PDA

View Full Version : XB the Next DC?

Durden-XBA
02-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know how well the X-Box and its games are selling around the world? I should imagine that they've made at least a partial dent in Sony's sales. Also, how is Game Cube doing? Does it look like these 3 can co-exist, or will one of them take a DreamCast like plunge?

Thanks in advance.

Stoudman
02-19-2002, 10:48 PM
I suspect the original Gamecube will take the DC plunge, but there is a newer version of the Gamecube in Asia right now, and it is pretty kickass. Basically they added a DVD player, and made it very showy, but it still looks decent. My bet is, that version of the Gamecube will sell pretty well if it comes to America, which it probably will. However, the current version will probably fall out like DC, but not before releasing many a game. PS2 and Xbox will remain in contest, even if the FF series goes to Xbox, until a new system arises.

Is your first name Tyler? (as in Tyler durden from Fight Club) :rolleyes:

Sada
02-19-2002, 10:50 PM
It just got released in Japan. It'll be really interesting to see how it does against Sony there (since Sony is Japanese). This one article I read says it doesn't look promising for XBOX, which isn't good because Japan buy 1/3 of the world's gaming products.

It's also interesting that they changed the controller to fit the "average Japanese user." I think I'd like one though! I have small hands myself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/18/technology/ebusiness/18GAME.html

fear_this
02-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Wow, chineese people must have small hands. :)

fear_this
02-19-2002, 10:54 PM
or, Japaneese people. :eek:

Sada
02-19-2002, 10:57 PM
Gad, you're an idiot. You remind me of a guy I went to high school with who thought Japan was a city in China.

Azazel
02-20-2002, 02:45 AM
I think they are all gonna make it. I wouldnt mind seeing PS2 get knocked out, but I dont think it will happen.

BTW, yes he is a total idiot!

fear_this
02-20-2002, 09:38 AM
Yo chill out. I miss read the frekin post. You people jump to things too fast. :mad:

Ninja Scroll
02-20-2002, 09:47 AM
Actually according to the people who do research on videogame console & software sales ( NPD Group ) say over te holiday season Xbox nor KiddyCube had no effect on PS2's sales numbers one bit.
But all 3 companies made there fair share of paper over the holidays.

Bottom line, if Microsoft does not meet Sony in advertising in paper and television commercials than they can kiss any type of victory party good bye.
Plus no matter how we all feel- without Square and or Enix, the Xbox is not be successful in Japan. I strongly feel that way.
Plus this Blood Wack commercial every 5 minutes is getting pretty annoying. Microsoft should spend that money on a gerne people care about other than boat riding games:rolleyes: makes me think of Hydro Thunder:rolleyes:

JJaX
02-20-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
:rolleyes: makes me think of Hydro Thunder:rolleyes:

Hey hey hey now!

Dont compare hydro thunder to blood wack. Hydro thunder is cool.

And no way is Xbox gonna die like DC.

First of all we have to look at the evolution of gaming. Multiplayer online is the way to go. And the Xbox was built just for this. Pretty soon everything is gonna have somehting to do with online gaming and xbox already has a great advantage. Its microsoft for Cryst sake. And once Ps2 owners realize its cheaper to get an xbox then a ps2, HD, and Broadband adpapter we can begin are quest for world domination. MWahahaha Our armys will storm in and rape you all, Branding you with the Tagg -=OwNeD=-

shererboat
02-20-2002, 10:06 AM
HYDRO THUNDER!!!!

**shererboat hides in corner as he realizes he cant mimic the sound of the hydro thunder game on this post**

damm1t!!

Ninja Scroll
02-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Hey hey hey now!

Dont compare hydro thunder to blood wack. Hydro thunder is cool.

yeah, in da arcade it was! But on the Dreamcast it was just not da same foe real doe! Maybe it was because of the experience of being in da drivers seat in da arcades with those super cool handles!:p

fear_this
02-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Man, That game was awesome! :) I liked the chumdinger The little boat with the dog on it. That went so fast! Anyway is Artic Thunder anything like Hydro Thunder? :confused:

JJaX
02-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by fear_this
Man, That game was awesome! :) I liked the chumdinger The little boat with the dog on it. That went so fast! Anyway is Artic Thunder anything like Hydro Thunder? :confused:

ARTIC THUNDER ISnt as good as hyro thunder, But its colder and old man shererboat took a steamy dump on it. It stinks.

shererboat
02-20-2002, 10:14 AM
REAL STEAMY!!!!

mwaa ha ha haa!!!;)

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 10:31 AM
If any system is poised to die some time in the future, I think it's Sony. Look at all of the add-ons they are coming up with! They are trying to make the PoS2 and XBox! But, the funny thing is, none of the games have the proper code written on them to utilize these add-ons! Think about it for a moment...let's say the PoS2 has a new hard-drive add-on. In this situation, will anyone be able to save their best lap time on Grand Turismo onto the hard-drive or their latest senseless beating of a women after playing Grand Theft Auto III? The clear answer is "No". Why? The games wouldn't realize that the PoS2 has the added-on hard-drive!

