PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Delayed! Not Making Launch!

swivel
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Yup. Oblivion is not making the launch. They had the game running just fine on regular PC's, but can't get the game optimized for the 360 yet due to the lateness of MS providing hardware.

Not good.

Very not good.

Out December 5th now.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/oblivion/index.php#oblivion-delay-official-130579

http://gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=200123

Nameless
10-12-2005, 06:48 PM
This December?

swivel
10-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Yeah.... only two weeks, but this is a game that many members here were planning on firing up first.

laughs
10-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Oh this sucks! The only two I was interested in was NHL 2K6 and Oblivion.... Guess I'll get 2k6 at launch now and my girlfriend can get me oblivion for Christmas! :cuss:

kenji
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
That sucks. It was definately one of my launch titles I was going to get. I guess it's Perfect Dark Zero then Oblivoin for Christmas.

Nato King
10-12-2005, 10:49 PM
What!! What!!! Whaaaat!!!!. I tell people everyday...and now I have to remind you guys. DON'T TRUST GAMESTOP, EBGAMES OR ANY OTHER GAMESTORE FOR RELEASE DATE INFO UNTIL THE GAME GOES GOLD PERIOD. You might as well be posting Gamestop's date for Halo 3 along with this article.

laughs
10-12-2005, 10:57 PM
What!! What!!! Whaaaat!!!!. I tell people everyday...and now I have to remind you guys. DON'T TRUST GAMESTOP, EBGAMES OR ANY OTHER GAMESTORE FOR RELEASE DATE INFO UNTIL THE GAME GOES GOLD PERIOD. You might as well be posting Gamestop's date for Halo 3 along with this article.

Hope you are right.... :cry:

carlbme
10-12-2005, 11:13 PM
How many people seriously believe this would make launch? I'd be completely surprised if it did. Huge games like this very rarely ever hit their initial target window.

ShadedNine
10-12-2005, 11:19 PM
This game is one I will gladly wait for to have things a little better polished. I have a feeling this title is going to be HUGE when it hits shelves (and not just geographically :P)

Smiley7853
10-12-2005, 11:50 PM
WHAT THE F*** IS THIS SH*T!!!?????

I think I need to go assinate and/or kindapp some people.....

F***!!!!

I cant believe this crap.

Really hope serg is write, cause this was the ONLY title I was gonna get at launch...

Damnit!

ShadedNine
10-12-2005, 11:57 PM
WHAT THE F*** IS THIS SH*T!!!?????

I think I need to go assinate and/or kindapp some people.....

F***!!!!

I cant believe this crap.

Really hope serg is write, cause this was the ONLY title I was gonna get at launch...

Damnit!

You're really taking this way too seriously. I've been waiting a coupla years for this game. Another 2 weeks isn't going to bother me.

Smiley7853
10-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah, well I'm gonna have the 360 for like two weeks before I can play a game on it, You know haow much that is gonna suck?.......

Oh no?.....

Well It's gonna suck alot shadednine, its gonna suck a whole lot...Trust Me

Nameless
10-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Here's a tissue Smiley. Honestly, its pretty naive of someone to think Oblivion woulda made it for launch.

Smiley7853
10-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Here's a tissue Smiley. Honestly, its pretty naive of someone to think Oblivion woulda made it for launch.

Yeh, I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't gonna make it for launch.
Oh well, whatcha gonna do, Guess I'll just go for another launch title then..
any suggestions?

swivel
10-13-2005, 07:55 AM
The sad thing is that this game was completed and ready for a PC launch over a month ago. That release has been held up while they port the game to 360. And now it is being held up while they get it to run properly on the 360.

I could have been playing this thing for weeks now already...

StudioAlex
10-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Give me a break you weiners. It's two frickin' weeks. Let me get out my violin.

Ninjermy
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't care. There will be plenty of launch titles to keep me busy for 2 weeks!

laughs
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I may get the.....The crime one.....What's that called again? If hockey isn't out I'll get that.

Duke
10-13-2005, 10:38 AM
i'm going to shoot myself. goodbye cruel world.

swivel
10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Give me a break you weiners. It's two frickin' weeks. Let me get out my violin.

Uhhh.

The website we are on.

The one we come to every hour like a watering hole in the Sahara.

