PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Microsoft??

Eddy186
09-04-2005, 05:53 PM
What is wrong with microsoft not including hard drive standard in every x360,that would help give them an edge over competition. :bang: oh yeah does anyone have any every10minutes code that they dont need.

Eddy186
09-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to mention, Y doesnt microsoft say screw toshiba and go with NEC for HD DVD. NEC's HD DVD can hold more than toshibas and read faster. Not including HD DVD in the first x360 could be bad, just as bad as not having Hard Drive. First if they release dvd then hd dvd for x360 then if developers make games using the
hd dvd format then how are people with dvd going to read it. Anyways the dvd disc are already running out of space for developers. One more thing, microsoft's final version of developements kits has arrived.

George89
09-04-2005, 08:02 PM
What is wrong with microsoft not including hard drive standard in every x360,that would help give them an edge over competition. :bang: oh yeah does anyone have any every10minutes code that they dont need.

well then they'd just have the standard be the $399 one and we would never had the option to have a $299 xbox 360. FOr the people that don't need all the memory, it was a good idea for Microsoft to provide a system just for them, since if they don't need 20GB of memory, why should they have to spend $100 extra for it?

Ford Mustang
09-04-2005, 08:46 PM
That's exactly it. It's not necessary for everyone, as not everyone needs the memory space or plays games that will utilize it. I think it was a good idea to have two options. It's sort of like offering a V-6 or a V-8 in a car.

Whisper
09-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Just as long as we dont have to buy gas for the system.

ShannonX
09-04-2005, 11:58 PM
i'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say NEC hd-dvd holds more? hd-dvd = hd-dvd, there is no difference between backers of it.

the only difference in hd-dvd is the "type" of disk it is.

HD-DVD-ROM Single layer = 15GB
HD-DVD-ROM Double layer = 30GB

HD-DVD-R Single layer = 15GB
HD-DVD-R Double layer = 30GB

HD-DVD-RW Single layer = 20GB
HD-DVD-RW Double layer = 32GB

SamSmith
09-05-2005, 01:16 AM
its money of course, MS do want to earn a profit of course, so giving people choice is the obvious answer. and HD-DVD however good, and may be seen in the console in the future, is more expensive to use and i doubt all that disk space will ever actually be used.

Conchord
09-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, for a lot of people who play sports games, they just jump on and want to get into a game of football. There is no need for it. The same for LIVE players...you can just save a profile on a memory card and have at it.

Polarwind
09-05-2005, 03:38 AM
The whole system is priced out of reach of most players. So it isn't all that important.
I'd say a HD is necessary, but what do I know? I don't work for MS, I just play the games...

Tony_Macaroni
09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
yea i dont know if i really NEED the HD ....... but i figure i might as well pay that extra money and not regret it later .....

Eddy186
09-05-2005, 10:51 PM
The Hard Drive not only enhances the performance of the system, would would be able to download new things to your x360 which could be more then just downloading new maps but to fix bugs or to make the 360 run faster. There would be no point practically to even have a hard drive since everyone wont have it to take advantage of these features. I say screw the people who dont want the hard drive. I say if Microsoft had never offered the option you would just as well get the $399 dollar version. Please dont tell me that you dont want the 20 gig drive, your just saying that because you feel you have to justify the option.

Eddy186
09-05-2005, 10:53 PM
That's exactly it. It's not necessary for everyone, as not everyone needs the memory space or plays games that will utilize it. I think it was a good idea to have two options. It's sort of like offering a V-6 or a V-8 in a car.

Its just like you said offering a v6 or v8 but you have to make the parts work for the v6 which wont maximize the performance of the v8 which then there would be no point in having a v8.

Eddy186
09-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Anyway the hardcore gamers are the ones who make the profits for the company. A casual gamer just buy system and one game and nothing else where are the profits in that. IF you offer one option to the casual they will go for it just as well when the price drops.

Eddy186
09-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Any way i have to post this but this website is poorly informed and so are most of the people who post here. people always complain how expensive consoles are getting but they forget about inflation. There is a article about this in www.ign.com I would suggest going there.

OC Noob
09-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Anyway the hardcore gamers are the ones who make the profits for the company. A casual gamer just buy system and one game and nothing else where are the profits in that. IF you offer one option to the casual they will go for it just as well when the price drops.

You need to hang out here more because you are clueless. I guess being banned won't make that easy though...

