PDA

View Full Version : What makes a game good?

Prfthtfnbyridts
08-07-2001, 12:58 AM
I'm just wondering what the members of this forum think makes a game a good game. Graphics maybe? Do you like the gameplay or the story perhaps? Does bloodier the better sound familiar? Just post whatever you think makes a game good. Whatever it is.

Door69
08-07-2001, 01:09 AM
For a 1 player game: Story
For a 2 player game: Graphics

Koopa
08-07-2001, 01:48 AM
One word: replay value.

lol...get it..one word...but its........o, never mind:rolleyes:

when I get a game I want it to LAST. I want to be playing it years after I bought it...and the best way to get replay value is multiplayer! Of course there are some exceptions to the rule like some exceptional RPGs, but if I were in charge I'd give EVERY game multiplayer...somehow..or I'd try ....or something:D

ThomasHun
08-07-2001, 07:34 AM
Games like Goldeneye and THQ wrestling games. Those games never got tired so mass multiplayer always is fun.

http://www.cobain.com/images/kurt9.jpg

thedrisc
08-07-2001, 10:04 AM
I like the sounds of the RPG's Morrowind and Ego. Hopefully they will live up to their promises. They both promise great character development.

StrikerObi
08-11-2001, 07:23 PM
What makes a game good is gameplay. If the game itself isn't fun to play, then it sucks. It can be the prettiest game in the world, but if it's no fun to play, then all those graphics are pointless and wasted on an awful gameplay experience. Granted, graphics are important, but a game doesn't have to look fantastic to be fantastic. A good example is Chu Chu Roc et on the Dreamcast. The graphics are nothing special (especially for the Dreamcast) but the game is addictive as anything because of it's awesome gameplay. Another good example would be Tetris, for the same reason. I've always believed this, "Graphics cannot make a game, but they certainly can break it."

Another important thing to consider is replay value. A game can have a totally fantastic gameplay experience but if it's too short then it's no good. A good example of this is Cannon Spike (also on the Dreamcast). The game is a fantastic arcade shooter, but is beatable in about 15 minutes. That pretty much ruined that game for me. There are games that have short playing times that are still great though. The prime example of this is Crazy Taxi. Sure, each gameplay is short lasting between 50 seconds and probably and hour at the most if you're REALLY good. But, you just can't stop coming back for more. The game is designed to have a short playtime, but also designed so that you always have fun when you play it. In otherwords, it's addictive.

If a game is multi-player oriented, the multi-player gameplay is most important.

But the bottom line is, if you're not having fun when you play the game, then all the graphics/sound/replay value in the world don't matter AT ALL.

xboxlover
08-12-2001, 12:13 PM
I think what makes a good game is an excellent storyline, graphics, gameplay, and lastability.A good story line inspires u to press on.If a game has good graphics it'll seen more lifelike and make u want to complete it.Gameplay because if a games impossible to play then how do u experience it.Lastability cause u want ure moneys worth and of course a good ending I loved the ending to pso very heart felt.

mordrek
08-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Gameplay is always the bigest factor if the games no fun fun then why play it, but a great story to go along with that gameplay sure helps out alot, graphics are a concern but I wont pass a game by just because of poor graphics but good graphics do help, control is a major issue cheap deaths and a lack of fluid movement dont help make a game fun at all, the theme of a game is important to me too being older the cutesy little platform games are a waste of time in my eyes but then you could say that i just went back on the first thing i said was important and that was gameplay just because a game is cutesy looking does not mean it wont have good gameplay but that kinda look does not appeal to me but when it really comes down to it the overall package is the most important to me because each thing matters in its own way every aspect so the game has to be good as a whole not just for one merit alone!

Manny
08-13-2001, 11:17 AM
Gameplay, absolutely. If the gameplay sucks, the whole game is pointless and won't be played unless you're some sort of weirdo playing a game because it looks pretty, you should go watch 3D Mark instead.

After gameplay, there's the storyline. Perhaps this is only at games such as Baldur's Gate, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc, but really, I doubt I would've completed Zelda (every Zelda, for that) if the story behind it wouldn't've grabbed me.

At the third place, there's the lastability. What good is a game when it's completed in 3 hours (Half-Life: Blueshift, anyone?)? Lastability's a big factor.

And, at the fourth place, there's the visual or audio experience. If the graphics and sound aren't good, well, not all is lost, but it's a factor. Still, I'm still enjoying Stunts, a game of 1991. It sucks at graphics and sound, but it has a lastability...

xboxlover
08-15-2001, 12:46 PM
I have to add something to my list due to over playing of pso, online play of course there is nothing better than online play it is the way to the future it is ace.

dances with broom sticks
08-15-2001, 01:22 PM
it really depends on what GENRE of game it is... but overall i would say...

1/ CONTROL- if the game is bad to control, no amount of graphics, gameplay, sound, online play can make it good

2/GAMEPLAY- how the game is played... ex.. rpg- magic types, weapons, experience fighting- combos, finishing moves, etc...

3/MULTIPLAYER- not essential for all games but essential for some ex... fighting, sports, party. multiplayer ALWAYS makes a game better no matter what genre!

4/graphics- though not as important, can seriously deter or convince someone to play the game... (it is kinda like the back of the movie, or the cover of a book. as the example goes though... dont judge a book by its cover. well its the same here... dont judge a game on its graphics)

5-story, sound, music, loading times- i think these are all smaller things that dont impact the game quite as much but still do defiently impact it. if a game is good all around u can usually look past a bad story... sound and music u dont always listen to (some turn on cd player instead) so they r minor, and loading times can often deter me from continuing gameplay unless it is a really god or different game.