PDA

View Full Version : Free roaming games. Friends or foe?

tastycakes
10-18-2005, 02:07 AM
we've all played our freeroaming games. Such as Grand Theft Auto. But now i want to know YOUR opinion. in this thread we will be discussing:

*GTA games. Do we love all its freedome to move around freely? Or does it's corny asbects get the better of you?

*Mercanaries playground of destruction. If (like me) you have played this GTA similar war game. what do you think about it?

*The pros and cons of any freeroaming games and what could be improved about them.

*Any other info. Help or cheats about any freeroaming game

Whisper
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
You sound like a teacher. I hated school.

I like the free roaming in GTA:SA... I still play it occaisionally when I feel like beating hookers. It's safe to say if I didn't have this game, I would be in prison.

Jackyboy
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
i like it just fine, especially if you can blow sh1t up

TheWheelMan
10-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Mercenaries was a decent game I still gotta pick it up at somepoint....Im getting all fidgity thinking about not having it :crying: ......and how fun it was to call in the sportscar and cruise around in that :D

Smiley7853
10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Freeroaming games are pretty wicked awsome.It takes away the linear aspects on the game. I hate having to stay on stuff like a set path for a game. OOhhhh, how I can't wait for oblivion to come out. it will probably take this concept to the next level.

TheWheelMan
10-19-2005, 02:59 PM
ya for sure people are saying the 360 doesnt really have a killer app for launch but I think Oblivion is killer enough but until then pick up Morrowind....super fun free roaming goodness :)

Smiley7853
10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
yeh, but it sucks that it's been delayed for another two weeks after launch. still gonna be frickin awsome.

Max33
10-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Interesting topic.

I love freedom.The more options & choices I have within a givin enviorment the better. Besides the obvious graphical limitations of huge open enviorments, it seems to me that developers have yet to devise a way to keep the story as engaging and at a dramatic pace,which in my experience have been sacrificed to a certain degree.

Hangnail
10-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I love my free roaming games. It takes the gameplay to a new level, letting you do what ever you want. GTA was just fun to sorta make your own missions out of everthing.

I do think Oblivion will take this to a new level though, since you will pretty much be in a world full of living people. In GTA, there were just people walking down the sidewalk, and that was it. In Oblivion, they have there own goals, own lives, own everything. So you may just be walking and be ambushed by some person who wants to level up. It is going to be an awesome experiance. May be the only game I buy for the 360 for the first 5 months...

m4oH
10-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I love my free roaming games. It takes the gameplay to a new level, letting you do what ever you want. GTA was just fun to sorta make your own missions out of everthing.

I do think Oblivion will take this to a new level though, since you will pretty much be in a world full of living people. In GTA, there were just people walking down the sidewalk, and that was it. In Oblivion, they have there own goals, own lives, own everything. So you may just be walking and be ambushed by some person who wants to level up. It is going to be an awesome experiance. May be the only game I buy for the 360 for the first 5 months...
Completely agree up until the last sentence.:p I'm probably only gonna buy this game and PGR3.

Ninjermy
10-22-2005, 11:04 PM
I enjoy freeroamers but I dont absolutely love them. I dont like linear either.
I guess my favorite kinda game would have to be countstrike FPS shooters or racing games, u no stuff where everytime you pick up the controller, you get to do the same thing over and over :)

Ford Mustang
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Free-roaming games tend to have more replayability and keep you interested longer simply due to the fact that there are multiple ways of doing everything. That's good in my book, at least.

George89
10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
free roaming is fun i think but i hope it doesn't become the standard.

Ninjermy
10-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm with George. Freeroam is great but sometimes storylines are so epic and great that linear is necessary in getting the ending across in a powerful way.