The place where you just pointed out the very obvious, that we are fanatics.

It is called:

xboxADDICT

Now, unless you are distributing hypodermic needles full of breaking news, screenshots, and interviews... leave us to our raving and drooling.

Thank you.

Shadow20002
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Around first quarter of 2006, more likely. I know what Bethesda have in their mind when they announce this will come at launch. Oblivion will never make it into this year.

StudioAlex
10-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Uhhh.

The website we are on.

The one we come to every hour like a watering hole in the Sahara.

The place where you just pointed out the very obvious, that we are fanatics.

It is called:

xboxADDICT

Now, unless you are distributing hypodermic needles full of breaking news, screenshots, and interviews... leave us to our raving and drooling.

Thank you.
I wasn't aware that this site was about flying off the handle over things that aren't bid deals. Thanks for educating me about the site that I work for.

CarGuy
10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
It'll be more than two weeks. Anyone remember Morrowind? I think it might've been more than a month delay.

swivel
10-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I wasn't aware that this site was about flying off the handle over things that aren't bid deals. Thanks for educating me about the site that I work for.

I was being funny. No need to be testy.

You should know as well as anyone that game delays, especially anticipated games, especially launch games, especially franchise sequels are hard to stomach.

What is two weeks now turns into two months.

Half Life 2, anyone?

To hear this news, and not react would require a stomach much stronger than mine.

Enjoy your minority opinion status. I'll stick to my group fanaticism.

StudioAlex
10-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I was being funny. No need to be testy.I thought I was being funny, too.

You should know as well as anyone that game delays, especially anticipated games, especially launch games, especially franchise sequels are hard to stomach.

What is two weeks now turns into two months. Then let's save the freak out for when something like that happens. Personally, I could wait until next summer if it meant I was getting the fully intentioned game sans crippling bugs.

Brevity
10-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Sucks, but perhaps they are wrong.

swivel
10-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Personally, I could wait until next summer if it meant I was getting the fully intentioned game sans crippling bugs.

It wouldn't be a Bethesda game without the bugs. We love them despite that!

I wish they would just release the PC version now, and let the XBox2 version ship when it is ready.

And this confirms many of my fears about the XBox2.

Ford Mustang
10-13-2005, 01:31 PM
The game will be worth it, I'm sure, although that's enough to piss off the Pope.

Nameless
10-13-2005, 02:25 PM
What, like the fear that devs will take the time to make sure their game is as good as it can possibly be? Those damn crazy Devs! I still stand by the thought that unless a game is gold, there is no concrete release date. Something people have yet to realize.

vman
10-13-2005, 02:39 PM
two more weeks of waiting to get a better gaming experience is not that big of a deal. a lot of people just need to chill and be patient. two weeks is going to make it a better game. who wouldnt want that? if they just released it at launch and it was crap (or not as good as it should be), you would be questioning Bethesda of why they didnt take two more weeks to take out the kinks. so just calm down and play with your **** for those two weeks in the anticipation of Oblivion.

Smiley7853
10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
two more weeks of waiting to get a better gaming experience is not that big of a deal. a lot of people just need to chill and be patient. two weeks is going to make it a better game. who wouldnt want that? if they just released it at launch and it was crap (or not as good as it should be), you would be questioning Bethesda of why they didnt take two more weeks to take out the kinks. so just calm down and play with your **** for those two weeks in the anticipation of Oblivion.

...........and so Fable was born....

Turned out to be good, even if really short

swivel
10-13-2005, 03:03 PM

It only takes two weeks to turn a crap game into a classic?

Xbox Masta 4
10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
If you guys would or read Lynx's thoughts about when he ACTUALLY played oblivion you wouldn't complain. I would rather them wait and clean up the game first. Also about the pc version being done. How are you so sure? Or are you going off of things you heard? I haven't looked into it, but I could careless.

I think if the pc version was done, I think it's good they hold it until the xbox360 version is done. If people hear that the pc version sucked (don't think it would happen) but one little person could make a difference. That person could then ruin it for the xbox360 and there sales would slender. Plus it's only fair to bring them out at the same time.

