PDA

View Full Version : Price to be lowered in the next few months

Vteck3000
02-19-2002, 08:24 PM
I heard on a computer show today that the XBOX and the PS2 will drop their prices before the years end. The host of the computer show ( which is Mr. Net for the french MuchMusic channel ) said that IGM confirmed in their magazine that the prices will be $299 U.S. roughly $315 CAN.

So for those asking when the prices were going to be droped well now they know.

But don't forget that i DID NOT SEE THE MAGAZINE and cannot confirm what he said. But he is a very very reliable source for this kind of information. He's the last guy that would not do a research on news like that before telling his audience.

:cool:

Chr0nik
02-19-2002, 08:26 PM
I own both Xbox and PS2..the money has been spent :(

manboy
02-19-2002, 08:26 PM
Do you mean $199, because uh.. it's $299 now.

Vteck3000
02-19-2002, 08:28 PM
Yesssssss sorry guys........... i meant $199 U.S. around $315 CAN......... sorry about that......... my mistake........... typing to fast........ :cool:

Plewis
02-19-2002, 08:29 PM
I don't know if that is good for Microsoft or bad... They are already losing money on xbox... one can wonder how long Mr. Gates will tolerate losing that much money. BUY GAMES!

Frostberg
02-19-2002, 08:51 PM
I dont believe it...it hasnt been out long enough...it is time for the PS2 to drop, but xbox should get another year just like PS2...then the hardware wont be so expensive for MS so it would be ok for a drop

XBOXgamer13
02-19-2002, 09:32 PM
impossible, they are saying tat ps2 will drop its price to $199 abot 6 months ago but see, nothing happens

about xbox, it will not drop its price fr another 2 years or so

fear_this
02-19-2002, 09:38 PM
That would be funny if they dropped it a whole dollar. :)

Stoudman
02-19-2002, 09:57 PM
the PS2 will not drop out that quickly. There are too many people whom love the games that Sony currently owns. Such as the FF series; I will not believe the reports that FFX and FF11 are coming to Xbox until both Sony and Squaresoft confirm it. It is possible, but not bloody likely. Especially when you consider that Sony owns half of Squaresoft. Another game that will keep PS2 in there is PaRappa 2. You all may hate it, but PaRappa is about the most out of whack character that was ever made for a console game. This is what makes the game fun to play. I'll admit the Xbox MAY prove itself worthy in the next year, but until it does, I'm sticking to PS2. Heck, I only joined here to appease a friend.

Frostberg
02-19-2002, 09:57 PM
To reinforace my point, Id just like to say that...
1st no one but MS would know of a price drop, and i'm talking about a closed door meeting with like only a few head guys, and prolly billy himself (its his money) So you wouldnt know so early there will would be a drop
2nd they want the console to last 5 years or longer, and if they drop now, it would have to remain $200 for like 2-3 years
3rd the technology is still to expensive for MS to make a reasonable profit enough to cut the cost of the xbox by 1/3rd
4th The PS2 is still $300 and it is selling fine...the Xbox will sell fine at $300 also
5th Microsoft is still a business, they want to get the maximum they can get for the Xbox, for the longest time
6th Although it would be good for business (should I get a GC or an Xbox that has a harddrive, system link capability, a dvd player, dolby digital etc) It still goes back to MS wanting money, because even if its $200 you have to see it as if they sell more, they lose more money...so they want to find a "happy medium"
7th Companies only drop the price if it is not selling well, and they want to boost sales, or if they can get the cost to produce it down...this goes for anything...a good example is everyday gasoline...The PSX came out at $350...no one bought it because it was too expensive, and was quickly lowered to $199. I think it was out for at least 2 years before it was lowered to $149, then 2 more years for it to get to $99. It sold well, so there was no reason to lower the price. The Xbox isint having trouble selling, its just that there is too much competition...

Even so I would have to say the first Xbox drop in price would be to $249. This would be due to just the technology being cheaper. It would also allow competition, because I know its due for the PS2 to drop its price. Strictly for competition. Although I have no evidence, my educated guesses on the matter could work in a varity of ways. It just seems to me that PS2 will go down to $199, and Xbox will go down to $249, all a few weeks before the christmas buying season. PS2 would want to remain #1 in sales, and they need a great price in order to do so. The PS2s hardware isint costing Sony much (being this would take place 2 years after its initial $299 price) so $199 would still get a nice profit to Sony, and they can sell more units so the more sold the better the profit. MS cant go down to $199 because it has more things like a HD and such, so it costs too much to produce, so $249 would be feisable. The price could boost sales, if MS correctly advertises the XBox as having all of its features that the PS2 lacks, for only $50 more. If Sony does lower the PS2 price, and MS does not lower the Xbox price before christmas, then PS2 will still be #1...but only because of the price. We all know confused parents go with the cheaper thing, and that drives sales (see GC). You know if the GC was the same price as the Xbox, the GC wouldnt of stood a chance...

Frostberg
02-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Stoudman
Especially when you consider that Sony owns half of Squaresoft.

