PDA

View Full Version : do you pre-order games?

BORNGD
07-31-2005, 01:39 AM
ok, i was curious, i see so many people saying "i preorded that game" and such, but i have to ask why? i have NEVER gone to go and get a game and the place has been sold out. I mean hell, go to best buy on the release date and they have tons of games that just came out. I understand pre-ordering consoles as places only get a few, but games??? why?

CrazyCougar
07-31-2005, 03:38 AM
I will pre-order less popular titles just to be sure they get one in for me. For example, my local game stores only get a few copies of Outlaw Tennis. If I preorder it, then I am guaranteed an copy. Just a precautionary tool i use.

mattgame
07-31-2005, 10:26 AM
I do because I hate the feeling of going to the store and not getting what I want.

Double_Diablo
07-31-2005, 12:22 PM
If I believe that a game I want will turn out to be a blockbuster that'll sell fast, yea, I'll pre-order it.

J4320
07-31-2005, 01:51 PM
No I don't preorder games because it's a waste of money in my opinion.

Double_Diablo
07-31-2005, 05:08 PM
How is it a waste of money? You're basically just putting down a fraction of the cost before you pay for it when it comes out. You don't really spend any more if you pre-order a game.

Cloud Strife
08-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Only if its a game that I feel will become rare, or hard to find quickly. Otherwise, I just wait for Meijer to carry the game in, since they run several sales all the time.

mattgame
08-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Explain please.

CrazyCougar
08-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah that one lost me too..LOL!

Shadow20002
08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Never cause i always get the games right away after is just release.

ScorpionX
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
No, I don't see a point cause I've never seen a game sell out in less than a day.

m4oH
08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
No, I don't see a point cause I've never seen a game sell out in less than a day.
same here. this is atleast 5 stores that are relatively close to my house so i have no need to worry.

Stormlord
08-01-2005, 10:45 PM
It depends on the game. If it's super popular than maybe I'll pre-order. If it's something that may be rare after release then I'll pre-order that too.

Hangnail
08-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I never used to pre-order anything, but back then I wasn't that big of a gamer. Now, I want my games as soon as they come out. And since it don't cost you any extra money to pre-order it, what is the harm? :confused:

Brother RJ
08-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Only if the game is popular or highly anticipated, or i'm bored..Otherwise no

BORNGD
08-03-2005, 01:34 AM
only harm i see is if the game sux! you cant wait for the reviews usually...take that last wwe game...awful!

I never used to pre-order anything, but back then I wasn't that big of a gamer. Now, I want my games as soon as they come out. And since it don't cost you any extra money to pre-order it, what is the harm? :confused:

RUB MY LEMON
08-03-2005, 09:26 AM
i never preorder games....i didnt even have to preorder halo 2 and i still got it on the first day :)

Ninjermy
08-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Nope.

bubbs
08-08-2005, 06:29 PM
only one or two, halo and something else

trixmaster
08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I preordered Halo 2, but I think I'm going to do it more often now.

wolf online
08-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Everything to do with my gaming is pre-orderd, I am too scared not too, when I went to get SC:CT I was pooing it on the bus, although I knew I would get there it was 6am on a sunday and the bus seemed to take forever, but I got it, but yeh pre-order costs you no money and you get what you want.

Ford Mustang
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I do because I hate the feeling of going to the store and not getting what I want.

Ditto. I use Amazon.com alot for pre-orders as well. I just buy the game and then I don't have to worry about it until it's in my hands.

Brutus
08-19-2005, 01:36 AM
Sometimes they affer little perks. Like Breakdown said, if you preorder this, we'll give you Dead to Rights for free. & Ubisoft did that deal with uhh... Pandora Tomorrow, or was it Rainbow Six 3?

