PDA

View Full Version : HDTV 16:9 or 4:3

Hedao
09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know if the Xbox 360 will display games in HD on a 4:3 aspect ratio Tv ?
I am looking at getting a tube HDTV, I just don't want to drop big bucks on a flat panel tv at this time. I am looking at a 34" widescreen and a 36" 4:3 setup. I am also going to have to update my reciever and directTv box. If I am not mistaken I should not need a built in HDTV tuner to display Xbo 360 games in HD. Let me know if I am misguided here, don't be afraid my wife lets me know all the time.

Thanks

Hedao

LynxFX
09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
All HD resolutions are in the 16x9 aspect ratio. Watching HD on those 4x3 HDTV's will just letterbox the HD image keeping the proper aspect ratio of the source, but giving you black bars as well. Like watching a widescreen movie on a standard def tv.

Games will be no different on the X2. They will be displayed widescreen in the HD resolutions. Of course they could screw the pooch like Soul Calibur 2 and make it 720p and 4x3. WTF were they thinking?! But that happening with the next gen is slim...we hope.

So in other words, get that 34" widescreen. Just don't break your back moving that 200+ pound monster.

And no, you won't need a tuner to view games. You will for directTV HD, but they will provide you with that.

Hedao
09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
So in other words, get that 34" widescreen. Just don't break your back moving that 200+ pound monster.

Hey isn't that what the wife is for =). Thank for the info I liked the 34 widescreen better anyway.

swivel
09-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Lynx is right. Everyone should go widescreen with any new TV purchases. It fits the DVD's, and in the future, all TV content will be released with the widescreen format in mind.

ShadedNine
09-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Few if any systems offer 4:3 aspect ratio in high definition. You might find em with that edtv bs, but "high definition", whether you consider it to be 480p, 720p or 1080i or even 1080p, sits at 16:9. About the only way I can think of to get a high definition 4:3 setup is to run a XGA or better projector, but even then you're going to be scaling and dealing with the letterboxes, which is gonna cost you quality or dough (and if you have the bucks to drop on a good scaler, why worry about all this in the first place?)