I dont know about half, from everything Ive heard its about 19.2 or so. And people fail to see that owning stock in a company doesnt mean youown the company, nor can you say what goes on. You may be able to "influence" some decisions, but the bottomline is that its up to the owners, in this case Square. For an example, a while back...i forget which one, but one of the Hewlett or Packard families didnt like some decisions HP was making, and even though they owned a heafty amount of HP stock, it didnt matter...The head Square guy said about what I did, as that Sony cant prevent Square from having their game on other systems. The point of buying stock is making $$. Not unless its Enron stock, of course:D...but anyway if FFXI goes to other systems, it can only mean...
More $50 games sold...like triple the amount
A $10-13 monthly subscription for all those extra people who have the game...hey more games sold+more subscriptions sold=more money, and more money=happy square, and a happy square=better stock prices, and better stock prices=happy Sony

Stoudman
02-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Well, anything is possible, but I seriously doubt it. They are releasing it to PC, and I do believe that will be enough. However they are hurting, so I'm hoping that they don't do anything harsh ;)

fear_this
02-19-2002, 10:14 PM
No dude, I`m pretty sure they are releasing FFXI to x-box. I read some information on it. Although I don't like the FF series, I think it might help the x-box out on its journy. :D

Sada
02-19-2002, 10:15 PM
I wonder how many they have sitting in storage. Sometimes storage is more expensive than selling them for cheap would be.

Stoudman
02-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Yes, well until there is concrete evidence, it is just a rumor.

Toder
02-19-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally quoted by Frostberg
3rd the technology is still to expensive for MS to make a reasonable profit enough to cut the cost of the xbox by 1/3rd

The only thing really expensive in the xbox is the nvidia 250 mhz graphic card. Everything else is reasonable cheap. And with Microsoft buying in bulk its super cheap. So I think with a 1/3 price cut, Microsoft will still make a resonable profit.

fear_this
02-19-2002, 10:25 PM
Yeah, especially if they want it to last 5 Years and longer. More money for big daddy bill. :cool:

Stoudman
02-19-2002, 10:27 PM
and thus his army of drones continues to grow :confused:

fear_this
02-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Not actually, if he was smart then he would save the money he makes from the x-box and put it towards the making of an even better x-box. :D

Stoudman
02-19-2002, 10:32 PM
why would he need to? He's already got an army of young minds calling him "daddy" and such....face it man, he's taken over your mind. You are now property of one Bill Gates. Enjoy the ride...I'll try to shoot you in the head when you start unconciously killing people who revolt against Bill Gates attempt to take over the world. :cool:

fear_this
02-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Stoudman
why would he need to? He's already got an army of young minds calling him "daddy" and such....face it man, he's taken over your mind. You are now property of one Bill Gates. Enjoy the ride...I'll try to shoot you in the head when you start unconciously killing people who revolt against Bill Gates attempt to take over the world. :cool:

LMAO! That was great dude. But your still a newbie! :mad:

Koopa
02-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Toder

The only thing really expensive in the xbox is the nvidia 250 mhz graphic card. Everything else is reasonable cheap. And with Microsoft buying in bulk its super cheap. So I think with a 1/3 price cut, Microsoft will still make a resonable profit.

even with the $300 price, microsoft is LOSING money on consoles...the trick is to make up your losses with software sales.

X-Factor
02-19-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Chronik
I own both Xbox and PS2..the money has been spent :(
I thought you traded in your X-Box for a PS2 *cough* sellout *cough*

Vteck3000
02-20-2002, 01:21 PM
Well the only wat to be sure is to check the new IGM magazine and look for the article that says that the XBOX and PS2 units are going down in price.

If it's only the PS2 that goes down in price well nobody is gonna buy the XBOX cause it's too expensive and has less games than the PS2.......... sooooo......... it would make sense that if Sony makes such a move by the ned of the year that Microsoft will compete with them. If they don't do that they will loose alot of customers to their new unit. :cool:

No Fear 23
02-20-2002, 02:08 PM
The only thing that the xbox needs is GREAT GAMES. right now alot of xbox fans r siting around doing nothing but to wait for the good and more games to come out. that is why they r not buying nething.:(

Vteck3000
02-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Well i guess my information was right. The XBOX and PS2 will be lowered in price. Did anyone see the news for yesterday on XBOXADDICT ?????????

I guess the parts of the XBOX aren't that expensive and BIG BILL can afford to do such a move. Personaly i think that all the money that i invested on that machine is worth it. I don't mind to have paid 100$ at the begining............ but it could of bought me an XBOX game :cool:

We will see in May ............... if it does happen i have the feeling that the XBOX will be a huge huge hit and the PS2 will flop :D

Frostberg
02-21-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Toder

Ummm..noooooo!!! The xbox is already cheap for what you get...

"Each Xbox, for example, costs Microsoft more than $400 to make and retails for $299. The cash-rich Redmond., Wash., company has been willing to swallow the difference to sell as many boxes as possible."- LA Times