ANyway, sometimes they'll give free stuff. I've acquired a DOA figurine for preordering DOA Ultimate. ALso got T-shirts & stuff too. But it really does serve no purpose... Unless it's HALO 2 & you want to stand in line with everyone else like you've got a purpose! Ha ha ha

Shawn-XBA
08-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I only pre-order games if they offer something free with it, like another game or t-shirt, something, and thats only if I really want that game

Polarwind
08-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Only once..Halo 2 seemed like it would be hard to get. Turned out not to be...

Brutus
08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Only once..Halo 2 seemed like it would be hard to get. Turned out not to be...
Ha ha! No doubt! I spoke to one of the empoyees at my local game store & they told me that they have to order at least double what their Preorders are. Well, there was like 200-some odd amount of preorders, so I guess they'd ordered about FIVE HUNDRED COPIES!
ha ha~! Best Buy & Fry's electronics had so many copies of HALO 2 that they were trying to escape from the crack in the front doors... OK, maybe not, but even as this thread indicates, people normally don't Preorder, but we ALL did on HALO 2, which means that each store had about an extra 200 copies... :yikes:

Slowride
08-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Never have, probably never will.

Edit: Not even halo or halo 2. Both of which are boring BTFW!!!

Polarwind
09-01-2005, 02:41 AM
As for pre-ordered systems..each EB Games is allowed only 12 360's. Apparently they've filled them all, and then some. For a system that costs as much as a decent computer system or a half a tank of gas.
Preorders are a good idea if something looks like it will be extremely sought after, but so far, nothing has filled that description.
We shall see what happens with Halo 3.

Brutus
09-01-2005, 08:32 PM
As for pre-ordered systems..each EB Games is allowed only 12 360's. Apparently they've filled them all, and then some. For a system that costs as much as a decent computer system or a half a tank of gas.
Preorders are a good idea if something looks like it will be extremely sought after, but so far, nothing has filled that description.
We shall see what happens with Halo 3.
Point taken, Polarwind, and a mighty god point indeed. I have a slight feeling that it won't be hard to get a 360 though. Unlike Sony, Microsoft knows how to deliver & promise a nice steady flow of consoles, to the states especially, at a much faster rate than the PS2's 150,000 a week. Remember how F-ed up that was!? ha ha ha.

My friend & I had an almost all nighter outside of Best Buy. That was stupid! I see Microsoft as a company that has delivered on all demand of the industry. From Consoles, to Live headsets & even ther games, if theres a demand they tend to keep it filled.

I didn't pre-order a 360 for those reasons. Well, and gas, like you said! Ha ha ha. I think I shouldn't have a reason getting one at any of the stores here in Phoenix.

BTW, thats a cool Avatar, man!

-Brutus!

Nato King
09-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I dont' really pre-order games because they don't pre-order in my area (Bermuda) and if they did I still wanted because I like to know that when I am going to buy a game it's going to be well worth my money.

U.2.K
09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Nope, never preorder games. I do however put games on hold, but no pre-ordering.

ll Mista GT ll
09-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I will pre-order less popular titles just to be sure they get one in for me. For example, my local game stores only get a few copies of Outlaw Tennis. If I preorder it, then I am guaranteed an copy. Just a precautionary tool i use.

It's not as if OT is a good game anyways :p

I dont preorder (except for Halo 1 & 2)... I dont see the big deal of waiting an extra day or two... :confused:

Reclaimer
09-03-2005, 11:46 PM
For starters, how come in the poll there's no options for "sometimes I preorder"?
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
I think of all the games I've owned, I preordered just a few.
Brute Force
RS3 Lockdown
Conflict Desert Storm 2
PGR 2
The only reason why I preordered the games is because I really don't know what game I'm going to get until I get to the store. I never really plan to get games. All four times I just took a bunch of trade in fodder to the store because I was sick of looking at them, couldn't find something I liked, so I preordered something that looked cool.
I'm an impulse shopper. I don't ever do the pay now and pay later thing. I just pay it all right then and there so I could just get the game.
Anyway like anyone reads this, now I just don't even bother. I didn't preorder Halo 2, I figured what's the point? There are so many ways to get a game, preorders are pointless now. The day Halo 2 game out, that very morning my wife went to Target and bought the game, no lines, no crowds.

