PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 to be water cooled?

LiquidX
08-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Was this announced and I just never heard anything about it? In the new OXM theres a blurb in the CoD2 feature about the beta kits. The last part reads like this:

They're packing larger hard drives (100 GB), extra daughterboards for miscellaneous development hijinks (such as taking screenshots), and massive fans (presumably because the beta kits aren't water cooled like the final systems will be). Neat huh?

Now, doesn't having a water cooled game system sound like a bullseye for defects? Cool as hell to have but could end up causing major problems.

Double_Diablo
08-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Cool yes but it could also be an electrical hazard if not implemented properly. Yikes.

chronicmastrbtr
08-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I really doubt that 360 is water cooled.

OC Noob
08-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Was this announced and I just never heard anything about it? In the new OXM theres a blurb in the CoD2 feature about the beta kits. The last part reads like this:

Now, doesn't having a water cooled game system sound like a bullseye for defects? Cool as hell to have but could end up causing major problems.

That refering to a heatpipe type closed system with water. Not water cooling like computer hobbists use.

ps there is a cetain amount of mainenance that goes along with a real water cooled system that is impractical for a console, along with all the previously mentioned coments. That and it would be too expensive to be worth the trouble).

LiquidX
08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
That refering to a heatpipe type closed system with water. Not water cooling like computer hobbists use.

ps there is a cetain amount of mainenance that goes along with a real water cooled system that is impractical for a console, along with all the previously mentioned coments. That and it would be too expensive to be worth the trouble).

Ah good. I was thinking they were talking like it was a computer set up. Man, imagine how much it would suck to have a pump go out or a seal fail in your 360 a week after your warranty runs out...

skorp
08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah... It is supposedly water cooled.

Whisper
08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
yeah, i remember reading this back even before the MTV unveiling

Reclaimer
08-01-2005, 09:03 PM
The big J Allard video that came out right around the end of the Our Colony craze mentions that the 360 triple CPU unit is water cooled.

LiquidX
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
The big J Allard video that came out right around the end of the Our Colony craze mentions that the 360 triple CPU unit is water cooled.

Well I never saw that video :p. Now I know. :hardcore:

Reclaimer
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Well I never saw that video :p. Now I know. :hardcore:

And knowing is half the battle...

bostwick202
08-03-2005, 05:48 PM
yeah, i remeber awhile ago on the Screensavers where they built a pc totally immersed in this non-conducting liquid. it was really cool!

OC Noob
08-04-2005, 05:14 PM
And knowing is half the battle...

G.I. Joe!!! A real non-American hero! G.I. Joe is there!!!

(they weren't real American heros as they never knocked off a third world country for its oil, lol)

yeah, i remeber awhile ago on the Screensavers where they built a pc totally immersed in this non-conducting liquid. it was really cool!

yeah, dude. Some of these crazy overclocking sites set up a system and stick it in liquid nitrogen, get there benchmark and the system dies shortly after. I'm pretty sure they die from the overvoltage and nothing to do with running in the liquid, as you stated, its nonconductive, but those poor CPU can only take so much juice regardless of temps.

It is cool as hell though if you've got a site to promote and a few grand to blow:D

Ah good. I was thinking they were talking like it was a computer set up. Man, imagine how much it would suck to have a pump go out or a seal fail in your 360 a week after your warranty runs out...

Yeah, that would be way too risky. I had a water setup and moddified the blocks which was great when I was running a mini swamp/evaporative cooler instead of a radiator (it was an open system and wasn't very high preasure), but being in AZ it was sucking up almost a gallon of water a day (we might as well have negative humidity here) so I bought a radiator, closed the system and the preasure was to high so it cracked my block (plexi topped). :yikes: Bye, bye CPU and mobo. Luckly the most expensive part and strangely enough the wettest part survived (video card).

We don't need that in our 360's :rofl:

mattgame
08-04-2005, 05:48 PM
G.I. Joe!!! A real non-American hero! G.I. Joe is there!!!

(they weren't real American heros as they never knowed off a third world country for its oil, lol)

What does this mean?

StudioAlex
08-05-2005, 09:42 AM
knowed off a third world country?

OC Noob
08-05-2005, 10:15 PM
knowed off a third world country?

Oops, critical typo. Its fixed from knowed to knocked.

GI Joe!!!

my favorite toy of all time. Still have my Shadow in the garage somewhere.

What does this mean?

Typo fixed and by your age i assume you remeber the GI Joe song, but maybe you were too old to watch the cartoon?