PDA

View Full Version : something wrong with xbox

chronicmastrbtr
08-06-2005, 01:44 PM
ok ok ok I need help and this is my problem. I've rented ninja gaiden and fable from blockbuster multiple times and multiple copys and my xbox can read them but at a certain point in the game (as I might add its the exact same point all the time) it says "There's a problem with the dic you're using. It may be dirty or damaged." Is it my xbox or what because its really starting to piss me off.

EDIT: I have used the Maxell DVD Lens Cleaner on it and still the same problem...is my drive ****ed up?

George89
08-06-2005, 01:46 PM
if you have one of the old xbox drives, it does develop problems reading discs. I had a warrenty so luckily i was able to trade in my xbox and get a new one. If you xbox is relativly new, you might just have a buildup of dust somewhere on or near the disc drive :confused:

chronicmastrbtr
08-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Hmmm I doubt it is dust build up considering it can read it but just at a certain point in the game it does it. I've rented two copys of fable and the same thing happened on both at the same exact spot.

George89
08-06-2005, 01:56 PM
you probably have one of the old drives. if your drive has a half oval looking thing with two little circles in the corners, then you have a new one. If you have just the half oval looking thing on the disc tray, you have one of the old ones--which tended to have a lot of problems reading discs.

chronicmastrbtr
08-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I will check is it when you actually just open up the disc tray you can see it?
OK, I opened the disc tray and its just like a U all the way into the xbox no holes or anything else.

EDIT: Yessir I got the Thompson drive...**** just my luck

George89
08-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I will check is it when you actually just open up the disc tray you can see it?
OK, I opened the disc tray and its just like a U all the way into the xbox no holes or anything else.

EDIT: Yessir I got the Thompson drive...**** just my luck

yeah, so now unless you have a warrenty or you're willing to buy and install a new disc drive (or even get a new xbox) you'll have to deal with these errors

chronicmastrbtr
08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
yeah, so now unless you have a warrenty or you're willing to buy and install a new disc drive (or even get a new xbox) you'll have to deal with these errors

**** man a Samsung dvd drive is 150 bucks
They got Thompson drives for cheaper but what good would that do me...

Ninjermy
08-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Dude, for 150 you can buy an xbox plus controller/games.

Get the Thompson, I've had mine 2 years (I also bought it used) and I've only had like 6 disk errors in that time (and the disk always worked second try).

George89
08-07-2005, 12:01 PM
but i bet if you wanted to, you could probably find an xbox for cheap on amazon.com or ebay, since there are probably people saving up for xbox 360

Brutus
08-19-2005, 01:27 AM
I've replaced my Thomson's twice, but thats now, GOSH! 4 SOLID YEARS of non-stop LAN's & everything else I've thrown at the darn thing... I'm quite impressed. You might want to try turning up the Potentiometer on your Disc's eye, but I'm sorta' getting into the grey area as far as the MOD-speak goes here on this sight... so I'll stop.

With the Xbox reading DVD 9's, there are dual layers. sometimes these DVD drive's eyes, if they're not strong enough, don't get a signal back and give you the DDE is all I'm saying.

Hope it helps. I'd just replace the drive though. I got my last Thomson, delivered, for under 30 bucks. It was like $27 something.