So, out of 40 games I've owned, I only preordered 4 for no real good reason.
Hell when I picked up my preordered CDS-2, the dude told me I was the only person to preorder the game. So what?

Brutus
09-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Anyway like anyone reads this
Ha ha ha. No doubt. I do though! Yea, I don't really have a life. Happy Gaming, Reclaimer!

BTW, I loved Brute Force, obviously. Nice Preorder choice. Sounds like you know how to preorder by that list. What do you think about Far Cry Instincts? I'm holding out for the next Brothers in Arms, The Matrix: Path of Neo, & obviously, 360. Preorders? No. Heh, heh.

Reclaimer
09-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Ha ha ha. No doubt. I do though! Yea, I don't really have a life. Happy Gaming, Reclaimer!

BTW, I loved Brute Force, obviously. Nice Preorder choice. Sounds like you know how to preorder by that list. What do you think about Far Cry Instincts? I'm holding out for the next Brothers in Arms, The Matrix: Path of Neo, & obviously, 360. Preorders? No. Heh, heh.

I initially liked Brute Force. It was being hyped out as the next big game like Halo from Microsoft. At that time, I was really into the 4 player co-op games, so when I went to the game store to take a look at what was out and I ended up preordering it.

It wasn't a bad game, I just lost interest in it over time. I still have it, mainly because I can't get rid of it. Ever since the Xbox was bundled with that game, the trade in value for it is around a dollar for credit.

Far Cry Instincts looks like it's going to be a very good looking game. I could be interested in it. I like the idea of the map maker and being able to upload maps over Live.

As for what's next on my list? I don't know. I have a lot of old games to catch up on. I still haven't got GR2, Republic Commando and First 2 Fight. I've just been really busy. Hell, recently I just started getting back into playing my Xbox. It just collected dust for a long itme.

Blackpanthour
09-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Yea, really unless you are really worried about the game being sold out b4 you can go and get it, or theres a really good deal that comes with, like a new case(halo2) or free games, etc. There really is no need to preorder. I find that they may sumtimes be careless about tracking who pre-ordered what. like at EB I preorder h2 (only game ever to preorder it, so i cud get the case and the extra dvd, and for only $5 moe, nice :)) and I went in to get it, and they said that they sold my copy of the damn game, like, they knew it wuz mind, and they still sold it, and then they told me it wud be bout 4 days till they get a new shippment. so i jus cance;ed with them and went to toys r us and bought the same thing, w/o havin to pre-order.

Thats another thing, companies always saying you have to preorder to get this certain type of copy and extras. but most of the time, you just gotta go in within the month usually dependin on popularity, and get the same thing, w/o worrying bout having to pre-order

mattgame
09-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I can only preorder the system now. I may not even be able to get it.

Blackpanthour
09-13-2005, 04:51 PM
too be honest I would rather wait for the price to go down a bit, being that its too expansive and i dun have a job yet (which is pretty bad for a 16yr) but even if i did have the money, I prob wouldn't buy it at bout $700 I don't think any sstem is worth that much, cuz once i pay for that im not getting a game other then the starter for a very long time so it wud jus be sittin there collecting dust

ShadedNine
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM
I never preorder anything of that nature. I got my xbox, halo, halo 2, world of warcraft...all on launch day without a preorder. In fact, I can't think of a time where there was a game or system I wanted on launch and couldn't find, even late that day.

But then we often seem to get a little more than our share of techy gizmos and things in Canada (cameras, computers, video games...). They all sell, but with less urgency.

Remember all that fuss about getting a PSP when it came out? Few stores ever actually completely ran out around here. There was always at least one store with stock in the city.

