PDA

View Full Version : First Gen Xbox 360 Titles "All Single Threaded

Nato King
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Just read that's all. Just read.

Written by fiXXXer
Thursday, 27 October 2005
Sources from The Inquirer who attended a conference on multithreaded programming, state that Microsoft has dropped one mother of a bombshell. All first generation Xbox 360 games will be single threaded, and will not take advantage of the consoles two other cores.

Many if not all first generation titles on a new console are graphically and technologically inferior than later gen titles that are released well after the launch of a console. The main reason for this, developers have more time to explore and utilize the console architecture to its maximum potential. Thankfully the Xbox 360 has a nice head start on the Nintendo revolution and Playstation 3 consoles. This should give 360 developers the required time needed to start using the 360 console to its full capacity before rival systems hit the market. And with the recent news of PS3 developers not being impressed with the dev tools available, one can only hope Sony will have a harder time getting games up to par with the 360.

swivel
10-27-2005, 09:11 PM
"one can only hope Sony will have a harder time getting games up to par with the 360."

I'm sorry. Why should we hope this? Did someone win a cookie when Sega bombed out of the hardware department? Did the lack of choices help us gamers? Will the world be a better place if Microsoft "wins" the console war and puts Sony and Nintendo out of business?

I just don't get this mentality... and I see it every day within these very forums. The only group that would be served by this is MS. Not us. Imagine a console every 10 years because there is no competition. Imagine game prices skyrocketing because there is no competition. Imagine the progress of hardware languishing because there is no competition.

You guys pulling for some monopolistic hegemony to prevail are out of your minds. MS, Sony and Nintendo... whoever you are pulling for, have you brainwashed.

Ghost
10-27-2005, 09:19 PM
"one can only hope Sony will have a harder time getting games up to par with the 360."

I'm sorry. Why should we hope this? Did someone win a cookie when Sega bombed out of the hardware department? Did the lack of choices help us gamers? Will the world be a better place if Microsoft "wins" the console war and puts Sony and Nintendo out of business?

I just don't get this mentality... and I see it every day within these very forums. The only group that would be served by this is MS. Not us. Imagine a console every 10 years because there is no competition. Imagine game prices skyrocketing because there is no competition. Imagine the progress of hardware languishing because there is no competition.

You guys pulling for some monopolistic hegemony to prevail are out of your minds. MS, Sony and Nintendo... whoever you are pulling for, have you brainwashed.

Nicely put.

Mwright
10-27-2005, 09:25 PM
No we r not saying that we want the other systems to fail but why is it such a bad thing too want your system better..every human wants something better than the person next to them...a faster car...bigger house....hotter wife...better game system...and saying that we r brainwashed is just stupid... we r only human

Jags
10-27-2005, 10:07 PM

i have two things to say to this:
- Shut The HELL Up Fool
- Nicely Said

this topic aint about being brainwashed true we might be but I DONT CARE i came on this forum to look at some other thing about single threads NOT being brainwashed

Bakeman
10-28-2005, 01:19 AM
"Sources from The Inquirer" NUFF SAID!

I just don't wany sony to be the better system because so many people pop boners over the PS2 it isn't funny.

swivel
10-28-2005, 06:52 AM
No we r not saying that we want the other systems to fail but why is it such a bad thing too want your system better..every human wants something better than the person next to them...a faster car...bigger house....hotter wife...better game system...and saying that we r brainwashed is just stupid... we r only human

I agree.

And I apologize for derailing this fine thread. (Think of it as multi-threading. I'm just using one of the other cores!)

All I'm saying is that if you want the XBox to get better and better, then you should spur Sony and Nintendo on as well. The more consoles, the more games being made.

It's economics.

Internet Explorer didn't get an upgrade for a long time after Navigator went down. Now that Firefox is doing well, you are seeing tabbed browsers, pop-up blockers, etc. For IE fans, Firefox has been the best thing ever.

On topic... I'm excited about this news. It means lots of room for improvement. Sadly, though, it falls right in with other threads I have posted in regarding the difficulty encountered when programming for the 360. We really don't need this architecture for gaming. Unless you want to defrag your HD, or run a virus scan in the background. What these systems needed was an AMD FX-57. That chip would have lasted 5 years, easily, without the OS overhead to worry about.

But I've ranted about both of these topics enough elsewhere. Apologies again. Back to single-threading.

