PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Interview

Nato King
09-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Gamecloud got a chance to chat with Bethesda's PR head Pete Hines to find out more about Oblivion

Link (http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=1635)

Brevity
09-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Good stuff. I mean I do think back to all the talk about Morrowinds and a lot of this talk sounds a lot like that and so I wonder how will things play out. I dont hear any one talking about load times and such.

Max33
10-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Man,I cant wait!

Oblivion is the one game that might make me impulse buy a 360 before I can afford it. Ramen noodles here I come.

Flame Sword8
10-01-2005, 12:11 PM
It would be even better if it had online play because Oblivion doesn't look like that type of mmorpg where everyone is wearing the exact same stuff and everyones alike, that just bores the hell out of me.

Shadow20002
10-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Hmm, with the new CPU available in Xbox 360, i think the loading times will be short. Only one think i really do care: the bugs. I don't want to play a game that crash frequently.

Nato King
10-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Good stuff. I dont hear any one talking about load times and such.

Ya no one has been talking about the load time. I really didnt' like waitting for the game to load between rooms or something like that. Just got on my last. so if this game can speed the up we are going to be in business.

ShadedNine
10-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Hmm, with the new CPU available in Xbox 360, i think the loading times will be short. Only one think i really do care: the bugs. I don't want to play a game that crash frequently.

The CPU has little to nothing to do with load times. It's not about performing mathematical operations, it's about dragging large volumes of data from long term storage into active memory. The reason consoles are so slow is a result trying to read from optical media, whereas with a PC it's coming off a slightly faster (though still slow) hard drive.

That being said, clever developers will have their game use idle resources to pre-load some data into memory, or at least onto the hard drive as you approach the 'loading barrier', eliminating or shortening most load times aside from starting the game up or loading a savegame. A well developed game on either console or PC will still have fewer or shorter load times.

What worries me is that oblivion may not take full advantage of the Xbox360's built in HD, since some users with the core bundle won't have it. I guess time will tell.

RockTheCasba
10-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Good info im excited for oblivion.

Hangnail
10-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Can't wait... thats all i got to say... can't wait...

laughs
10-03-2005, 11:52 AM
How long did the other elder scrolls take to finish? I'm guessing a long time right?

Ford Mustang
10-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I played the game for 160+ hours. It was different for every person, and it depends on how much you want to do.

ShadedNine
10-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Not sure exactly how long Morrowind took, but Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall released in 1996, followed by Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard in 1998. Morrowind wasn't released until 2002. That puts its development time somewhere around 4 years at a guess.

StudioAlex
10-04-2005, 08:37 AM
THe main quest in Morrowind takes arounf thirty hours, but there's at least 200 hours of stuff to do in the game, if not more.

Nato King
10-04-2005, 08:45 AM
THe main quest in Morrowind takes around thirty hours, but there's at least 200 hours of stuff to do in the game, if not more.

Sounds cool to me. I would play the 200 hours first and than do the 30hours later. lol :hardcore:

Unreal
10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
What worries me is that oblivion may not take full advantage of the Xbox360's built in HD, since some users with the core bundle won't have it. I guess time will tell.
That is why the devs have said that in order to fully enjoy Oblivion the Premium 360 with HD is needed.