PDA

View Full Version : The Pros and Cons of purchasing a Foriegn 360 Unit?

kavas
09-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi All,
I will have the opportunity to purchase a 360 from the USA during my visiting family there over xmas.

Bearing in mind that the 360 will not be released until May 2006 and that it will cost me around $900 Oz Dollars, instead of the $550 approx that the exchange rate would make it, if i bought whilst on holiday.

I know there are implications, such as - buying only zone1 games (which means online purchases only, as my local Oz games will not work).
I'd also have to have a power converter in place, as the USA opperate on 120 volt while we have 240.

If you can please open my eyes to any other things i need to know, i'd much appreciate it.
Let me know what you'd do if you were in my shoes ;-)

Cheers All

Reclaimer
09-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I used to know this but I can't remember right now.. do you use NTSC or PAL down there?

kavas
09-11-2005, 05:19 AM
its PAL here in OZ, NTSC in the USA :(

SamSmith
09-11-2005, 06:37 AM
its PAL here in OZ, NTSC in the USA :(

yeah pal here too...

but im not sure if ms have announced anything regarding region coding...

the psp was region free... so maybe (if were lucky) we might see the 360 region code free... but it tends to be different for consoles.

StudioAlex
09-11-2005, 07:25 AM
I was under the assumption that that the 360 would enjoy a simultaneous, world-wide release. But anyway, one reason to buy a yank version, Australia outlaws certain games that America doesn't.

kavas
09-12-2005, 12:48 AM
really??
i wasn't aware of that - thats cool.
what are some titles that didn't make to us here in Oz?

fingers crossed for a region free console (isn't about time someone did one?)

cheers for your input guys, it means a lot

kavas
09-12-2005, 12:56 AM
So how much do you guys pay (in USD) for a new game upon release anyway.
And how soon after a games release does the USA start seeing a drop its pricing?

Thanks again for any help

Not Yellow
09-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Its pretty much $49.99, or the special edition is somewere at $59.99 I think.

But most of the 360 games are going to cost $59.99(+)
--

And as to games being banned/outlawed in Australia

GTA: San Andreas
NARC
BMX: XXX
GTA: III
Manhunt

sojourner
09-12-2005, 08:06 AM
All you need is the power transformer and a ready supply of NTSC games and your good to go. You wont need to worry about banned games if your importing them.

kavas
09-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Soujourner sounds like he's got a little experience in foriegn consoles, going by the xbox1 it looks like games would be cheaper online too.?
Are games actually release in the usa earlier or are they worldwide releases (other than banned games obviously)?
So i'd assume that ALL the accessories that come out for the 360 would NOT be region specific? (eg. i have a USA unit but can buy a local controller from Oz to use on it?).