Anyway, casual gamers are where the money is at because there are hundreds of them to every one of us.

Casual gamers are the reason all those crappy movie titles will always be made and sell well enough to make money. Casual gamers are why WoW has 2-3 million subs.

Hardcore gamers are the core, but casual gamers are the Zerg that fund the industry.

ps those in glass houses...

pps Eddy, watch the double, triple and quad posts as there is an edit button and upping your post count that way is frowned upon.

Whisper
09-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Yikes! the dreaded quadruple post! that has't been seen since the days of Burning Ranger!

Ninjermy
09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
oh yeah does anyone have any every10minutes code that they dont need.

:rofl:

laughs
09-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Six in a row baby!!!!! Six....Check it http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71367&page=1

Conchord
09-06-2005, 12:25 PM
That doesn't count, he was trying to display all of his .gifs.

It doesn't denote from his n00b factor, though.

MXracer721
09-06-2005, 11:26 PM
That doesn't count, he was trying to display all of his .gifs.

It doesn't denote from his n00b factor, though.
wow and u just hit 3000 posts...................CRAZY thats alot

Conchord
09-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I think you have completely missed out on the differences between "n00b" and "newbie", but then again, I don't know which is worse

...knowing it or not knowing it.

Tony_Macaroni
09-07-2005, 06:27 AM
wow and u just hit 3000 posts...................CRAZY thats alot

yea me and u r still in the low hundreds :crying:

Whisper
09-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Yes.. it matters so much how many posts you have. It means everything. You can't get a job if you don't have posts.

MXracer721
09-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes.. it matters so much how many posts you have. It means everything. You can't get a job if you don't have posts.
i never said it mattered, i was just stating the fact that he had just hit 3000 posts and that is alot. nothing more, nothing less. i've been here for 2 years and only have just over 300 posts.........so obviously i dont care that much about post count.

swivel
09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
This is weird. I'm usually the one taking threads off topic, yet here I am steering it back on.

The original poster has some good points, just not a wonderful delivery. I've been a PC gamer for 12 years and there aren't many consoles I haven't owned. Just to give you some background.

I have always thought that the console's number one benefit is it's sameness. Every developer knows what every gamer has at home. Any attempt to mess with this sameness has resulted in disaster. It is the reason that PC games still come on CD-ROM instead of DVD (recently a few games have come on both). Even though nearly every PC in the universe now has a DVD-ROM, developers will not take the chance. So I get games that come on 8 CD's and take forever to install.

The same thing is going to happen to the XBox 360. And it stinks.

Look at the Sega CD-ROM, the Playstation2 Hard Drive, the Gamecube/GBA hookup. None of them got the support they deserved because of the hesitant user base. It is what we call a negative feedback cycle... there aren't many games for a device, so no one buys the device, so developers don't make any games for the device, so..... you see.

I already have games that come on more than one DVD, and in the near future, nearly all games will be over 9 GB. Why? High-Def. The 1080i and 720p formats have more than twice the information than standard def. Every cutscene, every background, every polygon, every texture will take up more space. Also, with all the extra power, the 360 will be storing more polygons in general. Welcome to the era of multiple DVD games. (And having to switch them during play, which is bad for RPG's where you go to another town and have to swap discs every time).

Here is the common thread between the DVD and the HD decisions... the same negative feedback cycle. The reason my PC games have been on CD for 10 years. Developers have to assume (and even Microsoft is telling them this) that every user has a Core system and a DVD drive. So that is how all the games are going to be written.

Now, most developers have stated that this won't impact their games, but even if they are right about these games... what about the next 5 years? There is so much potential with a hard drive and it is not going to be used. The HD is going to be a place that Microsoft annoys you. It will download movie trailers and game previews without asking you.

My favorite thing about the XBox now is the HD. I love not having to shuffle memory sticks. I love how fast games save and load. I love getting extra content. This is just a very, very bad decision by Microsoft.

As for the DVD choice, the same thing applies. Every game will come on DVD, even when the HD-DVD version is released. By then the user base will be too large to support the late-comer. A few will probably get a dual-release, but not many. And I bet for the extra cost of upgrading, you could get a standalone HD-DVD player that does a better job of playing High-Def movies. Because that is all the XBox 360 will be using it for.

