PDA

View Full Version : Don’t kill off Xbox early’

Nato King
10-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Publishers and retailers have called on Microsoft not to forget about the original Xbox platform, pointing out the huge opportunities that still exist.

There’s no doubting the market’s excitement about the impending launch of the 360 console. But with software sales on the original Xbox format at their lowest for a year (see below), the trade has called for the giant not to forget its first born.

http://www.mcvuk.com/files/news/545/Xbox.jpg

Breaking News (http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=545)

swivel
10-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Good find. Thanks.

I have to say this is inevitable with a new launch. And Gates has admitted that the first XBox was really nothing but an expensive market research and development test.

In the future, I think companies should do new console launches in the summer, so the good games cook a little longer and hit the holidays. Bored schoolkids will drive sales in May/June, and early adopters and hardcore gamers will always buy early. This will allow supply to meet demand around the holidays.

Summers are way too dry for gaming. We don't need all the 'A' titles to come out around Xmas. What we need is these games spaced evenly over the months, much like the movie industry has learned. A big release each week, with a blockbuster a month, would be better than the deluge and competition that takes place this time of year.

Right now I am looking at F.E.A.R., Civ 4, Oblivion, The Movies and a half-dozen other titles over the next month alone. Compare this with how bored I have been over the last 3 months. It makes ZERO sense to me. They are losing money, and I am losing gaming hours. Idiotic.

FatBox
10-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Well I think that the huge opportunities were already met with the Halo games.

swivel
10-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Well I think that the huge opportunities were already met with the Halo games.

Sadly, that is the only franchise anyone really thinks of when they think of the XBox. That was the big letdown for me. I wanted more characters to fall in love with. Nintendo has Zelda and Mario. Sony has Dante, Sly, Ratchet and Jak. Microsoft has Halo.

It's ok for those of us that have all three systems, but the only thing I really did with my XBox the last few years is buy the cross-platform games that came out. I knew they would look better on the XBox, and I wouldn't need memory cards. There should be more of a software draw than that.

They did online very well, but cheaters and little punks ruined much of that for me. If I want a fragfest, that's what my PC is for.

Still, like I said earlier in this thread, the XBox was a test. And for a test to outsell the once and mighty king, Nintendo, is a wonderful feat. I really think MS is going to be a force in console gaming this next generation to rival Sony, and I think the games will be great in a year, but I'm letdown by the XBox and skipping the launch. And there are not many early-adopters more rabid than I.

ShadedNine
10-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Not many perhaps, but at least one ;)

If it's new, and electrons flow through it, I want one. Seriously though, I agree with you regarding the silly deluge of fall/xmas games that hit shelves too late. I've been back to playing Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, since lately I seem to have run into an RPG craving.

At least F.E.A.R. is already out, so I can look forward to that one right away, and then it'll be a rush to get as much out of Civ4 as I can before the 360 hits shelves, at which point I'll probably spend a good chunk of time trying to make the top 100 in PGR (I'd say top 10, but it's not rally racing, so I won't make it).

Personally, I'm done with my Xbox. My PC has far far outstripped it in graphical capability, and 480p on *some* titles just doesn't cut it for me.

swivel
10-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Not many perhaps, but at least one ;)

If it's new, and electrons flow through it, I want one. Seriously though, I agree with you regarding the silly deluge of fall/xmas games that hit shelves too late. I've been back to playing Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, since lately I seem to have run into an RPG craving.

At least F.E.A.R. is already out, so I can look forward to that one right away, and then it'll be a rush to get as much out of Civ4 as I can before the 360 hits shelves, at which point I'll probably spend a good chunk of time trying to make the top 100 in PGR (I'd say top 10, but it's not rally racing, so I won't make it).

Personally, I'm done with my Xbox. My PC has far far outstripped it in graphical capability, and 480p on *some* titles just doesn't cut it for me.

Mom?! Can ShadedNine come over and play!?

Dude. You sound like my clone. I'm playing F.E.A.R. right now, dreaming about ruling as the Persians in Civ4, and booting up old RPG's in anticipation of Oblivion.

And I haven't touched my consoles except for a brief run with Burnout: Revenge over a month ago. Chaulk that up to a kick-butt PC that I haven't even broken in enough to see how far it will overclock.

And my gadget addiction is such that I will go to Circuit City or Best Buy and snatch up a few DAP's or Dcams, take them all home, give them a whirl, and return the ones I don't want. I have 4 PC's in the house, and it is only my girlfriend and I that live here. My basement was designed around my consoles, with Gamecube, PS2, and XBox games and paraphenalia scattered and mounted everywhere.

Man... that's why I love this forum. To everyone else in my life, I am crazy. My hobby seems like a waste to them. I can't talk to anyone about my passions (mainly technology, atheism, and political fanaticism). If you are ever in the Charlottesville area of Virginia, look me up.