PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive optional, was does this mean?

StudioAlex
08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Basically, it means the hard drive is going to see little use, because publishers can't justify spending money developing games for an add on that probably less than half of the user base is going to own. Good job, Microsoft, just when I think you're doing everything right, you do something incredibley stupid.

Double_Diablo
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Microsoft screwed up. They're envisioning all these "wonderful media capabilities" for the Xbox 360, but honestly: who cares? I wanted the hard drive for better game performance not to store movies and media on!

George89
08-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree with MS's mistake, but actually you'd be suprised about how many people are going to get the one with the hard drive. Here's how i see it, if you want the one with the hard drive, it's $400 and you'll never really need to buy any other memory for it. If you buy the $300 version, you HAVE to get memory cards for it, and a 64MB memory card for Xbox 360 costs $40 for each!!!!!!!!

i'M just worried about the whole memory business because if i get games like Oblivion that are so open ended and i like to have a lot of files for them.

laughs
08-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Damnit!!! Now I may have to get the $400 one

wulkar
08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
i second that

George89
08-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm screwed now, since i was hoping it'd be $300 for the console and the hard drive, but now even if i get the $300 version, i'll be spending at least $340 since you have to buy a $40 64MB memory card to save your game. so i'm going to have to wait for the price drop :cry: :crying:

ShannonX
08-17-2005, 10:11 PM
yup, i'll also be waiting, for a long time before i even consider getting one. I will get one when I can get an xbox and harddrive for 300 bucks, not before.

Ford Mustang
08-17-2005, 10:27 PM
It'll be the same thing as the PS2 hard drive. It's been proven that peripherals don't sell that well, so I wouldn't be surprised if most developers chose not to utilize the hard disk.

Highlite23
08-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, I'm not saying I like the whole 2 versions bit but if I use myself as the subject...

I'll want the remote, the hard drive, High Def Cables, and a 1st party wireless (Sweet), thats going to cost me a little more than $100, so I'm in.

Of course I'm not the norm mind you, but XBOX backers who have grown used to the HD will most likely go $400.

On a side note, this is only happening because the rumors that the PS3 is going to be around $500 makes MS's 360 the more affordable unit even at $400.

This is still business boys and girls.

Bakeman
08-17-2005, 10:48 PM
OH NO THEY AREN'T GOING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE HD!?!?!?

Hello! The HD was used for cacheing stuff, to speed up load times. That's because there are all kinds of bottlenecks in the xbox. The system is old and the technology isn't that good.

Technology has grown soooo much, the same bottlenecks don't exsist, there for a HD for cacheing isn't needed.

George89
08-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, I'm not saying I like the whole 2 versions bit but if I use myself as the subject...

I'll want the remote, the hard drive, High Def Cables, and a 1st party wireless (Sweet), thats going to cost me a little more than $100, so I'm in.

Of course I'm not the norm mind you, but XBOX backers who have grown used to the HD will most likely go $400.

On a side note, this is only happening because the rumors that the PS3 is going to be around $500 makes MS's 360 the more affordable unit even at $400.

This is still business boys and girls.

yeah, plus there probably even be a price drop by next year for the 360. now that i think about it, i do think it was a good move by MS. A lot of people don't want to spend too much on a console, and if they didn't have the stripped down $300 version, and only offered the $400, there'd be all those people who would have to wait for a price drop.

Bakeman
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
what is all this talk about people don't want to pay so much for a system.. and 300 and 400 is to much for a system...

Didn't the xbox cost 300.. didn't the ps2 cost 300 (or more?).... didn't the PS cost 300 ... I can't remember when a system didn't cost close to 300 dollars at launch. And these damn things sell like crazy at launch.

George89
08-18-2005, 09:04 AM
what is all this talk about people don't want to pay so much for a system.. and 300 and 400 is to much for a system...

Didn't the xbox cost 300.. didn't the ps2 cost 300 (or more?).... didn't the PS cost 300 ... I can't remember when a system didn't cost close to 300 dollars at launch. And these damn things sell like crazy at launch.

but the good version costs $400, and even if you buy the $300 one, you'll have to spend at least $340 because you have to get a $40 memory card.

squid413
08-18-2005, 10:18 AM
I think the hard drive should come with all systems, but otherwise this is a pretty good choice by ms. The only thing i don't like is that the $400 version only comes with the HD cables. So then you have to buy the normal AV cables for standard def gaming. I play in my room and don't have an HDTV there. It would be better if it came with both.

Ninjermy
08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Just get the 400 dollar package and don't cheap out. If your going to buy a memory card and the 300 dollar package, well you were 60 dollars short of getting a 2,000MB memory card, WIRELESS controller, headset, ethernet cord, and a wireless remote control.

400>300

StudioAlex
08-18-2005, 11:26 AM
I want to see more games with entire worlds in them like elder scrolls. This turn of events makes that a lot less likely. Elder Scrolls will require a hard drive. It's going to come out, but what about after that? Publishers won't indulge devlopers who want to make a game that can only play on half the xbox 360 install base. This might be a smart profit move on MS's part, but it screws us diehard gamers over. You know, the people who might want to utilize the HD for something other than Velocity Girl's dumb ass t-shirt she made for tony hawk and wants to charge you 2 bucks for.

Dj Logical 1
08-18-2005, 11:42 AM
well i've been hearing that the reason you will need to purchase a 400 dollar one, is if you are going to use the old xbox version games. Thats all i've heard

wbio
08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Game developers can still take advantage of the HDD for things like cacheing. MS has said that games will be able to detect whether there is a HDD on the Xbox or not, and if there is, it will cache things to the HDD, if not then it won't. So people with HDDs will have faster loading times than those without. 85% of the X360s that ship will be the premium package while only 15% will be the Core version. Most users will still have a HDD and that should convince most developers to take advantage of it. Not all will, but most probably will take advantage of the HDD. The HDD is still going to be used, don't worry.

Tony_Macaroni
08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
yup, i'll also be waiting, for a long time before i even consider getting one. I will get one when I can get an xbox and harddrive for 300 bucks, not before.

thats my answer too :confused:

J0Hn790
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
if you buy the 400 dollar version of xbox 360 will it come with the normal tv hookups aswell as the hd cables because i dont own a hdtv

Bakeman
08-24-2005, 10:37 PM
if you buy the 400 dollar version of xbox 360 will it come with the normal tv hookups aswell as the hd cables because i dont own a hdtv

According to some reports... and the scanned brouchers that came out a few days ago yes. The $400 package will come with both Component HDAV Cable and Composite AV Cable.

I don't have an HD TV but I do have the Component connection on the back of my TV. And it does look better then the composite.. Text isn't as blurry, etc..etc..
Just saying you don't have to have an HDTV to have Component hookups.