be in a game. Depending on the kind of parenting, kids could actually imitate what they see in a game. Take Grand Theft Auto for instance. Would you want your child running around beating people up or killing them? I wouldn't think so.

chronicmastrbtr
07-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Well the ratings are there to advise parents of the kind of content there will be in a game. Depending on the kind of parenting, kids could actually imitate what they see in a game. Take Grand Theft Auto for instance. Would you want your child running around beating people up or killing them? I wouldn't think so.

Yeah...but blame the parents not the game.

Ninjermy
07-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Dude, you don't know what you are talking about in any of your threads.
Ratings are VERY important. How desensitized would the world be if 13 year olds could purchase GTA SA. Thats why its rated M!!!

chronicmastrbtr
07-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Dude, you don't know what you are talking about in any of your threads.
Ratings are VERY important. How desensitized would the world be if 13 year olds could purchase GTA SA. Thats why its rated M!!!

I don't know about you but I played gta when I was 13 and I haven't gone out killing anybody. Ratings do matter...for the parents sake...it is the parents responsibility.

Ninjermy
07-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Dude, I know that people who are 13 play GTA. But its the fact that 13 year olds can now BUY the game for say there younger 6 or 7 year old brother and don't know as well compared to a 17 year old.

chronicmastrbtr
07-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Dude, I know that people who are 13 play GTA. But its the fact that 13 year olds can now BUY the game for say there younger 6 or 7 year old brother and don't know as well compared to a 17 year old.

13 year olds can buy it...but so what...where r there parents at?

Nurb
07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
this is really all the parents care about, the sex, they could car less about anything else in the game

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmdsh/2005/tmdsh050722.gif

armyof_one/ltd
07-23-2005, 12:30 PM
13 year olds can buy it...but so what...where r there parents at?

*sigh* I think this is going nowhere, so chronic...hmmm..there's already another chronic, so can I call u mastrbatr?

Mmmyeea...you see mastrbatr? kids that are young are not very experienced so their idea of what's Right and Wrong/Good and Evil is simply margined by the preconventional phase(sorry if my translation sucks) so they think as good actions as the ones in which people reward you for doing them and they think bad actions are the ones in which you get your a$$ grounded or "not get a cookie". And since they don't know reality from fiction, I mean those little retards still believe in magic and Santa Clause..., the little kids could not see a difference and try to do it in the real world, not because they want to be bastards like the main character of GTA but because they want cookies.

is that clear enough? if I missed something just tell me, please.

chronicmastrbtr
07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
*sigh* I think this is going nowhere, so chronic...hmmm..there's already another chronic, so can I call u mastrbatr?

Mmmyeea...you see mastrbatr? kids that are young are not very experienced so their idea of what's Right and Wrong/Good and Evil is simply margined by the preconventional phase(sorry if my translation sucks) so they think as good actions as the ones in which people reward you for doing them and they think bad actions are the ones in which you get your a$$ grounded or "not get a cookie". And since they don't know reality from fiction, I mean those little retards still believe in magic and Santa Clause..., the little kids could not see a difference and try to do it in the real world, not because they want to be bastards like the main character of GTA but because they want cookies.

is that clear enough? if I missed something just tell me, please.

yes, but my point...it is the parents job to tell their kids what is right and what is wrong.

If parents don't care what their kids play then that is bad parenting but it isn't my problem.

FB-Gollum
07-23-2005, 08:52 PM
You're both right. The rating is there to guide a parent. I'm a parent and luckily a gamer so I know what's what. However, many parents have no clue about the content of games, they thinkn of "pacman" and "asteroids" when they think of games and it often will not occur to them that a game could be bad for kids. It is the responsibility of manufacturers and retailers to provide guidelines for the consumption of their products. This is why food products have nutrional information, why car manufacturers provide fuel consumption estimates and why movies have ratings.

If I suggested to you that we sould do away with ratings for films, and allow anyone to buy a ticket to anything, you'd say I was crazy. "Crazy? No, the parents should be responsible for explaining right and wrong, media is media and we can expose children to whatever we like, the parents should censor us from their kids". It's preposterous. We need controls in place on retailers with real consequences for ignoring the guidelines set forth. Some games are not appropriate for some people. Just because it won't necessarily make a serial killer out of a child doesn't make it alright.

By the way, yes there are bigger and more important things, this is a heacy stupid publicity move and the solution is simple and easy to enforce. There should be no argument.

a lost prophet
07-23-2005, 08:54 PM
ratings are important so kids dont turn out like me.
but i mean really, we shuldnt even destroy asteroids. it would mess up the orbit of the planets cuz of the debris leftover. lol jp...