So in short, quit b*tching. It's not the first game that has been delayed. I knew it would, especially after I heard what Lynx had to say about it. I am happy about that, so it can improve even more. Also, for all those who don't like any of the other games to hit on release date, well too bad for you I guess.

StudioAlex
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
No offense but Lynx came off as either not knowing what he was talking about or having not spent enough time to make a real judgement. He summed up Oblivion by comparing it to Fable. Enough said.

Rhiannon
10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
It wouldn't be a Bethesda game without the bugs. We love them despite that!

I wish they would just release the PC version now, and let the XBox2 version ship when it is ready.

I disagree, i think they should delay it indefinately untill all the known bugs are taken care of and all inclusesive content works properly...heaven forbid I have another Fable(not that they are in the same league, but rushing while game is not complete I mean) on my hands.

FatBox
10-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I think it is for the better, it will only improve the game. Usually game companies screw something up if they are rushed making a game.

George89
10-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Now that i think of it, didn't this also happen to Morrowind? It was supposed to come out like in early 2002 or something and it didn't end up coming out until the summer. But this is only 2 weeks......that is unless Bethesda pushes it back even more.

ShadedNine
10-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Now that i think of it, didn't this also happen to Morrowind? It was supposed to come out like in early 2002 or something and it didn't end up coming out until the summer. But this is only 2 weeks......that is unless Bethesda pushes it back even more.

Morrowind was delayed repeatedly. But that was a rather different launch...the PC version was done and released long before the Xbox version, which was more of an afterthought at the time (and the first Elder Scrolls game to make consoles). I don't know if there were any delays in porting the game over to Xbox, but it wasn't developed side-by-side as Oblivion has been.

swivel
10-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I think it is for the better, it will only improve the game. Usually game companies screw something up if they are rushed making a game.

You guys talk as if this game has been in development for as long as you've heard about it.

I've been following this game for two years. It has been in development for over three years.

The problem here is not the game.

2 Weeks / 156 Weeks = .013% of development time.

The problem is with the XBox2. They've had this game running great on the PC's they built it on, they get the XBox2 hardware and the game looks and runs poorly. You really think this is a time constraint problem? I think it is a multi-core problem. A hardware problem.

My guess would be that they are trying to figure out how to chunk the code into multiple threads right now so they can get the resolution back up and have the thing hit target fps rates.

Nameless
10-13-2005, 06:17 PM
My understanding is that devs were given the final kits for the Xbox extremely late into the development process.

swivel
10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
My understanding is that devs were given the final kits for the Xbox extremely late into the development process.

Yeah, I think that has been a problem.

Microsoft admitted recently that the launch could be rough for them. Running out of systems might be good for the mystique of the system, though. Create a Tickle-Me-Elmo effect that leads to good '06 Q1 sales.

I just hope we don't get a PSP Pixel problem, or some unforeseen glitch.

In general, system launches suck. In 6 months is where the fun begins.

Which would be bad for the PS3, eh?

StudioAlex
10-13-2005, 09:53 PM
The problem is with the XBox2. They've had this game running great on the PC's they built it on, they get the XBox2 hardware and the game looks and runs poorly. You really think this is a time constraint problem? I think it is a multi-core problem. A hardware problem. Keep drinking the kool-aid. Morrowind ran pretty poorly on then current PC setups, at least the ones you were likely to find in people's homes. I'll drink a bucket of lard if the PC version of Oblivion is any less problematic for the first year of its release.

Smiley7853
10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm just a really impatient person I guess..
Can't wait till it comes out.

....maybe I'll build a time machine....
that'd be pretty wicked awsome...

swivel
10-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Keep drinking the kool-aid. Morrowind ran pretty poorly on then current PC setups, at least the ones you were likely to find in people's homes. I'll drink a bucket of lard if the PC version of Oblivion is any less problematic for the first year of its release.

Morrowind ran great on PC's when it came out. Unless you were trying to run it faster than you should have been. The problem with PC players is that they want to run with the minimum requirements, then turn on 4X AA at 1024X768 with max textures res.

If you adjusted Morrowind to your specs, it ran great. I was running it full blast from day one with no hiccups. Yes, PC gaming is more expensive than console gaming. So is driving a Porsche instead of a Pinto.

Too many of you are pulling up to the line in your Pinto, looking over at a Porsche, and trying to keep up. Of course you are going to blow that engine.

