PDA

View Full Version : Missing accessory for $399 Xbox 360, as originally stated by MS

Herne theHunter
09-07-2005, 09:20 PM
In the e-mail I received from xbox.com today (9/7/05), when I clicked the link close to the bottom labeled "News: Leipzig Xbox 360 Announcement: Everything fit to print about Xbox 360.", it opened a page on the xbox.com site, dated today, that listed the contents and prices for the two different packagings of the Xbox 360 system, as well as the basic info and prices for several of the additional accessories that will be available, but I noticed something missing. A few weeks ago, when Microsoft released the information about the pricing of the two "variations" of the Xbox 360, and what would be contained in each package, there was one additional item, which according to the information they released today, that seems to have been removed from what the $399 system will contain. As originally stated, they were including the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, but according to todays posting on xbox.com, that item is (supposedly) no longer going to be included in the packaging. Was the original list, which included this item, a lie, or was it a (supposed) "misprint"? Does anyone have any ideas about this? And to Microsoft, and your Xbox division, what do you have to say about this? :cuss:

laughs
09-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't know, but I see nothing about a faceplate either. I thought there was supposed to be a faceplate too.

swivel
09-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Great... Microsoft is pulling accessories, while Sony is scrapping features right out of the PS3. Just like Microsoft is pulling features from Longhorn.

I wish these guys would take a lesson from ID, and not say anything until it has a green light.

Herne theHunter
09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Longhorn? Isn't that some breed of steer? Last I heard, the next version of Windows is called Vista. :rofl:

As for the wireless ethernet adapter that was supposed to have been originally included with the $399 packaging of the Xbox 360, I am still waiting for a reply from Microsoft and/or thier Xbox team.

swivel
09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
True, but technically they didn't take anything out of Vista. The features were removed while the code was called Longhorn, and that final spec moved to Vista a few weeks ago.

(I live for semantic arguments :))

Duke
09-08-2005, 12:21 AM
It's been announced for quite awhile now that the wireless adapter was not included w/ the premium version. so, umm, rage on.

Bakeman
09-08-2005, 12:54 AM
I've been following this stuff forever..
I've seen all the scans of the Bouchers, Manuals, etc, etc..

Never have they said the network adapter was going to be a part of the package. The MTV Show had the adapter on the back of the 360, but they were just showing stuff off, they never said it was part of the system.

FacePlates.... in different leaked things like the pdf file... talks about the face plates. They are going to be $20 ... oh yeah... if you go to EBgames.com .. they are on the website.

swivel
09-08-2005, 12:56 AM
I think I'll be popping my original faceplate off and painting it myself rather than blowing 20 bucks a pop.

Herne theHunter
09-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Sounds like a hell of an idea...once I find my airbrush, and (hopefully) find my acrylics still good. Of course, since I sold the compressor a while back, that means I gotta use those frigging cans of compressed air, cause I am NOT gonna buy a new (or even used) compressor JUST to airbrush an Xbox 360 faceplate. Of course, I will BET that there are gonna be some damn cool looking faceplates available, including ones from 3rd party manufacturers (ESPECIALLY from 3rd parties). :cheers:

Herne theHunter
09-08-2005, 04:57 AM
In response to Duke "the horror of the horror", I specifically remember receiving an e-mail from GameSpy (one of their daily e-mails listing articles, gaming updates, etc) 2-3 weeks (closer to two) ago. In response to Bakeman, the MTV "preview" was nothing more than a "glamour show" to introduce the Xbox360. During the MTV broadcast, they NEVER mentioned ANYTHING about different packagings being offered. The primary purpose of the MTV show was to show off some of the capabilities of the Xbox360, but was mostly spent showing off the "online" capabilities. As for the GameSpy e-mail I mentioned, one of the article links, which led to a Microsoft press release site about the Xbox 360, was an article that talked a little about the fact that they were releasing two "variations" of the system. Below the main portion of the article was info on the pricing of the two "versions" of the Xbox360 systems to be released, plus info on certain accessories to be released. The "listings" section of the article was broken into three parts - the first taked about the "version" that would be the most sought after (the $399 system), with all the "extras", while the second talked about the "Core System" (for $299), and finally, the third section gave basic descriptions of certain accessories and their MSRP. Among the items mentioned being included in the $399 WAS the wireless ethernet adapter. I honestly wish I had saved that e-mail so that I could have gone to the site the link brought me to, copied it, pasted it into a Word document, and saved it as a *.doc file. Then I could have attached the file for Duke, Bakeman, and any other nay-sayers, who are of the belief that the wireless ethernet adapter was never mentioned as being included in the $399 System. Like I originally said, "maybe" the included mentioning of that item as part of that packaging was a "typo", "mistake", whatever you want to call it...but it WAS listed as being included.