Jags
10-28-2005, 06:13 PM
What these systems needed was an AMD FX-57. That chip would have lasted 5 years, easily, without the OS overhead to worry about.

But I've ranted about both of these topics enough elsewhere. Apologies again. Back to single-threading.

lol kk but dude wat the HELL did u just say :confused:

Jags
10-28-2005, 06:16 PM
"Sources from The Inquirer" NUFF SAID!

I just don't wany sony to be the better system because so many people pop boners over the PS2 it isn't funny.

hell noooooo man
PS2 is crap compared to the xbox PS2 hd better games thats y i got it and not the xbox
but lets face it PS3 IS 2 times as fast with the bluetooth controllers ect
so now its the other way around xbox got the better games and PS3 got the ****ty ones BUTTTT this aint about ps3 or xbox 360 this is about single threads so i aploogise to u swivel if this pisses u off :P :hail:

swivel
10-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Piss me off? I LOVE multi-threading! Carry on, friend...

Jags
10-29-2005, 02:41 AM
lol yeh
well i do think the PS3 is better than the xbox 360 but halo 3 is too much for me man i need the 360 lol

TheCovenant
10-29-2005, 04:21 AM
wow, swivel as valid as you believe your lilttle multithreading excuse was, i'm gonna have to prop you on best unchecked aggression of the week.

This is a thread about..well, threads. Lets keep it that way fellas.

The cores use 2 threads each, im wondering if thats what they're talking about, as opposed to the cores. :huh:

Reclaimer
10-29-2005, 05:01 AM

Hey wait a minute.. you're going to quote one of our employees and news article he wrote, but not credit the site for which he works?

Dude.. that's cheap.

Duke
10-29-2005, 05:34 AM

Provide source that's all. Just provide the source of other people's articles.

StudioAlex
10-29-2005, 10:11 AM
You XO boys get upset over everything.

ShadedNine
10-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Running a single-threaded application on a 3 core cpu does not imply that 2/3 of the CPU is sitting idle the whole time. It simply means that each core is not receiving a seperate set of instructions. In this situation, the system itself will do it's best to split the work between the 3 cores. It's less than ideal, since more than half of each core's extra power is wasted making sure there's no memory conflicts and all that jazz, but it's the way dual cpu systems have been running since their conception.

The trick to making use of 3 cores in a game actually comes down to Microsoft, and the late release of the dev kit for the 360 meant that developers only had time to move their existing programs over and make them work, not develop on a new system from scratch. With the dev kit out now, and Microsoft leading the way with instructions, seminars, and the MSDN, developers won't take long to catch on how to make use of 3 core systems for gaming.

As for the PS3 failing...I'd only want to see that happen if a company I liked better than Sony was ready to step up to the plate :p . Though I wouldn't mind seeing it failing just enough for the Gran Tourismo series to jump ship ;)

swivel
10-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah, Gran Turismo is so wonderful. They haven't even done damage modeling yet. So you can pinball drive around the track up against the rails.

Enthusia Racing was much better on PS2 this year. And PGR blows it away. But if you really want a driving simulator, look no further than GTR Racing on the PC.

I used to be a GT fan, but the last two iterations have been jokes.

Also... if a game is not written for multiple cores, then yes, there will be much of the CPU sitting idle. That's exactly what is going on in your multi-core desktop CPU. Even HT'd CPU's.

Reclaimer
10-29-2005, 09:40 PM
You XO boys get upset over everything.

I'm not upset or even looking for advertisment. I'm just saying that if you quote someone, make sure you post the source.

I mean, we all know the guy who wrote it, give him the credit he deserves.

Jags
10-29-2005, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=swivel]Yeah, Gran Turismo is so wonderful. They haven't even done damage modeling yet. So you can pinball drive around the track up against the rails.QUOTE]

so true its not even funny
escodo peaks 1087 hp
10 grand everytime u go around the track gets boring after a while

Whisper
10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
If this is true, it pisses me off. MS should have sent out their development kits sooner so they could make games using full power for launch. There has to be a game at launch that pushes the limits… I mean.. their should be… but I can see why they wouldn’t necessarily want their to be.

If the best game possible comes out at launch, then we have nothing to look forward to. I’m so conflicted. Just give me good games.

swivel
10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Something to think about: When games are rushed for a holiday release, it usually spells trouble. What happens when an entire console is rushed for a holiday release?