PDA

View Full Version : 10/100 Ethernet? What does that mean

Sword
08-06-2001, 11:43 PM
Since it says 10/100 Ethernet does that mean that only 10% of the Xboxs will have the Ethernet with it?

Aaron
08-07-2001, 12:29 AM
lmao no no no... 10/100 isnt a fraction, its a computer term meaning 10mbit/100mbit, just a type of card in it. To put it simply, "The xbox will have a broadband modem"

Door69
08-07-2001, 01:19 AM
when is the modem coming out for the 56k connection

PhantomAphex
08-07-2001, 01:23 AM
The X-Box isnt going to have a modem..... just the ethernet port. You'll still have to use your existing DSL or Cable modem, but you'll just be able to plug the ethernet cord (which I believe has to be a CAT-5 cord) into the thing.

10/100 is exactly what our friend said..... a term for the bitrate transfer supported by the ethernet port (or an ethernet card in most computers). 10/100 and 10 Base-T are two common types of ethernet ports.

Sword
08-07-2001, 11:30 AM
Ok thanx.

So can you just plug the Ethernet into the phone jack into the wall? Does it depend what kinda internet service you have to do Broadband thing? Andn how do you know you get the right person you want to play wiht since thye say if your friend is in like Californa and your in Bosten how do you know your hooked up with them? Or is there a special way to do that?

Craiz
08-07-2001, 12:39 PM
You will have to have some sort of broadband service, like DSL or cable. With those you get a modem. You can plug this modem directly into the XBox, or you can have the modem, your PC and your xbox all plugged into a hub. Here's a simple picture to show how it could be plugged together.

xboxlover
08-07-2001, 01:09 PM
Thats a bit complicated can't u just stick the wire into the wall.Isn't broadband about 50 times faster than an odinary connection something and why.

Craiz
08-07-2001, 03:10 PM
it doesn't have to be as complicated as in my diagram, but this seems to me to be a typical scenario. Most people have PCs and I can't imagine why they would get broadband service and not connect their computer too it. If all you have is an XBox, you can do away with the hub and just connect the XBox into the DSL or Cable modem.

There may be additional "stuff" involved to make it work. The problem is that each broadband service provider can have their system configured differently. Generally this is easy to deal with for a PC because you just set the network settings accordingly. The XBox must have some sort of network configuration menu that will allow you to setup how it connects. I'm sure MS will make it as easy as possible.