Duke
09-08-2005, 05:11 AM
Awesome. I'm really not too worked up about this.

As far as I know this (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/aug05/08-17EuropeNA360PricePR.mspx) was the first official release.

Salmonaitor
09-08-2005, 10:27 AM
"Duke", why don't you "get" what "he's" "saying"? "Clearly" you're a "boob", and should "be" more in "touch". :hump:

Duke
09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
"Salmy" you're a tremendous "***got" and i "think" that "M$" is full of "lies"

edit: NOTICE HOW I SPELLED IT M$ NOW SAY IM NOT FUNNY

laughs
09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
"Salmy" you're a tremendous "***got" and i "think" that "M$" is full of "lies"

edit: NOTICE HOW I SPELLED IT M$ NOW SAY IM NOT FUNNY

You are incredibly funny :rofl:

StudioAlex
09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
THere's only one correction that needs to be made here: Duke's title should read "The whore the whore."

Duke
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
don't shoot the messenger mister big time studioalex

Salmonaitor
09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
don't shoot the messenger mister big time studioalex
"Hey"! "Studio Alex" is "BIG TIME", and "the messenger" is full of "manure". "Quotes" are "fun" to use to "get" your "point" "accross"! "Get IT?"

Duke
09-08-2005, 12:24 PM
"NO" "need more characters"

Bakeman
09-08-2005, 02:18 PM
would have been nice if you did save that e-mail/link
I only mentioned the show because it's the only thing I could remember showing the adapter with the system.

Atleast I can feel more confident about not getting e-mails from GameSpy since it seems they have crappy sources lol .. you say it went to something from MS though .. strange, just very strange

Herne theHunter
09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I KNOW this is ENTIRELY off topic, but I had to bring it up. In reference to some of you rfering to Microsoft as M$, personally, I have been, for many years, calling them "microsquish" (picked up from an old comic strip back in the late-80's/very early-90's - possibly, but not entirely sure, "Doonsberry"

wbio
09-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Microsoft originally said that the 360 was going to have a built in wireless adapter at E3 if I remember correctly, but ever since they announced the packages, they've listed the wireless adapter as an optional accessory not included in either version.

laughs
09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
All I want to know is, will there be a neat box, styrofoam, and perhaps even a little bubble wrap?

Herne theHunter
09-08-2005, 11:07 PM
:crying: :p First, in response to wbio's mentioning that microsquish said the 360 would have build-in wireless capabilities, he IS correct, but he is INCORRECT as to what he is refering to. The wireless capabilities have to to with the wireless controllers, not the ethernet connecton.

Now, an update on the "missing accessories" issue. In this case, its a "good news, bad news, more bad news, more good (at least in my case) news". The good news is that a friend of mine who is also on the GameSpy list remembers the same e-mail I do, and she checked out the same link I mentioned, and she also recalls there being mentioned "something" about ethernet "item" being included. The bad news is that, from what she remembers, it was not the wireless ethernet adapter that I originally thought it to be, but an ethernet cable (of unlisted length, of course - leave it to microsquish not to give that info). The more nad news is that, as anyone looking at the current list of items to be included in the two packagings of the Xbox 360 system will notice, the mentioning of ANY included ethernet item seems to have been removed, which means (possibly) that they have decided to remove the (originally stated) ethernet cable from the $399 packaging. As for the final set of news - the "more good (at least in my case) news" - I have now not only pre-ordered the $399 Xbox 360 System, I have also pre-ordered "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion". :hardcore:

So, now I am all set to start playing once the system hits the market...except for still having to pay for the frigging wireless ethernet adapter (cause I'll be damned if I'm gonna have to run another 50' ethernet cable around various parts of the house to attach the 360 to my router. :mad:

ShadedNine
09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Thank god they aren't including any ethernet cables of some misc length. The last thing i need is more of those ><.

