PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Full Xbox support for final fantasy

Dar
02-18-2002, 01:26 AM
I predict that we will see Final Fantasy X, XI, and XII on the xbox. There have been rumors flying about for months. People say things like "Sony bought into Square and Square will never develop for Sony's competition." This seems like a good idea on the surface but let's not forget why Square let Sony in the door in the first place - Huge Losses. I don't know the exact amount of money Square lost last year but it was plenty. If you think Square will pass up the opportunity to sell millions of FF copies on the xbox and recoup their losses you are crazy. There are two things holding Square back from announcing. First, as a part owner Sony wants the first rights to produce the game for their system. So we won't be hearing about it for a while. Secondly, Square is probably waiting for the rest of the world to get xbox and won't make an announcement until a larger xbox base is established. For those who think Sony is holding Square back, think about this: Sony didn't buy into Square to lose money. When Square profits Sony does too even if that means selling millions of copies of software for the competitors hardware.

Crazy Joe
02-22-2002, 04:00 PM
and sony only owns like 17% or something, that's quite a bit, but there's no way they make the big decisions like what console to develop for

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 10:14 AM
As long as we're just throwing stuff out there, I predict Sony will leave Nintendo when it finds Nintendo letting Sega feel up its shirt in the parking lot behind the movie theatre. Sony will run to its ex hump buddy Microsoft but Microsoft will be like, "I'm not like that anymore." or some crap they always say. Sony will then spend the night getting drunk with PAnasonic, who always liked Sony but had a low self esteem becuse it's fat and ugly and not not very interesting so it never came on to Sony before. Sony will be in for a rude awakening the next morning when Panasonic wakes it up nibbling on its ear. Sony will retreat to its buddy Konami's house after giving PAnasonic the "It was a mistake" speech only to find Konami and Microsoft have been seeing each other secretly. Square also shows up, who thought it and Konami were in a serious relationship, and proceeds to flip out and light the matress on fire.

Dar
02-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Alex,

Thanks for your pathetic attempt to mock me. Unfortunately, my comments were based on logic and good business sense, neither of which are posessed by you. Mark my words, we will have Final Fantasy on the Xbox just as soon as Xbox attains a large base in Japan, Square's home turf, and as soon as the hype of Final Fantasy X dies down on PS2. By the time of the launch of Xbox's online system and Final Fantasy XI Square will be solidly behind Xbox.

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Sorry kid, I wasn't mocking, merely trying to be funny. I'm sorry I insulted your logic and business savvy, or whatever you have that I'm lackin. My point was, I could say about anything and then find data to back them up. I'd like to see FF on the box as much as anyone, do I think it's going to happen? No. But who knew square would jump ship to sony the first time? No one (excluding those in the know). There's always a chance. So, quit wearing your heart on your sleeve and suck it up big boy. I wasn't even being mean, as you were in your reply.

monkeyman
02-23-2002, 06:18 PM
no way im sure it wont it was like a 12:3 chance or something close to that

X-Factor
02-24-2002, 02:26 PM
In the latest issue of OXM, there was an article on MGSX, GTA3, and FFXI.

They said the chances of Final Fantasy XI (Online) showing up on Xbox are 10:1. Those aren't very good odds...:eek:

Huckleberry
03-01-2002, 01:48 AM
proof that you can find what you want in print in order to back your story...i have recently seen in an xbox magazine where it's LIKELY that xi comes out for yon xbox. here's the reasoning...

it's not only that there is a huge base of xbox players out there, but that that huge base of xbox players are using a system that is ALREADY ONLINE CAPABLE!!! no cost to the owner outside of the game.

Au contrare for yon ps2 owners. they will need to shell out approximately 140 additional simoleans in order to play online. that will cover the cost of a broadband unit and a hard drive attachment for the ps2 (some sony bonehead wasn't thinking when they decided to NOT add that for the same 299.00 as the xbox). MANY ps2 owners will be reluctant to pay that additional dough, and it will not exactly build goodwill in their hearts toward "the man" (in this case, sony). because of the shrunken base of ps2 players that will want to pay 200.00 more, including the game price, the volume will need to be made up somewhere...and it's either pc or xbox.

it all makes sense to me...or so my girlfriend tells me

smitty78
03-01-2002, 10:16 PM
you r so smart . that is what will happen

linkycat
03-07-2002, 11:07 AM
The online capability debate is a great one. Still I say that Square does have an alligance with Sony as of now. Microsoft has been waving it's big green box in front of Square for some time, and trying to get them to develop for them, and it's not like they aren't in negotiations, it's just that Square right now is exclusive with FF.

Now, if FFXI comes out, and nobody can afford it and it has a horrible turnout on the PS2 (which won't happen because everyone who owns a PS2 owns it for FF... they'll buy the hardware even if they have to sell their own mother out) we may see it on the box.

BUT our best chances are that Square will give in to Microsoft and develop a completely new RPG game for it. An all console online RPGs, that will be the end all beat all. Square has got to be getting tired of FF after developing 11 games. They want some thing fresh and new, and they are working on it hopefully.

BUt if that doesn't pan out, I'd say there is a decent chance of seeing FFXII on the box before XI. As my main man in Dumb and Dumber says, SO YOU'RE SAYIN THERE'S A CHANCE! Albeit 10:1, but nonetheless... If we all pray to our various gods and complain about it to square and microsoft. Maybe they will listen.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Formula_91
03-14-2002, 08:51 PM
FFXI on X-box = Very Possible..
Other games on X-box = Not very Possible..

Square wants all the systems to have FFXI purely for the money. Sony would make money of that anyways so it won't see a big problem if X-box owners had FFXI. As for other games they are pretty much with Sony. They even said Sony will have many games that will never go to another system. They said the 19% ownership of sony means nothing....ya right - -

Gollum
03-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Tell me again why oddworld was suddenly switched from ps2 to xbox. Oh wait, xbox is better. DUH. This said, how hard is it to believe that Square will wanna develop for a far surperior system seeing as they have a record of pushing the limits graphicly.

As for now, xbox is the big man on campus. Most devolpers have plans for xbox titles, even sega and SONY have/will develop for it. This of course is common knowledge now.

It's also obvious Square wouldn't make nearly as much money going online with ps2 instead of xbox. Ps2 + online = pricey add-ons. WHO in the world would suddenly pay for hardware to go online solely for the purpose of playing one game. Sure, other ps2 online games may come out, but i've yet to see solid plans for any other ps2 online-er. FFXI is going to be for ps2, it's going to turn up little or no profit, and square will be forced to run to xbox if they hope to continue online gaming.

My reasoning for FF coming to xbox:
Better graphics
Devolper friendly
Built in modem and already online
Square's bottom line is lookin' a little low and FFXI will hurt it even more