I'm a hardcore gamer. I play nearly every game on every system that I can. Even though I try not to take sides, the American in me is really pulling for the XBox to take off. I like the technology, I like a few of the franchises already. These two decisions, while not slowing down my purchase one bit, have made me very sad. Because I understand the future of this sytem, and I can see the future of a better system. And the difference takes the "next" out of next-gen.

swivel
09-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I just read that HD-DVD is going for an extra later, and someone built a Blue-Ray reader that can acquire four layers... which means a whopping 100GB of data on a single disc!

Man.. if they can make that rewritable, it will take off as a storage medium.

Conchord
09-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Which is why you made yourself a thread patting yourself on the back for making 10k posts. :confused:

Duke
09-09-2005, 12:21 PM
hah, not to talk ****, but xbocks almost made my aim list if he had it listed.

i agree that post count means nothing, but i never made a celebratory thread about mine either.

edit: AND MAKiNG MY AIM LIST IS A HUGE HONOR RESERVED FOR THE FEW OK??!?!?!?!?

swivel
09-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I like making fun of those idiots in other forums by celebrating random post counts... oh, hey..... what in the world.....

THIS IS MY 52nd POST!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

52, BABY. SAY IT WITH ME. IN ALL CAPS, PEOPLE.

FIFTY TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yo peeps u suX0rz!!!!!! my fitty2 in da hizzy!!!!!!!!!!

F*****g idiots.

Conchord
09-09-2005, 05:24 PM
you know, if u just typed "focking" with a u instead of o it would come out as ****ing, no need to pre-star the word.

Just a tip.

hah, not to talk ****, but xbocks almost made my aim list if he had it listed.

U were gonna talk **** to me on AIM? Why?

What??

edit

There its up now.

ShadedNine
09-09-2005, 06:09 PM
I'll add that I agree that the decision to can the HD as mandatory is a poor one.

I'm not too worried about less support for streamed content and the like, as I suspect the hard drive will be *required* for xbox live, which is the general distribution method for extra content anyway. What bothers me is that most developers won't even bother writing in HD support for any more than savegames. Personally, I'd rather see more games like Dungeon Siege (1/2) and numerous others that pre-load the next "level" or area as you approach it. With the exception of teleporting or other unexpected changes, the game can function smoothly without *any* load screens interrupting gameplay.

One of my greatest pet-peeves in gaming is situations where I'm loading a game or performing some other repetitive tasks, and between each one I have to go through a loading process as the stupid game dumps all the data then has to reload 99% of the same information back.

Besides that, with a realistically sized hard drive, the lack of HD DVD wouldn't even be an issue, since extra discs could simply be loaded to the drive a la PC. I would at least like to have support for that option (not just from the hacker community) using my own drives.

swivel
09-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm worried that Microsoft is making bad decisions because they don't really care whether or not we enjoy gaming on their system. I know that sounds odd, but perhaps they only care about market penetration. Getting as many systems in as many homes as possible. Bombarding us with the Live Marketplace, with paid ads, with movie previews, with monthly fees for MMRPG's.

I feel like if they were serious about the games, the HD would be mandatory and a more spacious optical drive would be standard. 8.5 GB is not going to cut it for this generation.

ShadedNine
09-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately, there are few to no hardware builders or game publishers out there that do care. Not to say there aren't any, but they're getting rare. I wouldn't blame Microsoft for this, it's called business...blame cheap people who don't know why they want or should be forced to have a hard drive, and would decide against purchasing the xbox on the grounds of having to pay for one :P.

As for going HD DVD....that's a tough call to make, especially since the format war vs blu-ray isn't just not over, it hasn't even begun. On top of that, the specifications for HD DVD are not yet finalized, and even if MS were allowed to go ahead and begin manufacturing consumer drives, upcoming changes may render the format incompatible with the outside world.

Toshiba is working with other manufacturers to create a big grand launch for HD-DVD sometime around mid 2006. I very much doubt they will license the technology to anyone prior to that.

swivel
09-10-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't get the format war argument. Makes no sense to me at all. Microsoft needs to quit thinking about the XBox2 being the future of movie players. HD-DVD will still play DVD movies, and allow for more space for games.

So what if the format loses? The N64 cartridge didn't take over the world either. And I doubt the Gamecube's minidisc will go anywhere else.

There won't be enough people that own a large enough collection of HD movies in five years for anyone to make a console decision based on the format. The XBox2 needs it for space, nothing else.