I will definitely be wiring mine though, and not just because the cable is already run, but I want to be able to take advantage of high speed streaming of music and such. I would be quite surprised to learn that the xbox's wireless adapter will support 108Mbps...i'm guessing it'll be the standard G at 54.

I'd preorder Oblivion too, but...I remember how late Morrowind was from its earlier release dates, so I'll hold off to see which games actually make release :). The other scary thing is that with Morrowind, to get the expansions on xbox you needed the GOTY edition, which cost the same as the original. On PC, you just bought the expansions...since that may happen again (or likely will since we're still only getting a 20GB HD), I might steer for the PC version.

Bakeman
09-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Herne: if you check out this link to xbox.com (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/xbox360console.htm) you'll see they do mention the ethernet cable being with the core system. Then the $399 package includes everything with the core system plus the other stuff. Also EBgames.com (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/) list the ethernet cable in the package also. But they only list in under the Premium package. *shrug*

This bundle includes:

Xbox 360 Premium System ($399.00)

Xbox 360 Game Console
Wireless Controller
Combination High-Definition Component and Standard A/V Cable
20GB Hard Drive
Ethernet Cable
Headset
Bonus Media Remote
Xbox Live Silver
Xbox Live Gold 30-Day Trial

Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition
Dead or Alive 4
Kameo: Elements of Power
Project Gotham Racing 3
Extra Wireless Controller
Play & Charge Kit (for extra controller)
Extra Rechargeable Battery Pack

ShadedNine: Hey man, I thought I saw somewhere saying that the 360 Wireless adapter was going to do A/G 108Mbps .. but right now I can't find it. So I'll look around for confirmation on that.

Edit for ShadedNine Hey man, here is a link to Ebgames.com (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258841.asp) for the Wireless adapter. It doesn't give the speed, but it shows it uses A/B/G.

Xbox Live with no strings attached

* Dual band 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wireless A/B/G home network compatible
* Compact, high-performance design
* Powered by Xbox 360 to eliminate adapter clutter
* Streams photos and music from Microsoft Windows XP and recorded TV, movies, and videos from your Microsoft Windows XP Media Center based PC

OC Noob
09-08-2005, 11:55 PM
:crying: :p First, in response to wbio's mentioning that microsquish said the 360 would have build-in wireless capabilities, he IS correct, but he is INCORRECT as to what he is refering to. The wireless capabilities have to to with the wireless controllers, not the ethernet connecton.

Now, an update on the "missing accessories" issue. In this case, its a "good news, bad news, more bad news, more good (at least in my case) news". The good news is that a friend of mine who is also on the GameSpy list remembers the same e-mail I do, and she checked out the same link I mentioned, and she also recalls there being mentioned "something" about ethernet "item" being included. The bad news is that, from what she remembers, it was not the wireless ethernet adapter that I originally thought it to be, but an ethernet cable (of unlisted length, of course - leave it to microsquish not to give that info). The more nad news is that, as anyone looking at the current list of items to be included in the two packagings of the Xbox 360 system will notice, the mentioning of ANY included ethernet item seems to have been removed, which means (possibly) that they have decided to remove the (originally stated) ethernet cable from the $399 packaging. As for the final set of news - the "more good (at least in my case) news" - I have now not only pre-ordered the $399 Xbox 360 System, I have also pre-ordered "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion". :hardcore:

So, now I am all set to start playing once the system hits the market...except for still having to pay for the frigging wireless ethernet adapter (cause I'll be damned if I'm gonna have to run another 50' ethernet cable around various parts of the house to attach the 360 to my router. :mad:

"No" he's "right" I recall "reports", but nothing "official" of a built-in "wireless" access "point". I "don't" know "if" he's "right about" E3 "though".

Bakeman
09-08-2005, 11:58 PM
well "reports" .. even I can recall hearing something like even way before the MTV show about someone on the internet somewhere saying a bult-in wifi is going to be included..
you can't listen to that stuff and include it in a discussion about them pulling accessories from the package.

