PDA

View Full Version : Xbox HDTV Problem

GZimmer
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I just got a Sony 19" LCD/TV (MFM-HT95) for College since its space saving. I connected the Xbox with the component cables (microsoft ones) directly to the LCD. I enabled 420/720/1080 in the Xbox start up menu.

The problem is It looks like a jaggy mess. Textures seem fairly blurry also, and maybe slightly worse as a hole than what it would look like on a normal TV.

Am i missing something?

powerslave
09-01-2005, 09:19 AM
LCD is not good for anything but computers.
and it seens your tv is HD ready and dosent have a hd tuner built in.

The MFM-HT95W supports 480i (NTSC), 480p, 720p (high definition), and 1080i (high definition) video signals. The tuner itself is NTSC and does not decode ATSC HDTV broadcasts.

ll Mista GT ll
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
LCD is not good for anything but computers.
and it seens your tv is HD ready and dosent have a hd tuner built in.

The MFM-HT95W supports 480i (NTSC), 480p, 720p (high definition), and 1080i (high definition) video signals. The tuner itself is NTSC and does not decode ATSC HDTV broadcasts.

So.... in English, he's pretty much screwed? :confused:

powerslave
09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
he can buy one of these one of these (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007WWI24/qid=1125586149/sr=52-5/ref=sr_52_5_etk-pc/104-6051805-7237550?v=glance&s=electronics&n=541966)

GZimmer
09-01-2005, 09:59 AM
In terms of console gaming should I expect a better picture with the 360, or am i still screwed since its LCD?

powerslave
09-01-2005, 10:14 AM
the picture will always be blury with LCD.
get a tube tv with a ATSC tuner buit in if you don't have space for a big rear projection tv. if you do have space for one,get a DLP.

ll Mista GT ll
09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
No way! I sure If he gets a VGA box or something he'll be fine! He doesn't need to buy 200$$$ worth of stuf.

LCD is always crisp and clean.... It shouldn't be blurry... At Best Buy, they have 2 xboxes hooked up through a VGA box to the LCD... It looks awsome. :confused:

Anyways, I just think that the case might be that you have to screw aroung with your settings :)

powerslave
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
go here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/) and ask some of the people whats best for you and in your budget.

powerslave
09-01-2005, 10:22 AM
VGA!

forgot all about that. yeah,vga could work too. as for blury,it will still be but not as much as what you see now.

GZimmer
09-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Just get a VGA connector?

powerslave
09-01-2005, 10:32 AM
i had my xbox hooked up to my moniter for a while with vga,it works well.
that was years ago.

OC Noob
09-06-2005, 12:02 AM
How far are you sitting back from the screen and what game are you playing?

Enter the Matrix in 1080i looks like poop and a lot of 720p games seem to sacrefice quality for resolution and I'm not sure if this is why, but textures to make a 720p game almost certainly need more RAM than whatever is left over from the 64 mb for texture use.

480p seems to be the way to go and looks very nice.

ps did anyone else see Madden (06) on the PS2 vs Madden on the Xbox? EB had them set up side by side on the same model TV with RCA cables and man, the Xbox looked so much better. Not only were the jaggies much better on the box, but the textures looked more crisp and detailed. I wonder if its due to better textures or effects like AF (anisoscopic filtering (sp?).

pps the xbox is sweet, but it doesn't have the balls to run high quality games at 720p so the 360 will look SO much better, probably even without HD too.

Trento52
09-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Well i am ordering xbox HDTV cables but it looks good the way it is, but does my TV have a tuner or is it atleast any good for gaming? Plus what is NTSC and PAL/SECAM all about?

http://www.benq.ca/Products/LCDTV/index.cfm?product=514&page=specifications

squid413
09-14-2005, 03:42 PM
He doesn't need to order anything else. He doesn't need a tv tuner in order for the xbox to output the signal in HD. As for it being blurry, maybe trying disabling 1080i and see what happens. Just play around with those settings and see what happens. But you shouldn't need to buy anything else to get it to work with that tv/monitor.

Edit- Trent- you should need only the HD pack. Not sure about what it means by full NTSC, but i would assume that means NTSC works. So you should be able to get it working with the HD pack

ShadedNine
09-14-2005, 09:29 PM
You don't require anything else to get a high definition signal working, but what sometimes happens is certain tvs or monitors will have absolutely awful upscalers built in, so when you feed them a signal that isn't in its native resolution, it botches it up good. What the better of those hdtv tuners do for you is scale the image to whatever resolution you set, then feed that to your tv. You can also buy dedicated upscalers for this purpose, or use an HTPC (however, that option doesn't work for gaming, since there's a small delay from tuner to output).

For example, some ultra high end projectors *require* an scaler to even function...they will not accept any input not in the native resolution, but are generally sold with their upscaler (sort of like any normal projo, but split into 2 boxes).

Trento52
09-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Edit- Trent- you should need only the HD pack. Not sure about what it means by full NTSC, but i would assume that means NTSC works. So you should be able to get it working with the HD pack

Cool, thanks for the advice, have the HD pack coming tommorrow!

mattgame
09-15-2005, 07:42 PM
So a rear projection tv is better than a tv with LCD? I am lost.

ShadedNine
09-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Not neccessarily. Both offer roughly the same resolutions. An LCD Tv will be slimmer and lighter, and sometimes brighter as well, but you'll pay a lot more for the same size as a rear-projection, and it can't go nearly as big.

Personally I prefer rear projection, since I have no use for slim and lightweight TVs, I want it big. But if I were to install a swivel mount tv in my kitchen or bathroom, I'd obviously use LCD. They're also good as computer monitors since it's not practical to project onto a screen much smaller than 40".

My favorite is front projection (which is the only reasonable means to attain screen sizes larger than 70"), but this certainly doesn't suit everyone, as the quality of your screen is greatly influenced by ambient light in the room.

mattgame
09-15-2005, 08:35 PM
This is the thing. I want a nice sized tv, hd built in, that I can game on from all angles. I saw some projection tv's that I couldn't see if I sat on the side of the screen.

OC Noob
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
This is the thing. I want a nice sized tv, hd built in, that I can game on from all angles. I saw some projection tv's that I couldn't see if I sat on the side of the screen.

Its going to depend on the model, but some DLp's offer nice viewing angles and can be seen as far as you want be on either side.

ps LCD rear projections are a lot like DLP's and have decent blacks now with a new technology (3lcd or something like that). I think they are just about equal to DLP now. Atleast, the 2 mitsubishi's I saw tha were pretty much the same boxes with both technologies side by side. So for the guys looking to buy LCDs come in the thin wall mount units and the larger DLP style rear projection with the same deal as DLP's where you have a light bulb (cartrige I think) that needs to be changed every few years, which is easy to do.

ShadedNine
09-16-2005, 08:53 PM
I think what tends to confuse people is that we usually think of LCDs as the big 15"-50" inch panels that you see on the outside of every LCD screen and tv. These are what we use for LCD TVs, but not for LCD projectors or rear-projectors. There's another form of LCD, using the same technology, but it packs all the pixels into a tiny little screen roughly the size of a pentium chip. Often, 3 of these are used as mentioned above.

This is what these LCD chips look like in a front projection unit:
http://www.epson.co.jp/e/technology/htps/img/htps_3.jpg

and a DLP chip:
http://202.186.86.35/audio/articles/2004/5/6/audiofile/gold4.jpg

As for viewing angle...it varies across all kinds of tvs from 180 to 10 degree cones.