PDA

View Full Version : s-video cable

Hero
10-11-2005, 06:03 PM
hi, i was wondering what kind of improvement an s-video cable would bring to my xbox because the new tv i bought has an input for it.

is it worth buying?

ShadedNine
10-11-2005, 07:49 PM
It mostly depends on the quality of your composite video cable, which I'm assuming is the one from the default Xbox. If you're not going to be upgrading to an Xbox 360 this fall, then I'd pick the Advanced AV pack up and use it, the difference is noticeable, especially around text.

mattgame
10-14-2005, 05:00 PM
I used to see a difference when I used mine. It was very much noticeable for me. I just had a regular old 36 inch tv. I will be upgrading to HDTV though.

Reclaimer
10-14-2005, 06:02 PM
There is a difference with the different cable hook up options.

Standard composite cable, yellow red and white plugs. Good.

S-Video, special yellow pin plug, white and red audio plugs, better.

Component Video cables using the Advanced AV pack, best quality.

Then you get into your high definition pictures using the component video cables, which is even better.

If your TV is non high definition and it has component plugs which is a 5 plug cable socket, go for that option. You will need the Xbox Advanced AV box for this option regardless of if your TV is high def or not.

shawns20
10-15-2005, 02:44 PM
The advanced AV pack has S video connections, the HD pack has component hookups. I have a bunch of the same TVs in my house for a LAN setup and I can tell you the step up from composite video (yellow plug) to S is huge. The step from S video to component is almost unnoticable, unless of course you are using an HDTV, then component is the way to go.

Reclaimer
10-16-2005, 04:03 AM
Despite the fact that my TV has component hook ups, my real reason to get the Advanced Hi-def kit was so I could get the optical cables from my surround sound.
It was odd that when the Xbox came out, at least in my opinion, that Microsoft didn't include the optical plug on the Xbox and made you buy the HD kit, even though you may never actually use the HD kit for it's actual purpose.

Matthias
10-16-2005, 11:50 AM
heh, all I have is a 13 inch Philips that only has white and yellow cable, it is sharp as my friends 27 inch S-video Tv but his sounds better