PDA

View Full Version : Don’t tell us this is really the Xbox 360’s adapter

Nato King
10-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Microsoft has tried to reduce the size of the 360 by externalizing the A/C adapter, but Holy Moses!...look at the size of that thing! Hopefully that is not the A/C adapter that will ship along side the 360 November 22.
http://www.havamedia.net/CGR/3/M/HAVABlog/4/772_1434.jpg
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3060000000049679.JPG?0.9542569939014139

We saw a lot at Microsoft’s Xbox 360 preview event in New York last week and we asked more questions than were probably actually welcome (you can usually tell when the otherwise totally ingratiating Microsoft peeps start wincing and tapping their toes at you). But the one thing we didn’t think to ask about was the power adapter. It was missing from sight (how convenient!) and we’re sure hoping to god the one that comes with the system isn’t the freaking insane brick you see here, which is rumored to be the AC adapter—at least the adapter for the dev kit boxes, anyway. Believe us, by our approximations the thing pictured here is roughly the size of a small nation-state.

A/C Adapter (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000787063818/)

SoundX
10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Just what the 360 needs, a giant clump of crap sitting right beside it.

That better not be real.

Whisper
10-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Ouch.. good thing it will be hidden behind my entertainment center.... if it fits through my door.

Mwright
10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
no thats is not the power cord...i hope so....most likely its just something used to make sure they wont have to make another recall like they did with the current xbox or they r just testing it 4 something

swivel
10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Imagine our power bills with that thing cooking. Egads.

Hero
10-18-2005, 04:57 PM
whats funny is that thing is about half as big as the 360 itself.

Ninjermy
10-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Id rather it be that big and external then that big and INTERNAL. Just be glad you can hide it because it coulda been worse!

Hero
10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
i kinda liked the big xbox...that thing is a tank.

Jackyboy
10-18-2005, 06:11 PM
:cuss:

laughs
10-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Now I'm going to have to get an EB employee to help me out to my car with it..... That's great!

Ford Mustang
10-18-2005, 08:05 PM
The damn cord better be long enough to hide it behind something.

LiquidX
10-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Damn, Imagine if they ever have to recall those like they did with the power cords. One of those might burn a whole block down.

ll Mista GT ll
10-18-2005, 08:28 PM
I bet people will find a way to use them as bombs! (Of course, that's what i think :D)

Double_Diablo
10-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Oh my gosh. Will I even be able to fit that in my house? Or, I could always make that my house. Damn that's huge.

Mwright
10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Thats Not The Powercord

Flame Sword8
10-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Mabey it could power my house.

swivel
10-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Now I'm going to have to get an EB employee to help me out to my car with it..... That's great!

Funniest thing I've heard/seen all month.

Whisper
10-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Well the cord does look long enough to fit behind my setup so I will never see it.. but once I get it back there it can never fit back out. Prehaps that is the intention.

Shadow20002
10-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Yea, Microsoft promise the next-gen Xbox will be smaller than the first one. Well, at least not the adapter so no complain.

Mwright
10-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Holy S$*t People>>>we Do Not Even Know If This Is The Real Adapter

Dj Logical 1
10-19-2005, 05:20 PM
that is pretty huge, i thought this new "gen" generation was suppose to make things more adequate, and more remote to anything. But this adapter is just huge.

Mwright
10-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Omfg Its Not The Adapter>>>please Close This Thread Now!

swivel
10-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Omfg Its Not The Adapter>>>please Close This Thread Now!

I wonder if anyone at the various WalMarts could give us a hand here. Someone go stand beside one of the pedestals and let us know if your legs get warm.

ShadedNine
10-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Meh, it can't make the explosion of wires behind my entertainment stand any worse.

I may be drawing close to having to implement one or another form of server-room style cooling back there :rolleyes:

swivel
10-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Meh, it can't make the explosion of wires behind my entertainment stand any worse.

I may be drawing close to having to implement one or another form of server-room style cooling back there :rolleyes:

Meh, bop. Omm Boppity Bop.

Man, have I got the solution for you. Do you perchance have a multi-story house? If so, you can do what I did. I mounted my TV into the wall on the side of the stairs leading down into the basement. All of my consoles, MCE PC, DVD, and stereo were then flush-mounted on that same wall. So when you open the closet door that uses the space below the stairs... all the back ends of my electronics are right there. I ran ethernet, power, phone, and cable all to that space. Not only does it allow me walk-in access to my equipment, you can't see a single wire from the gaming room. And there is enough space in the closet that I was able to build some cabinets and drawers, which is where I now store all of those extra wires, cables, and whatnot. Recently I ran a duct off of my HVAC right into the closet, so everything in there stays nice and frosty.

Even if you don't have a stairwell, look around your house at a place you could use the back side of a closet. Don't be shy about tearing that drywall out and framing around a TV. Everything can be repaired. :)

Beh, bop, oomp!