It's my prediction that this is the beginning of the end for Sony. People will start to realize what the XBox has to offer. Microsoft thought of everything...Sony is not even halfway there. Unless the PoS2 is successful in coming up with a successor (let's say the PoS3), then, kiss the G a y station goodbye ;)

By the way, WELCOME BACK NINJA SCROLL!! :D

Ninja Scroll
02-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
If any system is poised to die some time in the future, I think it's Sony. Look at all of the add-ons they are coming up with! They are trying to make the PoS2 and XBox! But, the funny thing is, none of the games have the proper code written on them to utilize these add-ons! Think about it for a moment...let's say the PoS2 has a new hard-drive add-on. In this situation, will anyone be able to save their best lap time on Grand Turismo onto the hard-drive or their latest senseless beating of a women after playing Grand Theft Auto III? The clear answer is "No". Why? The games wouldn't realize that the PoS2 has the added-on hard-drive!

It's my prediction that this is the beginning of the end for Sony. People will start to realize what the XBox has to offer. Microsoft thought of everything...Sony is not even halfway there. Unless the PoS2 is successful in coming up with a successor (let's say the PoS3), then, kiss the G a y station goodbye ;)

By the way, WELCOME BACK NINJA SCROLL!! :D

Thanks waximus:o was I missed? I gotta tell ya, 4 day off from da addict maybe nothing to some of my fellow mear mortal addict comrades, but I was about to commit suicide if I was gone any longer!

Okay, as far as my side kicks comments goes, I agree with you to a certain extent little waxy jr.
I feel the add-on for Sony's internet/online plans will fail misserably.
We all know in the gaming industry add-ons dont work no matter what da case maybe. I dont feel even da mightly Final Fantasy IX (or is it XI ?) online will save Sony's upcoming natural disaster!
I just cant wait until it debuts in da US and it flops.
Then online comes into play this upcoming summer I think this will be the key time for Microsoft to make it's move.
And I mean advertise da hell out of it on TV cause without commercials it wont be a success with just word of mouth.
:)

note to Microsoft: spend that $500 million on commercials other than Blood Wack,...sheeeeeeeesh ,:rolleyes: if I see dat commercial one more time im gonna go crazy!:eek:

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Thanks waximus:o was I missed? I gotta tell ya, 4 day off from da addict maybe nothing to some of my fellow mear mortal addict comrades, but I was about to commit suicide if I was gone any longer!

Okay, as far as my side kicks comments goes, I agree with you to a certain extent little waxy jr.
I feel the add-on for Sony's internet/online plans will fail misserably.
We all know in the gaming industry add-ons dont work no matter what da case maybe. I dont feel even da mightly Final Fantasy IX (or is it XI ?) online will save Sony's upcoming natural disaster!
I just cant wait until it debuts in da US and it flops.
Then online comes into play this upcoming summer I think this will be the key time for Microsoft to make it's move.
And I mean advertise da hell out of it on TV cause without commercials it wont be a success with just word of mouth.
:)

note to Microsoft: spend that $500 million on commercials other than Blood Wack,...sheeeeeeeesh ,:rolleyes: if I see dat commercial one more time im gonna go crazy!:eek:

Yo Ninja! Great to have you back! I almost went crazy without getting my chicken wings and my beer delivered to me on a daily basis! So, you have some work to catch up on, dude! :D

By the way, this is not to make fun of you...but rather, just to show you how roman numerals work: X = 10. And, to make 11, you add the " I " after the " X ". To make 9, the " I " comes before the " X ".

But, anyway....I agree 100% with your example on Sony's on-line gaming add-on. By the time any game comes out that even has the capability to go on-line, there will be so much dust in Sony's servers it will be pathetic!

Microsoft, as you know, has had plans with this from the get go. I didn't know how appealing the on-line gaming world would be until I played Halo via Gamespy. MAN!!! From that experience, I can tell you that it's going to be SWEEEEEET!!! And, you made an outstanding point that advertisement needs to seriously surround getting on-line...this also brings more players on-line to play against :)

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Stoudman
I suspect the original Gamecube will take the DC plunge, but there is a newer version of the Gamecube in Asia right now, and it is pretty kickass. Basically they added a DVD player, and made it very showy, but it still looks decent. My bet is, that version of the Gamecube will sell pretty well if it comes to America, which it probably will. However, the current version will probably fall out like DC, but not before releasing many a game. PS2 and Xbox will remain in contest, even if the FF series goes to Xbox, until a new system arises.

Is your first name Tyler? (as in Tyler durden from Fight Club) :rolleyes: Yes the GameCube DVD (Panasonic Q) has been out in Japan since December, and while it isn't selling nearly as well as the Original GCN, they are still selling out. However the Panasonic Q will NEVER hit US shores, so you'll have to import one if you want it.

