PDA

View Full Version : XBox via Widescreen

l Maximus l
02-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Okay...as some of you dudes might already know, I have in my gaming room a brand spanking new HDTV :D I can't wait to get home to see it!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you Widescreen HDTV owners can help me out setting up my XBox to the new screen format.

I think I have to do this:

Turn 1080i onto "Yes"
Turn 720p onto "yes"
Turn 480p onto "yes"
Turn Widescreen onto "yes"

Is this correct? And, is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks, dudes!!!

Xtopia
02-19-2002, 05:33 PM
I have no idea. But I hope you enjoy you'r new tv! Unfortunately for me it well prob. help u on gamespy!!!:mad:

Azazel
02-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Max I can help you with all of that. I got the exact same Tv in Hitachi (widescreen also). I spoke with xbox support and they said to set the xbox to 480p since games are not yet made in 1080i res. Let me know what else you need help on.

I also have the HD pack (component video cables :cool: )with a fiber optic cable connected to it for Dolby Digital. Saves money on buying them seperate.

:cool:

Shadow Fox
02-19-2002, 07:55 PM
Yeah Max, leave the config on 480p. The 1080 will work if you leave it on, but it won't hurt if you leave it off.

It's pretty much plug-and-play; I hook up the component cables to the Tube, turned on the box, and played around. Pretty much sets itself up. I'm guessing it depends on what kinda tube you got, but I've had no probs with the Wega.

Congrats on your new idiot box.

*drools over the Herrington 71" Plasma monitor*

*looks at wallet*

*walks away*

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Azazel
02-20-2002, 03:28 AM
No the 1080i will not work if you leave it on. Thats the whole point. Games are not made yet in 1080 or 720 so only select 480p, and widescreen of course.

Info straight from technical support at 1-800-4my-xbox

Bundy
02-20-2002, 06:24 AM
maxi, you suck... j/k congrats on your new screen. maybe oneday i can too enjoy a nice big hdtv. Until then I will enjoy my 5.1 sounds system.

heartsxcarved
02-20-2002, 08:46 AM
When i get my webcam working, i will show everybody a picture of my "gaming room".. You wont be amazed!

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 12:30 PM
hehe...great responses here, dudes!

I have a question, though...will it hurt at all if I actually put 1080I and 720p on "yes"?

My experience last night was awesome!!! I ended up purchasing the Monster 400 Component video cables because they were on sale at Best Buy. I got an even better deal on them than the $49.99 sale tag because I found one that someone opened but never bought to take home! There was absolutely no problems with them! Just a half opened package! In fact, I can tell that they weren't even taken out because the packaging wasn't open enough to get them out if they wanted to....So, because of this, I actually bought them for $35! Good deal, huh?

Anyway, I still need to calibrate my TV. I'm going to head over to Tower Records and purchase the calibration DVD so I can set my TV up to get the best picture possible. I don't know how it could get better, if you ask me, but, I was recommended by Hugh and Lynxfx to do so...and I take both of their advice very seriously. I also must commend TheMentorsXBox, too for similar sitations in the past.

So, Ty....only 480p on "yes" and not 720p and 1080i? If I put 720p and 1080i on "yes" (as I already did last night), will it mess anything up from a clarity or image standpoint? I mainly ask this because I haven't tried just leaving 480p on "yes" and the others on "no" quite yet.

All I know is that playing Halo last night was like having a dream!!! It was AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to play all my games over from scratch as playing on this is a completely different gaming experience! I bet Amped will be gorgeous and NFL Fever will be sweet while being able to see the Receivers on the screen in addition to the linemen!

Azazel
02-20-2002, 01:12 PM
I was told to only put 480p on, so to be honest Im not sure if it will change anything by having all of them on. Probably a good question for the xbox guys. Enjoy Max.

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ty818
I was told to only put 480p on, so to be honest Im not sure if it will change anything by having all of them on. Probably a good question for the xbox guys. Enjoy Max.

Great idea...so, I called 1-800-4My-XBox and they said that they do not have any current games out that support progessive scan technology. So, even the 480p wouldn't be the correct setting...thought I would let you know. I didn't know, but, the "p" means "progressive scan" behind the number 480. (I never pretend to be an expert :D - so take it easy on me!! hehe)

So, I guess 1080i is the correct setting to have...and, it won't hurt, according to XBox customer service, if you have all of the settings on "yes" because none of the games support progressive scan quite yet. The dude said that games will start coming out in the future that will support progressive scan either from them or from other developers.