Smiley7853
10-20-2005, 02:52 PM
^^^pretty good...kinda like it, but I only have a 1 story house. Maybe I could just.... uhhhhh............ scissors and duct tape??

m4oH
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't really care. It will all fit behind my little corner set.

SwiftSolution
10-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Ya right thats the Adapter....I don't think it is, but does anyone know when Mountain Dew is supposed to send the 360's to the winnners cause I won it just doesn't tell me when....

ShadedNine
10-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Meh, bop. Omm Boppity Bop.

Man, have I got the solution for you. Do you perchance have a multi-story house? If so, you can do what I did. I mounted my TV into the wall on the side of the stairs leading down into the basement. All of my consoles, MCE PC, DVD, and stereo were then flush-mounted on that same wall. So when you open the closet door that uses the space below the stairs... all the back ends of my electronics are right there. I ran ethernet, power, phone, and cable all to that space. Not only does it allow me walk-in access to my equipment, you can't see a single wire from the gaming room. And there is enough space in the closet that I was able to build some cabinets and drawers, which is where I now store all of those extra wires, cables, and whatnot. Recently I ran a duct off of my HVAC right into the closet, so everything in there stays nice and frosty.

Even if you don't have a stairwell, look around your house at a place you could use the back side of a closet. Don't be shy about tearing that drywall out and framing around a TV. Everything can be repaired. :)

Beh, bop, oomp!

Er...that doesn't work so well for me. See, I'm sitting in a corner of an 800 sq ft room in the basement. One wall is too thin to support electronics, and without enough room on it anyway, for reasons you can see here (the wall in the picture opens up just to the right of the speaker: http://members.shaw.ca/serinkd/bordered.jpg

To my left is an outside wall full of insulation followed by dirt or clay, and behind me and to the right is open space. No place to hide the stuff, so it all sits on a stand, with utter chaos in behind.

Flame Sword8
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
It's like you can't get away from the clutter.

There watching you. :watchout:

vman
10-20-2005, 09:59 PM
woah, thats bigger than me!

Reclaimer
10-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Jesus Christ people, just shove the thing behind the TV or something. Or thread the working end of the cable through the backside of your entertainment center and put the PSU box on the floor behind it.

Not that big of a deal, really. I mean, if you think of it, the 360 is pretty much running computer parts like the current Xbox is. If the 360 is so much smaller, something had to end up on the outside of the box.

Have you seen the PSU for the current Xbox? If you pull the lid and heat shield off it, the PSU is pretty big too, as it runs the length of the Xbox and is a few inches wide.
If that was external, the current Xbox would be a bit slimer in shape.

yall
10-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Calm down people...

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000150064421/

http://www.xeqtioner.net/

Whisper
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
There, everyone can return to Earth now.

SH4MR0CK
10-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Yall this is very good news now I don't have to bring it through the window to get it into my house

ll Mista GT ll
10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
There, everyone can return to Earth now.

Good call whisper!!! :) Now I can finally sleep! :watchout:

Jeeze, I was just jokin.... :cuss:

Double_Diablo
10-21-2005, 09:28 PM
The Real Xbox 360 Power Supply?

Source: Joystiq
http://360updates.qj.net/3060000000049619.jpg

Maybe we can finally put that Xbox 360 power supply issue to rest with this photographic evidence captured by Joystiq reader XeqtioneR. That’s a whole heckuva lot smaller than the monstrous brick that we were seeing earlier. Then again, this could just be the power supply for some other kiosk component, like the display. Our man notes that this was bolted to the back of the Xbox 360 kiosk. Lots more photos after the read link.

http://360updates.qj.net/3060000000050257.gif

Update:

Gino has just emailed us with the following story:

Sorry to inform you guys that the huge brick is the real power supply. I happened to walk into walmart at the right time yesterday. I found out that the rep lady and a employee of walmart were installing the samsung monitor and the new xbox 360.

I stood there and asked her questions and she opened the 360 right infront of me and let me hold it. I asked her about the power supply and she pulled it out its the same size as the first picture. That smaller power supply is the Samsung monitors suppply. I stayed from 830 central till around 930 to see it all go in.

Another thing id like to say is that when she opened the 360 and handed it to me..It was supposed to be the "Premium" yet she had no crome detailing in the disc tray...but when i came back from the restroom she had put it on..I dont know if this "crome" lip is just sum you can take on and off but id like to clear out that i witnised the whole process and that the biggest power supply is the real one -_-

I hope this helps , all i got to say is that the system looks great its not as heavy and ..ugly as the old box..so hopes this helps sorry to have brought bad news.

Gino

^From 360updates.qj.net
--------------------------------------------------
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but it looks like we're getting a brick-powered Xbox 360 afterall. Now how am I going to bring that huge thing home...?

Jackyboy
10-22-2005, 09:55 PM
:crying: :cry: :crying: :cry:

Ford Mustang
10-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah seriously who cares...? As long as the wire is long enough to hide it it doesn't matter...It's not like it's going to take up the whole room.