PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 playable at Wal-mart

StudioAlex
10-19-2005, 01:43 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000753064065/

A reader in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin wrote to tell us that his local Wal-Mart has a playable Xbox 360 on display with demos of Call of Duty 2, Kameo, and King Kong. There are also looping videos of other games. We called that Wal-Mart to confirm and were told by the person working in electronics that this is in fact true. According to him, “Wal-Marts are going to be the first stores to have Xbox 360s.” He said that a Microsoft representative came by and just decided to set up an Xbox 360 in Sun Prairie. Go figger.

The Philadelphia, PA store does NOT have an Xbox 360 yet. Does your local Wal-Mart have playable Xbox 360s? To find out:

Go to walmart.com
Enter your zipcode in the “Store Finder” on the bottom of the left-most column
Call the number listed, and ask to be transferred to electronics
Ask!
Post an update here and let us know.
Confirmed at:

Naugatuck, CT
Ames, IA
Dubuque, IA
DeKalb, IL
Kendallville, IN
Terre Haute, IN
Ypsilanti, MI
Fridley, MN
St. Anthony, MN
Lincoln, NE
Phillipsburg, NJ
Sun Prairie, WI

Xbox Masta 4
10-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Ankeny, IA - Walmart (was going to go to Target, but ehh)

Confirm it!

If I may add to this I will.

The first thing I noticed when I got there was that it wasn't empty. However, there were like 4 guys standing around while one played/watch video(controlled). Funny thing is that it wasn't young age kids, one might of been 18, but others had to be atleast 25. Not that this matters but maybe this is just more of a system aimed for older people (more hype to it).

The system there was white, but I liked the design of the system and controller. I could list some of the games that were in the demo but I didn't look through it all to remember since I just looked at the icons for those that were playable. I really liked the xbox Icon that was in the controller, really neat idea. Also yeah I like duke controllers, but I also liked my wireless controller for xbox. This controller isn't huge, but it really does feel comfortable playing with it.

I looked at the PGR3 video, I heard the cars were a bit bad from Lynx. I think they improved it a bit, didn't look at the video long enough however. Just saw that the background looks pretty good as well. Cars looked pretty good for as long as I looked at it (not too long).

I did happen to play Call of Duty 2. Graphics weren't too bad on it. I played it until I died since I didnt know a man that was watching me play (everyone else left before it was my turn to play), he left looked at games. I died and looked around and the guy was just chatting for a sec with me, but I just thought I'd give him a try at it. I seriously could of played the game for long period of time.

I never played the first Call of Duty, but I seemed to like the game play. Guns move around like real life almost, and you can have various numbers of guns/gernades, smoke bombs etc.

If you get a chance to go to Wal-mart, go. There are way more videos than games you can actually play but I wish I would of stayed to watch some more videos.

F1Ox
10-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Cool. The wal-mart in Phillipsburg, NJ is on my way back from work.NIce

Xbox Masta 4
10-19-2005, 07:34 PM
F10x,

It's confirmed so have fun. However, if you live in another city I would recommend trying there as well so others can know about it. You don't have to though.

RUB MY LEMON
10-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Dubuque, IA
oh yeah, im goin on the weekend!

Whisper
10-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Scarborough, ON has one at the Morningside Wal-Mart.

Ninjermy
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Thats insane. Pretty soon they will get jacked I bet.

Stossy
10-20-2005, 10:11 PM
I wish I was the first store to have the XBOX 360...now im sad

LiquidX
10-21-2005, 11:20 PM
My Wal-Mart in Huber Heights, OH has it.

I was severely unimpressed. Call of Duty 2 was disappointing graphically. There were jaggies all over, it was like anti-aliasing wasn't even enabled. The explosions looked horrible. King Kong suffered from a case of the jaggies but I still feel it looked better than CoD2.

The controller feels nice though... I guess that's a plus, but playing it has killed the hype I have for the system. That Xbox 1.5 comment may have been spot on. I'm waiting for a price drop.

l Maximus l
10-22-2005, 02:19 AM
There's a Walmart near me, so, I'll have to check it out. I'm not planning on buying it on launch day...though, that could change based on my experience at the kiosk.

TheCovenant
10-22-2005, 04:05 AM
too late to call now, ill call in the morning time.

BoogerBoy
10-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Well my Walmart is retarded, I called and asked if they have it playable, the guy in electronics said yeah we'll have them playable November 22nd. :watchout:

Whisper
10-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Haha what a fool. Everyone will have it playable November 22nd.

Except me, who will get it 2 days early thanks to an arrangement :)

ll Mista GT ll
10-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Haha what a fool. Everyone will have it playable November 22nd.

Except me, who will get it 2 days early thanks to an arrangement :)

You lucky bastard! :p

TheCovenant
10-22-2005, 03:59 PM
just called my xbox. Some hillbilly hick answered and asked what i wanted, which is damn rude, but whatever.

I asked if they had a playable version of the xbox 360, he said no, and i asked when they might have one in, because supposedly wal mart is getting early versions, he said "I nevah heard of no xbox 360'fore navembeh."

I said "okay thank you" and he hung up on me.

I hate wal mart.

ll Mista GT ll
10-22-2005, 05:13 PM
just called my xbox. Some hillbilly hick answered and asked what i wanted, which is damn rude, but whatever.

I asked if they had a playable version of the xbox 360, he said no, and i asked when they might have one in, because supposedly wal mart is getting early versions, he said "I nevah heard of no xbox 360'fore navembeh."

I said "okay thank you" and he hung up on me.

I hate wal mart.

aHAHAHAHAHA! That, I imagine, was pretty funny though :D

pitt4ever
10-29-2005, 05:31 PM
I played CoD 2 at my Wal-Mart. Some jagged edges, but it looked great, and the AI was pretty smart. If you have a chance to play it, by all means!

greg756
10-29-2005, 06:20 PM
there is one at the ferry farm walmart in fredericksburg va, the call of duty demo was ok though very smooth considering the chaos onscreen the textures didnt seem that much better than whats on doom3 or far cry on xb....also tried kameo the best of the demos on it....it looks great and ran very well...played good too...considering its on a hd monitor or tv...pretty cool but i want to see and play oblivion and condemned
also note...there is a memory card port for some kind of downloadable goodies...of which im not sure...keeps looking

pitt4ever
10-29-2005, 07:28 PM
there is one at the ferry farm walmart in fredericksburg va, the call of duty demo was ok though very smooth considering the chaos onscreen the textures didnt seem that much better than whats on doom3 or far cry on xb....also tried kameo the best of the demos on it....it looks great and ran very well...played good too...considering its on a hd monitor or tv...pretty cool but i want to see and play oblivion and condemned
also note...there is a memory card port for some kind of downloadable goodies...of which im not sure...keeps looking

The memory card thing puzzled me too