Herne theHunter
09-09-2005, 01:21 AM
If I recall correctly, the wireles adapter for the 360 is 802.11g...the same as for the original Xbox. The only difference, again, as far as I know, is that it plugs into one of the built-in USB ports. Of course, as with almost anything microsquish states, things can change on a moments notice. Think back to before Windows XP came out and how many "codenames" it had. At least the original Xbox was always "codenamed" Xbox from the beginning (at least as far as I remember). Of course, in my "old" age of 37 years, who knows how great my memory actually is these days. I've been a home video gamer since BEFORE the Atari 2600. The first home video game system, also made by Atari, was called "Atari Video Game System", didn't use ANY cartridges, and only had four pre-programmed games - pong, breakthrough, breakout, and pinball. Now THOSE were the days. :rofl:

Bakeman
09-09-2005, 01:50 AM
LOL Herne ... I had an Atari myself.. don't know which one.. I was really young. I just remember Pac-man, Donkey Kong (I think), and Pole Position (fav game). I'm 24, and I think I was like 4 to 6 when I had that. I got NES at 6 or 7.

Anyways about the wireless adapter Herne, if you scroll up to one of my previous post, you'll see that over at EBgames they claim the adapter does A/B/G

Herne theHunter
10-10-2005, 05:08 PM
LOL Herne ... I had an Atari myself.. don't know which one.. I was really young. I just remember Pac-man, Donkey Kong (I think), and Pole Position (fav game). I'm 24, and I think I was like 4 to 6 when I had that. I got NES at 6 or 7.

Anyways about the wireless adapter Herne, if you scroll up to one of my previous post, you'll see that over at EBgames they claim the adapter does A/B/G

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To start off with, you are correct about the wirelless adapter, for it is 802.11a/b/g, although I see _very_ few people using 802.11a due to its current high price.

As for the Atari you had, I will bet it was probably the 5200 (or the short-lived 7800). You are too young to have had the 2600, which I had before they changed the name to "2600". Not only did I have the "2600", I had the very firest video game system Atari made, that was just called "Atari Video Game System". As I mentioned, it didn't use any cartridges like all gaming systems from the 2600 through the N64, but instead had only the four pre-programmed gamed I mentioned above. Since this was in the days where almost no one had cable yet, even though cable TV was starting to expand, the system(s) (up until TV's started having RCA jacks) attached to the TV via a "selector switch" type of box that connected to the antenna input. You attached the "send" side to the TV, and there were two "receive" connectors", one for the antenna and one for the video game system. The box had a slideer-type switch that went back and forth between "TV" and "game"...and, of course, you HAD to have your TV on either channel 3 or 4, depending on which channel you had selected on the side of the selector switch box. Talk about ancient days...we have gone from video games with very crude graphics, and little "blips", "beeps", & "boops" for sound, to photorealistic graphics w/ 5.1 channel surround sound, and for those who have them, HD graphics on HDTV's. About the only place let to go, as far as I can see, is true 3D hollographic games...of course, that may take a while...but I'm sure we'll get there sooner or later...as for now...what the hell...we got the X360 coming...and as for those other two companies w/ systems coming out, all I can say to them is - GOOD LUCK !!! :jammin:

Mwright
10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
they never said 1 time that the wireless thing was coming with any package...microsoft is alreay going to lose money on the system because they are giving us A HUGE deal on the system as is and its gonna take them a few years to make on it anyway. and as we all kno sony has a track record of lying when they say how powerful there system is..its their way of geting more people 2 buy it

laughs
10-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Styrofoam!!! What about the styrofoam!!!!!

Jackyboy
10-10-2005, 07:46 PM
holy crap you guys type alot

mattgame
10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Meh, I just want the damn system to work.

ShaDovV RyDer
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm gonna start off by saying that you have a pretty strange way of looking at the MTV special. I could have sworn that all they showed was pretty lights, The Killers, and Xbox 360 system with all the nifty add-ons, a little segment about some pro gamers playing PD0, and some people acually playing PD0. I watched the whole thing and nothing really gave me the impression that they were talking about XBL.
Now that I have told you what that special was really about let's get on to the issue of the network adapter. I too thought that it was coming with the 360 until I saw the official release of the two packages. In other words it was all speculation of what MS was gonna put in the packages until it was officially announced. So the e-mail you got was probably not official.

