PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Compatibility and (possible) Data Transfer

Herne theHunter
09-09-2005, 07:41 PM
What is said below, I have also posted on the xbox.com forumns (which I KNOW the Xbox team pays attention to), so any responses I get (particularly from them) I will add to this thread, just so that people not on the xbox.com forumns can be kept informed to what is (supposedly) going on with any (possible) backwards compatibility between the Xbox and the Xbox 360. My original forumn posting is as follows :

There are TOOOOO many threads for me to search through to see if one on this subject already exists, so I am just starting one myself.

The are two major questions that need to be answered about the Xbox 360 (one of which was "hinted" at during the MTV show, but neither discussed or answered). First, and foremost, WILL the Xbox 360 be backwards compatible with original Xbox games? During the MTV show, it was mentioned that "certain Xbox games will be compatible with the 360", but what, exactly, does this mean? If only "certain" Xbox games will be compatible, which ones are they, and will a list of those games be made avaiable, and when will this list be available, or, were they just "teasing" us, and the truth is that all Xbox games will be backwards compatible? The second question is directly tied to the first. If (any) Xbox games ARE backwards compatible with the 360, considering the fact that most people stored their game data on the hard drive, will there be any way to transfer that data from the Xbox hard drive to the 360 hard drive, and if so, by what means (if it is already known) can this be done?

swivel
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I've read from Microsoft that data can not be moved from the Xbox to Xbox 2.

Bakeman
09-09-2005, 09:39 PM
In the broucher scans that were leaked on the internet a few weeks ago they show the xbox is backwards compatible. There is no mention of only some games being BC.

Also I believe there was an interview with someone from MS saying all games will be BC (might have mentioned eventually be BC).

Anyways I'll look around to see if I can find that info again.

I'm gonna start bookmarking this stuff so it's not so hard to find again.

Herne theHunter
09-10-2005, 12:19 AM
This information does NOT come from Microsoft, nor anyone associated with Microsoft, but I did find out something...which may, or may not be true, but felt needed to be posted. According to an individual who works in the game industry (can't give any more info than that...sorry), he said that, at least at initial release, ONLY the $399 version, w/ the included hard drive, will include the backwards compatibility. The reasoning for this is that, in order to make the 360 backwards w/ Xbox games, they have to use an emulator (similar in idea to the one used by Sony for the PS2 to play PS1 games). The primary reason, according to him, for the emulator is due to the graphics chips for the two systems coming from two competing companies, each of which use different technologies. Now, the reasoning for, supposedly, only the $399 system being backwards compatible at initial release is that the emulator is software (unlike the emulator for the PS2 that was placed in a ROM chip installed on the M/B) that has been installed on the included hard drive, along with the other additional content being added to the included hard drive being packaged w/ the $399 system. According to him, Microsoft may, or may not, install the emulation software on individually available hard drives at a later date. The way I look at it...and this IS speculation ONLY...is that MIcrosoft only plans on selling the $399 system for a certain amount of time, after which they will discontinue it, leaving only the "Core System" available. If that is the case, once that happens, that would be the time that they would start including the emulation software to the $99 hard drives. As for the other additional content being added to the hard drive for the $399 system...well, that I believe will never be made available on in $99 hard drive...that is purposely meant to be one of those "special bonuses" for those willing to pay the extra $100 for the 360 upon initial release.

On a slightly seperate topic, but still related...I'm just wondering how many people out there think that $99 for a 20GB hard drive, even if it IS enclosed in a cool looking attachable piece of plastic-covered metal, is a bit on the expensive side. I will assume that the hard drives for the 360 are the same drives used in laptops. Just to use one store as an example (and I KNOW you can find even lower prices from o/l retailers), Fry's Electronics sells a number of 40GB drives at $89.99. The only 20GB drive I could find on their site is selling for $69.99...but even at that price, that means Microsoft is charging $30 for the attachable casing. At another site, I found a large selection (27 choices) of 20GB drives available w/ prices ranging from $41 to $72 (so much for Fry's tag-line of "Always the lowest prices, guaranteed").

