PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 to be £299+?

Double_Diablo
08-06-2005, 11:04 AM
An interesting article I found at 360updates.com
----------------------------------------------------------------
An article posted earlier today over at Eurogamer.net is claiming that 'highly-placed' sources in the UK gaming industry have let slip some interesting nuggets of information regarding the launch of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox 360 console.

According to the sources (who have insisted on anonymity), the machine will hit UK stores with a rather eye-watering £299 price tag, and is set to launch on November 25th. And despite Microsoft's endless talk about a simultaneous worldwide release, the sources also suggest the console will launch in the U.S. first, albeit only a few days earlier than in Europe. An official announcement is expected from Microsoft at the Game Convention event in Leipzig, Germany on August 17th.

The surprisingly high £299 price tag - which translates to just under $700AU - is some way above the mooted price point of the machine in the US, where virtually everybody and their dog is expecting a $299 (or £168 / $390AU) price point. It's believed that the pricey nature of the console may have been influenced by Sony, who have recently been discussing how PlayStation 3 will be released at 'a premium price'. Said one of Eurogamer's sources: 'The original plan was £249, but now that Sony is talking about the PS3 being expensive, £299 is looking more likely.'

Of course, this is mainly wild speculation, and until Microsoft do show up with an official announcement - they refused to comment on this story today, even when we used our best puppy dog eyes - we should probably say that none of this is concrete. Yet the appearance of the story on a site as reputable as Eurogamer is certainly interesting, and as a result we're not dismissing it entirely.

Eurogamer's sources were certain of one thing however: at launch, software will carry a recommended retail price of £44.99, or $104AU. Whether retailers actually follow that recommendation is another question, though the sources quoted by the article seem quite certain that this is the price being bandied about to retailers by Microsoft. Apparently, the big 'M' is a little unhappy at having to do this, though claims that it's being driven by demands from third party publishers. We reckon Bill wants a new conservatory and, ooh, maybe an ornamental koi pool would be nice?

Anyway, more news as soon as Microsoft or other 'highly-placed sources' cough it up.
------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you make of this? Personally I just refuse to believe it. A price point of over $400USD doesn't sound right to me. It breaks J. Allards words of a price around $300USD. Besides, why jack up the price just to compete with Sony in that way? Why would consumers want two ridiculously overpriced consoles on the market?

chronicmastrbtr
08-06-2005, 11:23 AM
An interesting article I found at 360updates.com
----------------------------------------------------------------
An article posted earlier today over at Eurogamer.net is claiming that 'highly-placed' sources in the UK gaming industry have let slip some interesting nuggets of information regarding the launch of Microsoft's next-generation Xbox 360 console.

According to the sources (who have insisted on anonymity), the machine will hit UK stores with a rather eye-watering £299 price tag, and is set to launch on November 25th. And despite Microsoft's endless talk about a simultaneous worldwide release, the sources also suggest the console will launch in the U.S. first, albeit only a few days earlier than in Europe. An official announcement is expected from Microsoft at the Game Convention event in Leipzig, Germany on August 17th.

The surprisingly high £299 price tag - which translates to just under $700AU - is some way above the mooted price point of the machine in the US, where virtually everybody and their dog is expecting a $299 (or £168 / $390AU) price point. It's believed that the pricey nature of the console may have been influenced by Sony, who have recently been discussing how PlayStation 3 will be released at 'a premium price'. Said one of Eurogamer's sources: 'The original plan was £249, but now that Sony is talking about the PS3 being expensive, £299 is looking more likely.'

Of course, this is mainly wild speculation, and until Microsoft do show up with an official announcement - they refused to comment on this story today, even when we used our best puppy dog eyes - we should probably say that none of this is concrete. Yet the appearance of the story on a site as reputable as Eurogamer is certainly interesting, and as a result we're not dismissing it entirely.

Eurogamer's sources were certain of one thing however: at launch, software will carry a recommended retail price of £44.99, or $104AU. Whether retailers actually follow that recommendation is another question, though the sources quoted by the article seem quite certain that this is the price being bandied about to retailers by Microsoft. Apparently, the big 'M' is a little unhappy at having to do this, though claims that it's being driven by demands from third party publishers. We reckon Bill wants a new conservatory and, ooh, maybe an ornamental koi pool would be nice?

Anyway, more news as soon as Microsoft or other 'highly-placed sources' cough it up.
------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you make of this? Personally I just refuse to believe it. A price point of over $400USD doesn't sound right to me. It breaks J. Allards words of a price around $300USD. Besides, why jack up the price just to compete with Sony in that way? Why would consumers want two ridiculously overpriced consoles on the market?

damn...I'm not paying $400 for a console and most people won't either I hope they would know that.

Double_Diablo
08-06-2005, 11:28 AM
damn...I'm not paying $400 for a console and most people won't either I hope they would know that.
Actually £299 is a wee bit more than $400USD... According to the xe.com currency converter... erm... I'll let the statistics show you what I mean:

299.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 531.787 USD
United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.77855 USD 1 USD = 0.562255 GBP
Try $531USD if this article is actually correct.

I'm merely trying to state that a $300-$400 price point would be more reasonable than the $531 price point the article is speculating.

chronicmastrbtr
08-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Actually £299 is a wee bit more than $400USD... According to the xe.com currency converter... erm... I'll let the statistics show you what I mean:

299.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 531.787 USD
United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.77855 USD 1 USD = 0.562255 GBP
Try $531USD if this article is actually correct.

I'm merely trying to state that a $300-$400 price point would be more reasonable than the $531 price point the article is speculating.

$400 USD is still to much in my opinion.