On the same subject, Famitzu did several surveys in Japan this week regarding the XBox in Japan. About 50% of their polls roughly said the Xbox is planned on being bought, and 20% of those are already preordered. I'd say that's pretty d@mn good... DOA3 rose to number 12 on the most wanted list there (after the #23 spot last week), but still isn't in the top ten populated by Star Ocean 3, FFXI, Tekken 4, and Zelda....and yes, Smash Bros DX is still outselling MGS2 by some 200,000 units there....wierd for the country that's been anticipating MGS for a year...

As for the bias, there were still lots of votes saying the Xbox controller is too big, even though it's the size of a PS2 controller for them, with a better button layout-- what's up with these people?

Oh well, the launch is Friday (the same day of the AOU debuts of Soul Calibur II on Nintendo's arcade board), so we'll see how it fares there. Xbox will more than likely take Europe from Nintendo and Sony, seeing as GameCube owners have to wait till May for launch, and FFX won't be there for awhile.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
As for the bias, there were still lots of votes saying the Xbox controller is too big, even though it's the size of a PS2 controller for them, with a better button layout-- what's up with these people?

I believe that the current statistics from the Japanese, in regards to the current Japanese XBox controller, is likely to change dramatically once they actually get to hold one rather than only having the option to simply look at it.

And, I agree with you that the GameCube will do very well in Japan...always has and always will. That's one HUGE market for Nintendo which also dominates the hand held industry. But, I can't wait to see the Japanese reactions when they finally get to see the XBox in action...and when the average Japanese gamer gets to see the slew of options that the XBox has as opposed to the GameCube. On-line gaming via consoles, is the future. It's going to be very interesting for the XBox over there :)

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 11:48 AM

I believe that the current statistics from the Japanese, in regards to the current Japanese XBox controller, is likely to change dramatically once they actually get to hold one rather than only having the option to simply look at it.

And, I agree with you that the GameCube will do very well in Japan...always has and always will. That's one HUGE market for Nintendo which also dominates the hand held industry. But, I can't wait to see the Japanese reactions when they finally get to see the XBox in action...and when the average Japanese gamer gets to see the slew of options that the XBox has as opposed to the GameCube. On-line gaming via consoles, is the future. It's going to be very interesting for the XBox over there :) Yeah, let's just hope Sony doesn't get to them first, on that note Maximus- they're planning to kick-off their Online assualt as early as May this year....:(

robnyack
02-20-2002, 11:53 AM
my guess is there only room for 2 game console systems, and Sony's ps2 has such a firm grip on a big share of the market, they are not going to go anywhere. So, that leaves xbox and gamecube. Xbox is doing far better than the gamecube and has developed a much better buzz than gamecube, and xbox clearly is the better system. So, my guess is gamecube will ultimately be the loser and ps and xb will will fighting it out for a long time to come.

As for sales....xbox had a excellent launch and sold a heck of alot of units thru the holidays, and got almost all the buzz thru the holidays, but, ps2 also kept chugging right along, actually outselling the xbox during the holiday season.

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Yeah, let's just hope Sony doesn't get to them first, on that note Maximus- they're planning to kick-off their Online assualt as early as May this year....:(

I'm not too worried about Sony's on-line deal. It won't be successful unless they have the appealing games ready to launch at that time, as you should agree. And, I believe that many PoS2 owners will not be too pursuaded to purchase the on-line add-on and then purchase a new game back to back. This type of technique could be the beginning of the end for Sony's on-line venture. I guess we'll see... It definately will be interesting to see what happens :)

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 01:49 PM

I'm not too worried about Sony's on-line deal. It won't be successful unless they have the appealing games ready to launch at that time, as you should agree. And, I believe that many PoS2 owners will not be too pursuaded to purchase the on-line add-on and then purchase a new game back to back. This type of technique could be the beginning of the end for Sony's on-line venture. I guess we'll see... It definately will be interesting to see what happens :) I dunno; I know alot of Sony Fanboys (my old college roomates and other college chums), that knew about the PS2 being online as far back as this time last year...Seems that the fanboys are more informed about the PS2 than typical GCN or Xbox fanboys...

They seem to know the console inside-out; when the next game is coming and everything. As far as consoles other than PS2, well...of course they lack that info, but I've found at least five of my buds that were drooling over recent Sony announcements, and want to actually IMPORT the HD kit so they can get it before anyone else...

Not that I'm worried; between Xbox and GameCube, I've got all the PS2 I could ever want, minus the FF games...

gula
02-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Sada
It just got released in Japan. It'll be really interesting to see how it does against Sony there (since Sony is Japanese). This one article I read says it doesn't look promising for XBOX, which isn't good because Japan buy 1/3 of the world's gaming products.

It's also interesting that they changed the controller to fit the "average Japanese user." I think I'd like one though! I have small hands myself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/18/technology/ebusiness/18GAME.html

It didn't get released in Japan yet! It comes out on 2/22!

Afro Aura
02-20-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Sada
Gad, you're an idiot. You remind me of a guy I went to high school with who thought Japan was a city in China.
Hey leave him alone they both have tiny hands