Herne theHunter
09-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Official word HAS been given...and by J Allard himself...about backwards compatibility for the Xbox 360. It WILL be backwards compatible. but there is, as might be expected, a catch. As I mentioned before, as reported to me by a friend, the backwards compatibility WILL require the hard drive, which would even more lead me to the belief that the emulator software (since it is obviously NOT in a ROM chip on the M/B) is stored on the hard drive, or, if not, then there is some software that activates a chip on the M/B allowing backwards compatibility. Whatever sceme they have gone with (which they haven't said), in order to play Xbox games on the Xbox 360, you MUST have the hard drive.

Bakeman
09-11-2005, 07:24 AM
besides the emulation software.... the plan and simple fact that EVERY Xbox game was designed with the HD.... so to successfully run an xbox game you need a HD.

And then yes, the emulation software will most likely be on the HD.

Herne theHunter
09-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Although there is still no word on whether or not the ability to transfer saved game data from Xbox to Xbox 360 will be availabile, and if so, how it would be done...but it HAS been brought up. According to Microsoft, they are still "looking into it".

Herne theHunter
09-12-2005, 12:54 AM
I can't add anything to backwards compatibility portion of this forum at this point, but I have taken care of making sure my gaming access takes priority over the computers on the network...I just ordered the D-Link "GamerLounge" DGL-4300 Wireless Router. Guess there goes one of my roommates enjoyments of watching streaming full-screen, full-motion video, and downloading huge and/or multiple files, if I decide I want to play games at the same time. :whistle:

Nato King
09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Check out this web site.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3143553&did=1

Herne theHunter
09-12-2005, 06:20 PM
According to Microsquish in their latest statement (dated within the past couple of weeks, for which I can't, unfortunately, remember the date they posted it on), they are working to guarantee that EVERY Xbox game will work on the Xbox 360...and that is the latest word.

Herne theHunter
09-24-2005, 03:34 AM
:watchout: I just took a look at the responses to the poll and wondered, WHY do people think the X360 shouldn't be backwards compatible? Do they really want to have to have two systems (especially when one of them is capable of playing games made for both), plugged into two power outlets, having to use two a/v connections (however they may be configured, be it directly to the TV, or through the additional use of a surround sound receiver), taking up extra space that could be used for something else, and if utilizing Xbox Live, having to have two connections, either via ethernet cable and/or wireless? :bang: It honestly makes NO sense to have both systems when one is more than capable of doing greatly what it does for its own games, but also what it can do for the original system's games. :confused:

BoogerBoy
09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Very true, that's why I say go for it MS. Make it where we can play our old games. PS3 is doing it, PS2 did it. Now I think X360 should do it.

wackyanimation
09-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Very true, that's why I say go for it MS. Make it where we can play our old games. PS3 is doing it, PS2 did it. Now I think X360 should do it.
yup! what about the people that dont have a xbox (like me)? i wanna get halo/2! good thing they are, and that they have a halo triple pack coming out in several days! :hardcore:

Herne theHunter
09-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Since wackyanimation decided to specifically mention Halo, I thought I should mention that, although there is still no confirmation to it, "supposedly" Microsoft is "penciling in" a released date to match the release date of PS3 for Halo 3. Talk about a hell of a way to knock the PS3 down a few notches. :hail:

OC Noob
09-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Since wackyanimation decided to specifically mention Halo, I thought I should mention that, although there is still no confirmation to it, "supposedly" Microsoft is "penciling in" a released date to match the release date of PS3 for Halo 3. Talk about a hell of a way to knock the PS3 down a few notches. :hail:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.html

If Bill Gates has his way and the game is finished it will be.

ps all the info you gathered about BC is covered in the BC thread in the "Xbox General Discussion" forum. Your secret source is passing off old info from an interview in a gaming mag with an MS exec. about emulation being used and the above poster is correct that Xbox games use the HD for file swapping and other things, so the core system without the hard drive can and never will be backwards compatible without purchasing the hard drive accessory. MS was considering re-coding popular Xbox games to run without using a hard drive, but scrapped the idea in lieu of emulation. I don't know what the Xbox.com forums are like, but like I said, all of this is in the 1 backwards compatability thread on the front page of the Xbox General Disscusion forum, no searching or sifting through threads required.

pps its nice to have an Xbox setup with your 360 if you have a modded Xbox or if you want to avoid the wear and tear on your 360 optical drive, as in the long run they aren't always the most durable component.

:cheers: