PDA

View Full Version : router question

wackyanimation
09-16-2005, 08:46 PM
360 is first time i will use a router. how will it work if i have dsl? thx

ShadedNine
09-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Couldn't be simpler. You need a router and 2 network cables to move from a basic DLS modem -> Computer setup to hooking 2 computers (or computer + xbox) to a network.

You take the cable that goes from the comp to the modem out of the modem, then plug it into any of the regular ports on the router. Then, you take a new cable and plug that into another regular port on the router, and then into your xbox. Finally, you take the third cable and run it from the 'special' uplink port on your router (it's not hard to tell which this is, it's usually offset from the others) to your DSL modem. You may then have to call your ISP to register the MAC Address of your new router, they will walk you through finding out what that is.

Alternatively, in the setup above, if your router is wireless, and you have the wireless adapter for your xbox, you can omit the second cable.

Reclaimer
09-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Get a wireless router. That way, you don't have to run that cable all over the place from your Xbox. Wireless router plugs into your modem, you get the wi-fi adapter on your Xbox 360 or original Xbox, put in your security codes.. presto, you're in service.

wackyanimation
09-16-2005, 09:32 PM
THX sounds easy. so it runs thugh the telephone line?

Reclaimer
09-16-2005, 10:27 PM
THX sounds easy. so it runs thugh the telephone line?

The DSL line does.

Goku_69
09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
yeah i was reading my OXM and they said for the best connection useing a wired connection is best but it's nice to have the option

Reclaimer
09-17-2005, 11:56 AM
yeah i was reading my OXM and they said for the best connection useing a wired connection is best but it's nice to have the option

I think in the years I've been using XBL wireless, I've had like maybe 2 or 3 connection drop outs.
Using 802.11G, I really don't see any bad in going the wireless route.

Goku_69
09-17-2005, 12:02 PM
what do u have running on ur router?

BORNGD
09-18-2005, 11:54 AM
i have a wireless router...never have had any problems with it