PDA

View Full Version : BC....Just read I have a good question

TheWheelMan
10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Backwards Compatibility yes I know a burning question and I do know most of the answers....Such as the 360 will have BC but only top selling titles are going to be compatible and only with the premium package with the Hard Drive. Also MS plans on slowly releasing more as they slowly emulate more. Now heres my question and Im not sure if its been discussed and I dont feel like searching through awhole heep of posts...??Will there be maybe an option in the browser or wherever to make the xbox game being played on the 360 look abit better or run alittle smoother, Something similar to what sony did with the ps2 and there BC where you could toggle smoother graphics and better load times?? so thats my question hopefully someone will have a long detailed answer or whatever works lol :p thank you for your time

ShadedNine
10-17-2005, 09:56 PM
It's all speculation, and I'm not familiar with what Sony is planning or at least claiming to do. However, a basic understanding of emulation is enough to provide a few answers. I can assure there won't be a happy little button that says "yes please, run my games better". That makes about as much sense as the old 'Turbo' button on prehistoric PCs. That being said, the games likely *will* load faster, and when it comes to straight frame-rate, should run smoother. Granted you lose a ton of efficiency running emulation, the 360's hardware more than compensates for that loss.

Will your games look better? They may be able to squeeze in a little more Anti-Aliasing and Anistropic filtering for what it's worth. But with the possible exception of games put out *after* the 360 dev kit release, in which case developers could throw in little toggles to take advantage of the extra horsepower..I wouldn't count on anything night and day.

I'm not sure exactly how Sony is planning on implementing their emulation, or if they're even switching development platforms (I sure hope so, it would be pretty silly not to), but they too will face the same limitations...the PS2 games will still be in the standard resolution, no polygons will be added...etc. There's no way around that.

LynxFX
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Only BC I care about on the Xbox is this:
http://www.xbox.com/media/games/bcgame/sim-bc-0004.jpg

Hopefully it gets resurrected on the 360.

Bakeman
10-18-2005, 03:38 AM

That would be amazing!!! That game was looking soooo good, I was totally bummed when they stopped development on it.

BoogerBoy
10-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Yeah me too, it looked so cool :(

Jackyboy
10-18-2005, 06:56 AM
will xbox games that werent live be live on the 360?

TheWheelMan
10-18-2005, 07:49 AM
It's all speculation, and I'm not familiar with what Sony is planning or at least claiming to do. However, a basic understanding of emulation is enough to provide a few answers. I can assure there won't be a happy little button that says "yes please, run my games better". That makes about as much sense as the old 'Turbo' button on prehistoric PCs. That being said, the games likely *will* load faster, and when it comes to straight frame-rate, should run smoother. Granted you lose a ton of efficiency running emulation, the 360's hardware more than compensates for that loss.

Will your games look better? They may be able to squeeze in a little more Anti-Aliasing and Anistropic filtering for what it's worth. But with the possible exception of games put out *after* the 360 dev kit release, in which case developers could throw in little toggles to take advantage of the extra horsepower..I wouldn't count on anything night and day.

I'm not sure exactly how Sony is planning on implementing their emulation, or if they're even switching development platforms (I sure hope so, it would be pretty silly not to), but they too will face the same limitations...the PS2 games will still be in the standard resolution, no polygons will be added...etc. There's no way around that.

You didnt know the ps2 had a function like that?? theres an interface in the dashboard that when you want to play a ps1 game you could toggle quicker load times and make things look a tad sharper nothing amazing but it was there and that was my general question if anyone knew but I guess ya its all just speculation even though the 360 is supposidly shipping next month

TheWheelMan
10-18-2005, 07:50 AM

I hear that....O man that game made me all warm inside it looked so good :nightmare

Shadow20002
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
So good and take FOREVER to come in the mold of Duke Nukem.

Whisper
10-18-2005, 12:12 PM
BC is going to be flop. I don't see many people actually bothering to play the older games... other than Halo 2 until Halo 3 comes out. Other than that, people are going to move on to the new.

TheWheelMan
10-18-2005, 02:12 PM
hey if I had a decent tv and cash to actually buy a 360 I would and id probably trade in my xbox to lower the cost abit

Mwright
10-18-2005, 03:49 PM
really i mean this whole backwords thing is kinda just a waste of microsofts time....1st off ur xbox is going to work just as well as the day b4 u get ur 360... n 2nd of all like the other person said....not that many people are going to use this feature besides halo 2.... not a lot of people even use it on the ps2......i dont have 1 but my brother does and he used it like twice.(lets just hope that this feature makes the ps3 less powerful hehehe)

TheWheelMan
10-18-2005, 03:53 PM
ya thats true I know my xbox is still ganna work but im saying if I ever do have the cash I might as well get the bigger better deal and trade in the box or sell it to lower costs

Mwright
10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
well i kno that i have the special edtion halo xbox so i do not want to trade it in unless some1 wants to give me a lot 4 it...which wont happen

Jackyboy
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
i would use it, probably because i wont have too many 360 games to play

TheWheelMan
10-18-2005, 06:46 PM
The one game id make damn sure to get is Oblivion :)

Jackyboy
10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
The one game id make damn sure to get is Oblivion :)
thinking about it, i thought morrowind was kinda boring though :(