PDA

View Full Version : Japanese public growing interest

Nato King
09-22-2005, 03:34 PM
According to native magazine Famitsu Weekly the Japanese public are showing a growing interest in MS' upcoming console. After the Tokyo Game Show where MS showed off such Japan favorites as Bomberman, Armored Core, and Ridge Racer the interest has definitely risen.

Far from it according to Famitsu interest in the console has jumped from 6% to 22% post TGS. Microsft did have games on the floor that mattered like "Chromehounds", "Ridge Racer 6", "Ninety Nine Nights" and "Enchant Arm". The kiosks were always crowded to and attendees showed genuine interest in the system. Microsoft was also able to take some serious coin out of Sony's exclusivity bag by showing that franchises like "Resident Evil", "Armored Core", "Gundam", and "Bomberman" now had a new home.

Source: Famitsu Weekly Japan

StudioAlex
09-22-2005, 06:04 PM
That's good news, but 22% isn't going to cut it this christmas. I think they need closer to fifty percent to really make a difference. But the good news is it's still early and interest will only rise here on out. Also, after Japan has to watch the rest of thew world go nuts over the Xbox 360 before it gets the chance to play. I can only imagine that will help increase interest the system.

Shadow20002
09-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, this is how Xbox 360 represent in entirely.

Mwright
09-22-2005, 07:08 PM
i kno that everyone thinks japan is so important for having a good game system... but really who gives a sh%t if japan likes the 360 or not. i mean Microsoft is going to beat sony n the US this time around. after more and more americans buy the system they will do the same.but if it doesnt get on in japan i dont really think it matters because the xbox is a great game system right now without japan so we will just have to wait and see.

OC Noob
09-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Japan is still a very large market and in some respects more important than its numbers. The North American market is now about twice as large as the Japanesse market, but its still something that MS needs some penetration to be the overall number 1 company.

I'd say 22% total when all is said and done will be pleanty (if they do that well) considering the 360 is poised to dominate the North American and European markets. Hopefully this interest translates into sales.

ps I should add that Japan is the only place where Xbox failed miserably and people (*cough*PS2Fanboys*cough*) always bring it up so there is a lot of focus on that market rather than the sucess in Europe and NA. Thats the biggest reason you see Japan so much in Xbox news.

swivel
09-23-2005, 12:27 PM
The speculation is fun, but make sure you keep in mind that is all this is. Everyone seems positive they know where the three companies will rank in two years. I'm a lot more fuzzy.

I hope all three do well, and bring us better games, not just better graphics. The better they all do, the more games are made, the more cross-platform development that goes on, so the more hours of fun we have.

Taking sides like most people do is silly. Are there really people out there, who love their XBox, that hope PS fans are sitting at home feeling like crap? Why so much evil?

StudioAlex
09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the Xbox 360 will beat the PS3 in North America and Europe. The PS2 still has a much larger install base in north america than the xbox. Granted, millions of those units are owned by people who bought a PS2 and only own fantavision and tiger woods 2001, so the difference in terms of possible software sales isn't so dramatic, but PS still retains the most brand recognition with the casual consumer.

ShadedNine
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I think the animosity is rooted in the envy from owners of a single system wanting exclusives from the other. That and people in general have habitually attach themselves to brands and products and will not only defend it, but verbally attack the competition of a company they have no stake in (Cola wars anyone?). Anyway, I'd say if the xbox 360 does well in Japan it will be with those who won't be able to stand being behind by a generation for so many months (like me! :D)

Mwright
09-23-2005, 07:07 PM
"but PS still retains the most brand recognition with the casual consumer."-------yea right now it does but i think sony has made many problems with their next system. for 1 they didnt release it in a way that "casual consmers" would find out, like xbox did on MTV. 2 they r going 2 have system price that is going 2 cost a lot-words from some1 n sony and 3 if some1 who is a casual gamer looks at the ps3 which might sell 4 500 or 600 bucks when they could have a xbox 360 4 300 are prolly going 2 pick the xbox because most of the dont understand the numbers or care to even look. im not saying that that price is going 2 b what the ps3 sells 4 but im just saying i think that sony has made some mistakes already and is going 2 lose a lot of their casual gamers..plus they are not going 2 start 2 sell their system on the holidays which put them ahead of xbox in this round

OC Noob
09-24-2005, 12:07 AM
The speculation is fun, but make sure you keep in mind that is all this is. Everyone seems positive they know where the three companies will rank in two years. I'm a lot more fuzzy.

I hope all three do well, and bring us better games, not just better graphics. The better they all do, the more games are made, the more cross-platform development that goes on, so the more hours of fun we have.

Taking sides like most people do is silly. Are there really people out there, who love their XBox, that hope PS fans are sitting at home feeling like crap? Why so much evil?

Speculation is fun and thats why this thread was made and thats why there was an article about the poll.

I state that the 360 will dominate Europe and North America because I believe it based on past and future software and I believe the 360 can get 22% of the Japanesse market because the marketing and developers they have signed. I do own all three systems and prefer my Xbox due to software and hardware preferences so i share my opinions and experiences.

I'm not lying so people reading thnk the PS3 sucks or whatever you are claiming/implying.

Its conversational speculation for entertainment because analyzing facts is only so entertaining so don't worry so much about people passing time discussing their hobby. Losen up a bit and maybe redefine your perception of "evil" and don't worry so much about the civil discusion/speculation of others.

Gosh, i really can't think of 1 person that doesn't discuss the differences between to things of some sort. i.e what TV has a better picture, which football team will with the NFC East, what computer is the best for video encoding, what restraunt has the best waffles, what car has the best reliability, etc......................

This type of discussion isn't exactly what I'd consider evil, but we can discuss it/speculate on it:D

Oh yeah, back on topic. I think the 360 is poised to dominate the NA and European markets because the PS2 had such an advantage that its hard to believe the Xbox could even capture 25% of the software sales that the PS2 does, but it is very close to being equal (sometimes surpassing) and thats a huge accomplishment considering the installed base that the PS2 has and the software advantage that it had just two years ago.

I think that says a lot about the games being developed for Xbox systems and the popularity they have/have gained in so short a time. That wave of sucess couple with a system that likely will be as powerful as its competition, a much earlier release, a better price point than the competition and what looks to be the most impressive software line up of any console ever released (to date) within the first 6 months will translate into domination in those markets.

The gaming will be a huge step forward in gfx, physics and AI. The software line-up has 20+ games that appear to be shaping up to be AAA titles within the first 6 months of release and the competition won't be out for 6+ months and will be considerably more expensive. Granted the PS3 line-up looks equally impressive depending on the market (I obviously give the Xbox the edge in western markets and the PS3 in eastern markets).

But, yeah. Thats why I believe (yeah, speculate) that the Xbox will dominate those markets. By dominate I mean will have 20%+ more sales per month through the peak of the product cycle.

Now that was some good speculation fun :p