PDA

View Full Version : XBOX360 to have HD-DVD, eventually...

Spaztic
08-02-2005, 11:15 AM
This kinda sucks for people that are getting the Xbox360 @ launch...

Linky (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/31/0238236&tid=211&tid=198&tid=10&tid=137)

Discuss...

CharlieHustle
08-02-2005, 04:56 PM
I will get the 360.. with the classic dvd drive in it. If i want a hd dvd player, i will buy an hd dvd player. Now, if the storage medium changes(games will be on hd dvd), then i will exchange my 360. thats all. Or do the wal-mart or target thingy. Just buy a new one, swap it out then get my money back. thats all.

Kyle Static
08-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Reply #2.1 by im.thatoneguy on 2005-07-31, 09:43 GMT
However, you make the assumption any games would NEED HD-DVD capacity. At the rate at which content is being produced, I don't see it happening. A BIG game currently takes up about 5 GB, I don't see our need for capacity to double in the next 3 years. Sony is trying to market an asset that is simply meaningless. The reason people want HD-DVD drives won't be because their games are running out of space, it's to watch high definition video, which is exactly what the upgrade will do. *If* we do run out of space and someone decides to release some bloated unplayable monster of a game, we could simply release a 2 DVD game, with a hard drive, all user settings could be saved on the XBox HardDrive or Memory card.

So go ahead, write it in stone, but you might as well write "My name is Jim Bigglestein" because it's just as relevant to the issues at hand.

I'd say this guy knows what he's talking about, and I agree with him. If developers truly need that extra space, they'll put out a two disc game.....and I'm not going to be throwing a tantrum because I can't watch my super high quality DVD's anytime soon.

OC Noob
08-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I'd say this guy knows what he's talking about, and I agree with him. If developers truly need that extra space, they'll put out a two disc game.....and I'm not going to be throwing a tantrum because I can't watch my super high quality DVD's anytime soon.

I'm with you.

mattgame
08-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, it does kinda seem like a rip-off. I want the best the system can do from the start.

OC Noob
08-08-2005, 11:20 PM
If the HD-DVD version is th same price I'd be pissed, but I'm sure they will charge for the upgrade and selling the DVD version should pretty well gaurentee any 360 game will be on a DVD or atleast offer a DVD version.

I don't mind forgoing the option so long as I'm not paying what people getting it are.

Either that or they offer a very cheap/free upgrade to us DVD 360 owners.

mattgame
08-08-2005, 11:38 PM
I'll settle for that but they should offer the upgrade with a free game or something.

squid413
08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I think they should just put this in from the start or just forget about it. Because now i'm thinking i will just wait for the HD DVD version then. Or they should make it so that when the HD DVD drive comes out you can update your current xbox.

Mitchell
08-10-2005, 02:57 AM
I think they should just put this in from the start or just forget about it. Because now i'm thinking i will just wait for the HD DVD version then. Or they should make it so that when the HD DVD drive comes out you can update your current xbox.
Agreed. I hate having my "new technology' outdated just after I bought it. Plus, it will probably come with a price drop too.