And everytime someone throws the dismissive kool-aid comment into a post, I assume they have nothing constructive to add, since they are now attacking ad hominem.

StudioAlex
10-14-2005, 09:15 AM
And everytime someone throws the dismissive kool-aid comment into a post, I assume they have nothing constructive to add, since they are now attacking ad hominem.
If you're so above it then why did you respond? Regardless, my experience, and that of my friends, was that Morrowind crashed a lot on PCs. A friend of mine who still plays it still has the occasional crash after a couple of hours of play and he has an updated and powerful setup. Since it's essentially anecdotal evidence vs anecdotal evidence, there's really nothing else to say.

swivel
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
If you're so above it then why did you respond? Regardless, my experience, and that of my friends, was that Morrowind crashed a lot on PCs. A friend of mine who still plays it still has the occasional crash after a couple of hours of play and he has an updated and powerful setup. Since it's essentially anecdotal evidence vs anecdotal evidence, there's really nothing else to say.

I'm not above any type of argument. I love getting ad hominem. Just wondering if you were through.

Sorry about you and your friend. You should update your drivers more often. That is the number one reason for PC game problems. Most people go months before updating graphics and sound drivers, much less BIOS, 4-in-1, LAN etc...

Most people should just stick to consoles. They are idiot-proof (see?).

StudioAlex
10-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm not above any type of argument. I love getting ad hominem. Just wondering if you were through.

Sorry about you and your friend. You should update your drivers more often. That is the number one reason for PC game problems. Most people go months before updating graphics and sound drivers, much less BIOS, 4-in-1, LAN etc...

Most people should just stick to consoles. They are idiot-proof (see?).YEs, my friend who is in his post graduate studies for electrical engineering is an idiot.

swivel
10-14-2005, 02:12 PM
YEs, my friend who is in his post graduate studies for electrical engineering is an idiot.

I'm sure he is very good at the thing he studies.

Jackyboy
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I'll drink a bucket of lard if the PC version of Oblivion is any less problematic for the first year of its release.

careful what you say, i will hold you to it

ShadedNine
10-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Well, any PC Game is going to be problematic. You can blame it on the drivers, you can blame it on lack of testing with a particular piece or vendor of hardware. Personally, I didn't find Morrowind to be any worse than similar games released around the same time. It's not always about drivers or knowledge either. I consider myself more than capable of maintaining a computer in good working order, and have several certifications and a degree that support that statement. Yet, running B&W2, I suffer from horrible mouse lag, as do many owners of logitech mice. The solution wasn't as simple as switching mice or uninstalling/installing new drivers, so I gave up. I could likely root out the issue (which was caused by B&W2 not recognizing a hardware cursor), but it just wasn't worth the effort.

Anyway, this thread has certainly been well derailed, but I'm not worried that my system won't be capable of running Oblivion smoothly, but I have little doubt that my graphical capabilities are not going to rival the 360...not yet.

swivel
10-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Anyway, this thread has certainly been well derailed, but I'm not worried that my system won't be capable of running Oblivion smoothly, but I have little doubt that my graphical capabilities are not going to rival the 360...not yet.

Derailments are fun. And great post, I agree with much of what you say.

Except that my twin 7800 GTX's are overclocked and will spank an XBox2 sideways.

Of course, they cost more than a Gamestop Pre-Order, but I'm lucky that money is no option for me.

I can't wait to run the game at 1600 X 1200 with everything turned up to the max. Just to see if my watercooling fluid turns brown when my GPU's crap their pants.

I swear, the only reason I build PC's is for game releases like this. Sadly, my last system is already retired, and I built it for Half Life 2 and Doom 3. Funny how quickly the pride turns to shame and a new object of affection is born. Now my girlfriend checks her email on a computer most geeks would forego sex to own.

Is gaming a disease? Sure.

And I'm terminal.

pepsilover
10-18-2005, 10:20 AM
What is the ebgames mafia going to do with their bundle choice now with that game out for a bit.

Maybe they can actually let the players pick the game

Whisper
10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't mind that this isn't making launch because

A) I'm not going to get it.

B) Even if I was, I would want the game to be complete, and not be a rough copy. You all should be glad they're taking the time to fix and improve things.