PDA

View Full Version : Live Reputation

Dompiece
09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't know if I like this "live Reputation" deal. It works for Ebay because people's lively-hood depends on trusting they won't rip each-other off. In online gaming you have no incentive to giving someone a neg. or pos. rating. People respond to reward i.e. getting your merchandise in a timely fashion. If I'm playing Halo and I beat someone, a fellow gamer will admit defeat and give credit where it is do. Some immature punk will probably not be as kind. This could backfire if you engage in combat with unsavory characters. How does everyone else feel about the Reputation stats? :confused:

Whisper
09-09-2005, 08:56 PM
The nature of gamers being what it is.. it will not work.

1) Inertia. People will not give out credit where it is due and hand out good feedback. They will move on and play another game. People will only stop and take the time to leave bad feedback. How many people went and sent feedback for "Good Game" in Rainbow six, Halo, etc...

2) Abusers.

ShadedNine
09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
The system *can* work, but getting it off the ground is the tricky part. The trick is to scale feedback based on the reputation of the giver. If someone with an excellent reputation gives you bad feedback it will count for something. If someone who constantly receives bad feedback from players with great feedback tries to give you bad feedback (there's a mouthful) it won't count for much. However, such a system is only as strong as its roots. If the system gets started off poorly, then it will carry on that way. There still won't be enough players giving good feedback, but the few mature players that do will sustain the system from countless immature abusers.

You still need a strong system in place to prevent anyone from gaining non-trivial amounts of feedback artificially, especially in the early moments of the system.

Bakeman
09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
agreed.. it COULD work. Likely hood of it working.. not so good.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Ford Mustang
09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
I think it's theoretically a good idea and it could work, but there are an awful lot of babies and morons on XBL that would make it tricky for it to work correctly.

Double_Diablo
09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
I think it's theoretically a good idea and it could work, but there are an awful lot of babies and morons on XBL that would make it tricky for it to work correctly.
Yep. I.E. anyone under the age of 14.

Who knows. Maybe it'll work out.

StudioAlex
09-10-2005, 07:22 AM
I've got a better idea. How about they just split Xbox live into two, one for people under 21, the other for people over. That would increase my enjoyment of online gaming by about 500%. Hell, I'd pay extra just for that feature.

ShadedNine
09-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Good idea. The 'reputation' system could even be used by aspiring underage players to qualify for a chance to play with the adults, and with enough nominations, be moved over permanently ;) (same in reverse for the worst of the adults)

Ford Mustang
09-10-2005, 05:38 PM
I've got a better idea. How about they just split Xbox live into two, one for people under 21, the other for people over. That would increase my enjoyment of online gaming by about 500%. Hell, I'd pay extra just for that feature.

I can't help but take some offense to that, because I know quite a few people that are 16 - 18, including myself, that are alot more mature than many many people over 21. Age is not a good measurement of maturity. Not only that, but alot of the asshats I have encountered on XBL have been older than 21.

ShadedNine
09-10-2005, 07:29 PM
That's why you just create 2 segments of gamers, with no age requirement, but a sort of feedback requirement system that can be revoked. The trouble with the reputation system as is, is even the asshats = $$...only the most extreme would be unprofitable to keep around because of lost gamers amongst the community. Splitting the community though means you can move players between them, allowing for the development of a good community.

Course it would never actually work in reality....even if you did set aside the elitist nature of that project, nobody is going to stand for belonging to the asshat side, and so either they'll lose members as a result or the line will be pushed down until it vanishes.

It's fun to muse nonetheless.

swivel
09-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I can't help but take some offense to that, because I know quite a few people that are 16 - 18, including myself, that are alot more mature than many many people over 21. Age is not a good measurement of maturity. Not only that, but alot of the asshats I have encountered on XBL have been older than 21.

Agree. I'm 30, and no one above 21 should have to deal with me online.

Also... the losers and jerkoffs that mess up Live play... do you really think this idea would stop them? They would fill out their Live registration and not just lie about their age?

StudioAlex
09-11-2005, 07:33 AM
I can't help but take some offense to that, because I know quite a few people that are 16 - 18, including myself, that are alot more mature than many many people over 21. Age is not a good measurement of maturity. Not only that, but alot of the asshats I have encountered on XBL have been older than 21.I realize that there are mature teenagers out there, but every jack off that I've ever played against has been at that age. Age isn't the cause for maturity, but there sure as hell is a corollary. For every jerk over 21, there's probably ten jerks under that age.

And little kids, with their high pitched voices, they should be banned outright. I don't need that crap going straight to my ear drum.

swivel
09-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I realize that there are mature teenagers out there, but every jack off that I've ever played against has been at that age. Age isn't the cause for maturity, but there sure as hell is a corollary. For every jerk over 21, there's probably ten jerks under that age.

And little kids, with their high pitched voices, they should be banned outright. I don't need that crap going straight to my ear drum.

Oh, man.... that's funny.

I honestly don't see how you guys put up with most of the hassle you have to go through for online gaming. The cheats, the quitters, the whiners, the bullys... it's all the worst of humanity... and you guys go searching it out.

More power to you.

I just hope a few gaming companies stay open that cater to the single-player experience. It would be sad if a group of you ruined gaming, not just for yourself, but for everyone else as well.

ShadedNine
09-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Ahh, but we put up with it because of the potential for the extra depth added to a game when that guy you just smoked is more than a sequence of 0s and 1s. Or the moments when you actually land yourself an awesome team (usually in a guild, but sometimes the moons align) and together cut a swath of destruction.

Sure, it can be frustrating at times, especially in a system where hosts are powerless to kick and ban, but I can't count the moments I've thoroughly enjoyed romping a player's ass instead of the AI, or being beaten in a fair match by someone that isn't just driving along a predefined line.

Course that being said, there's no less enjoyment to a games like the Elder Scrolls series, but anyone who's played...say, Rome: Total War knows how easily bad AI can drag down a game, and how easily another person can remedy that.

laughs
09-11-2005, 02:27 PM
No way this will work.... Too many ****ers out there.

ShadedNine
09-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Yep, and even with a reputation system...where do you put em? The only place I can see the reputation actually coming in to effect would be eliminating cheaters. Cheaters are the only people who would actually draw enough ire on a regular basis to find themselves with an overwhelming amount of negative feedback..

In theory it could work to eliminate the rest of the asshats, but why would MS want to do that? They're paying asshats.

Wolf
09-11-2005, 06:06 PM
I realize that there are mature teenagers out there, but every jack off that I've ever played against has been at that age. Age isn't the cause for maturity, but there sure as hell is a corollary. For every jerk over 21, there's probably ten jerks under that age.

so mute them, it's really not that hard.

StudioAlex
09-13-2005, 08:24 AM
so mute them, it's really not that hard.It's called a facetious statement. It's really not that hard.

Salmonaitor
09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
You and me both brother. That's mostly why I haven't played XBL in months. Although, nothing can replace a good friends list.

Ninjermy
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I will admit I like to have fun with my mic and talk random crap to people. But isn't that why they put in the mute feature!?!? I will admit it is a pain to go to the menu, open players list, select a name, and mute him all just because one guy said something to you, SO i think what they should do is make some sort of feature where in order to mute someone you press just like 2 or 3 buttons and it's done. It should be no hasle instead of the major hassle it is now!!!

Whisper
09-13-2005, 12:41 PM
voice activated mute...

hold a button down.. "mute (player name)"