Herne theHunter
10-14-2005, 11:50 PM
To answer two things that has been mentioned, and brought up, by several people...there is NO ethernet cable included in the "core" system, nor is there any "built-in" wireless access point for the X360. The only system to come with the ethernet cable is the $399 package, and as for wireless connection, the ONLY way to get wireless connection is to have a wireless ethernet adapter, whether it be the new one specifically for the X360, or one of the earlier ones for the Xbox & PS2. Any packages you find with a wireless adapter is a special packaging that that particular retailer put together for their own customers, which is the same as with any packages that include games...they are being put together by the retailer...NOT microsquish.

F1Ox
10-16-2005, 05:01 AM
In the e-mail I received from xbox.com today (9/7/05), when I clicked the link close to the bottom labeled "News: Leipzig Xbox 360 Announcement: Everything fit to print about Xbox 360.", it opened a page on the xbox.com site, dated today, that listed the contents and prices for the two different packagings of the Xbox 360 system, as well as the basic info and prices for several of the additional accessories that will be available, but I noticed something missing. A few weeks ago, when Microsoft released the information about the pricing of the two "variations" of the Xbox 360, and what would be contained in each package, there was one additional item, which according to the information they released today, that seems to have been removed from what the $399 system will contain. As originally stated, they were including the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, but according to todays posting on xbox.com, that item is (supposedly) no longer going to be included in the packaging. Was the original list, which included this item, a lie, or was it a (supposed) "misprint"? Does anyone have any ideas about this? And to Microsoft, and your Xbox division, what do you have to say about this? :cuss:

I never seem them say there including the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter!!! :bang:
What you get with $399 pirce tag. IS wirelss controller, Componet hd av cable,Headset and a 20 gd Hard drive. They never including the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter. REad electronic gaming. Its beenout for a few weeks now.

Herne theHunter
10-17-2005, 02:24 AM
REad electronic gaming. Its beenout for a few weeks now.

A few weeks you say? Go back and re-read my posting, for you will see that my posting specifically states that, as of that date (which was 9/7/05, meaning more than 5 weeks ago), that is when I received the e-mail from microsquish that I mentioned, and that the info I mentioned that showed the wireless adapter I had seen several weeks earlier than that (in other words, sometime during the first half of August, ie. more than 2 months ago). If you are going to make comments, and especially if you are going to quote someone, about date specific postings, then you really need to pay much more attention to the date(s) you are (attempting) to prove against. Yes, I realize magazines are sometimes printed a few weeks before they actually ship in most cases of monthly magazines, but such is NOT always the case, especially with magazines that cover industries that change about as fast as the Earth makes a full rotation (in plain English, that is one days time). Since I used to work in the gaming industry myself (in a matter of speaking), I know that, in the cases of a good number of computer and video game magazines (especially gaming mags), and even more so when a new, and highly expected, product is near release, they tend to push printing to the last minute so that they can include the latest information. Considering the X360 very easily fits into that catagory, I am quite sure this is one of those times. The X360, from what I have seen, is going to revolutionize the video gaming industry as we know it, and probably even more so than the PS3. As for the next Nintendo...don't even consider it in the running.

F1Ox
10-17-2005, 04:55 AM
A few weeks you say? Go back and re-read my posting,
NO :whistle:

laughs
10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
The packaging of the system is probably whats most important to me. I could care less about gameplay, system specs, upcoming titles, system extras yada yada yada! Just put it all in a nice little box and give me lots of styrofoam and I'm set. :)

Herne theHunter
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
The packaging of the system is probably whats most important to me. I could care less about gameplay, system specs, upcoming titles, system extras yada yada yada! Just put it all in a nice little box and give me lots of styrofoam and I'm set. :)

Tell ya what...why don't I just take the items out of the box, place all the styrofoam, plastic bags, twist-ties, etc. back in the box and sell it to you. You seem to be sooooooooooo hooked on styrofoam, that alone should keep you happy for quite a while. :whistle:

SH4MR0CK
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
It would have been cool if the adapter was included.