Keep in mind, as you probably already know, that if you watch movies through your XBox, you will want to put on the progressive scan options because many DVD movies utilize it.

I thought that might help, unless you already know all this stuff! I didn't but now I do :D

LynxFX
02-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Oh my gad Maximus. 1-800-4My-XBox must have morons working there, just like the customer service email. They have no clue what 480p vs 1080i is and what HD actually stands for.

1st) EVERY xbox game supports 480p. Definately leave that setting on.

2nd) 1080i isn't a progressive scan setting, hence the 'i'. It is the HD spec along with 720p which is the HD progressive setting. As we know, no games support HD yet but you can still say 'yes' to 1080i and 720p. It just won't put those out until a game actually supports it. Supposedly there are some coming soon that will. Sega Rally I think is one of them. When that happens the game will see that you have selected 1080i support and output that video signal. If you selected that to no then you would still only get 480p like every other game. So don't worry about selecting it now and thinking it will mess up games or what not.

Overall I discovered that the xbox support staff knows nothing about the actual capabilities of their product. It is really pathetic if you ask me. You should see this email I got from them. It didn't even pertain to the question I asked. I emailed them back and got a "you probably should call 1-800-4My-XBox". Now after hearing your response from them I doubt that will help.

Max, you knew alot more than the person on the other side of the phoneline. :)

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Oh my gad Maximus. 1-800-4My-XBox must have morons working there, just like the customer service email. They have no clue what 480p vs 1080i is and what HD actually stands for.

1st) EVERY xbox game supports 480p. Definately leave that setting on.

2nd) 1080i isn't a progressive scan setting, hence the 'i'. It is the HD spec along with 720p which is the HD progressive setting. As we know, no games support HD yet but you can still say 'yes' to 1080i and 720p. It just won't put those out until a game actually supports it. Supposedly there are some coming soon that will. Sega Rally I think is one of them. When that happens the game will see that you have selected 1080i support and output that video signal. If you selected that to no then you would still only get 480p like every other game. So don't worry about selecting it now and thinking it will mess up games or what not.

Overall I discovered that the xbox support staff knows nothing about the actual capabilities of their product. It is really pathetic if you ask me. You should see this email I got from them. It didn't even pertain to the question I asked. I emailed them back and got a "you probably should call 1-800-4My-XBox". Now after hearing your response from them I doubt that will help.

Max, you knew alot more than the person on the other side of the phoneline. :)

Gotcha, Lynxfx! Thanks for the help! Not to sound like I'm a "Mr. Know it all" or anything...but, I kinda did have a feeling that I did know more than the guy I spoke with. What you are saying here, Lynxfx makes perfect sense to me, especially to what you have taught me in the past. So, I'm good just to leave them all on "Yes", then...ok...cool :)

By the way, the Monster 400s do a really good job! I can't believe how awesome it is to play on this new TV...it's as if I have never seen a video game before!! Like a kid with a major sugar tooth walking right into a candy shop! It's just so amazing....I played until 1:30am (last night) and I had to get up early today for work... I mean, that is very irresponsible of me..but, I, honestly, COULDN'T HELP IT!! :D hehe

Also, Lynxfx...I will purchase the calibration disc this weekend...but, one thing is for sure, I don't know how this TV could be any better...but, I will definately check out the disc. I spoke with a few people that have HDTVs (primarily retail store managers that sell HDTVs - I just called them really quick) and they all highly recommended picking up the calibration disc even if the picture looks stellar. So, thanks again for the insight! :)

LynxFX
02-20-2002, 04:14 PM
No problem Max. When you calibrate your set just remember to have it on for at least 30 minutes before you start and then I would probably do it every 6 months to keep the picture looking sharp.

I know what you mean about playing late at night. :D

GokuX
02-20-2002, 04:50 PM
I heard from a reliable source that U should pause the game for 6 hours and make sure U turn the brightness/contrast all the way up when using a projection TV to get it properly configured.

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
I heard from a reliable source that U should pause the game for 6 hours and make sure U turn the brightness/contrast all the way up when using a projection TV to get it properly configured.

:eek: You have become my NIGHTMARE!! :D hehe...jk...but, nice try ;)