Blackpanthour
09-14-2005, 06:25 AM
yea, thats tru too, you can prob find it in some small store that no1 rly knows bout. so there really isn't ne need for it

swivel
09-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Point taken, Polarwind, and a mighty god point indeed. I have a slight feeling that it won't be hard to get a 360 though. Unlike Sony, Microsoft knows how to deliver & promise a nice steady flow of consoles, to the states especially, at a much faster rate than the PS2's 150,000 a week. Remember how F-ed up that was!? ha ha ha.

My friend & I had an almost all nighter outside of Best Buy. That was stupid! I see Microsoft as a company that has delivered on all demand of the industry. From Consoles, to Live headsets & even ther games, if theres a demand they tend to keep it filled.

I didn't pre-order a 360 for those reasons. Well, and gas, like you said! Ha ha ha. I think I shouldn't have a reason getting one at any of the stores here in Phoenix.

BTW, thats a cool Avatar, man!

-Brutus!

And the XBox launch was just gangbusters, eh? DVD-ROM problems, controller re-design, PSU problems. Almost all console launches now have snags. Hard not to when you have to deliver millions of them and the manufacturing is untested. Look at the PSP pixel problem and the recall announced yesterday by Sony for the Slimline PS2 PSU.

If I end up not getting an XBox2 in November, it will primarily be because I don't feel like being Microsoft's guinea pig. Don't get me wrong, you won't find a bigger fan of Microsoft and Bill Gates, but I've been using their sofware since DOS 4.0. When you have to use a euphamism for your patches, by calling them Service Packs, you start to become skeptical.

I would not be surprised at all to see a hardware problem with the launch of the XBox2 or the PS3, or both.

And plenty of current-gen games coming out for the holidays on all systems. They might just keep me busy through the winter.

Highlite23
09-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Like COugar said way in the begining, Only the oddball titles becasue stores don't usualy stock alot of copies.

Big games, no problem, they get tons. Like who couldn't find Halo 2 everywhere. ;)

Blackpanthour
09-14-2005, 11:44 AM
And the XBox launch was just gangbusters, eh? DVD-ROM problems, controller re-design, PSU problems. Almost all console launches now have snags. Hard not to when you have to deliver millions of them and the manufacturing is untested. Look at the PSP pixel problem and the recall announced yesterday by Sony for the Slimline PS2 PSU.

If I end up not getting an XBox2 in November, it will primarily be because I don't feel like being Microsoft's guinea pig. Don't get me wrong, you won't find a bigger fan of Microsoft and Bill Gates, but I've been using their sofware since DOS 4.0. When you have to use a euphamism for your patches, by calling them Service Packs, you start to become skeptical.

I would not be surprised at all to see a hardware problem with the launch of the XBox2 or the PS3, or both.

And plenty of current-gen games coming out for the holidays on all systems. They might just keep me busy through the winter.
I like your point, usually there su=omething wrong with the firs batch of systems that come out. Im pretty sure that when xbox came out, ppl had to go in and get a new system because the one they had had a bug in it or sumthing. don't remember the details very well, but yea its not worth it if your spendin so much money jus to have it sent back to get it fixed. which was why I waited about a year for the xbox price to drop and the bugs were fixed plus i got 2 games with it JSRF/Sega GT (Sega GT I got to a point where i wuz stuck with a car that wuzn't fast enuff for the otha cars so i stopped, and I luved JSRF) So i will prob do the same thing with the X360.

I don't mind waitin to get a better deal for my system, cuz im not paying top dollar, jus to have to pay again for the next system that comes out in almost 5yrs.

swivel
09-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Especially if they have an HD-DVD system with a larger HD after this first batch.

themoosearmy
09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Took the words out of my mouth.

BoogerBoy
09-24-2005, 08:40 AM
I preorder games sometimes, I remember when I preordered GTA SA. People went crazy when it came out at Gamestop. They were giving out free hot dogs and drinks while you were waiting for a copy. It was fun :)