PDA

View Full Version : Sony has Shadow of Colossus, Big N always had Zelda, where's our adventure series?

mrmp3
10-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Simple concept, get a pretty cool hero who makes heroic groans while fighting, give him a minimum of a sword, a horse, and a bow an arrow, and everything else will fall into place.

After playing Shadow of Colossus, despite ICO's lack of success (consequently due to lack of exposure), Sony has an adventure series on their hands. SoC's concept is pretty straight forward, vast landscapes, no enemies, just bosses. What's that, a game with just bosses? That cannot POSSIBLY be fun. First off for whatever reason, be it there are no characters models other than the Colossi , your hero, and his horse, the immensity of the landscapes and the bosses is remarkable on top of the great detail put into each one. To be honest seeing your hero underneath one of these massive creatures winding up an attack be it a footstomp or hammer smash and just watching the ground breaking is quite simply a rush knowing how close your character's life is from ending. The difficulty of some of the bosses is truely tough and the controls, since they aren't that remarkably tight, you can't help but feel at the mercy of the Colossi as they fling you around. I think there's 15 colossi (a hidden one too if I'm not mistaken) and it took me and my friend alternating about 10 hours to beat the game.

Zelda pretty much speaks for itself. Difference between that an ICO though is there's a lot of backstory and you'll see plenty of gamertags with reference to not only Link but obviously Hyrule in some shape or form, Gannondorf, etc.

Halo also has that effect as well and with the novels, has even more backstory than Zelda and you'll see plenty of gamertag references to Spartans, Commander Keyes, obviously the chief, guilty spark, cortana, the arbiter, etc.

I think the 360 needs another icon in another genre besides the FPS genre. As much as I love Halo, and how much fun and time I spent playing Halo 1 with XBConnect, LAN parties, crazy game types, and still play Halo 2 on XBL with my friends, it just seems like the xbox with all it's power would be perfect for this kind of game. You could either make a better looking game then the other consoles or you could make it on par with the other systems and have a rock solid framerate (which SoC most def. doesn't have).

It's just some people get turned on to the system by either a franchise or a character. They see Solid Snake and your like "wow that guy looks badass, hey the game looks pretty sick too, I gotta buy that system" or they see Cloud v. Sephiroth and see their enormous swords "wow that looks cool, I gotta give that game a try". I'm not saying the Halo series DOESN'T do that, I mean after all, his names fairly basic, Master Chief, but because of character design and awesome voice acting you get those "0o0o's" and "Ahhhh's" from people, but then you mention it's an FPS and all you get is "Oh, those games are too tough, I can never get them" and steer'em away. I'm just saying Xbox NEEDS another exclusive face to go alongside the chief in a different genre. Unless something is in the works I don't know about.

pitt4ever
10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Hopefully it'll be Kameo

Shadow20002
10-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Kameo WILL be the one to own them all.

LeoBreaker
10-30-2005, 10:43 AM
am i the only one that is turned off by kameo? i mean look at what happened to it before..

TheCovenant
10-30-2005, 02:43 PM
am i the only one that is turned off by kameo? i mean look at what happened to it before..

oh, you mean nothing? The game never came out, so nothing happened ot it...

sony doesn not "have" shadow of the collosus(sp?), its a new property and has so many visual bugs that its nauseating. If sony "has" anything, i would say it God of War.

Lets see, a sword weilding hero who takes on the masses on some sort of vehicle...that sounds familiar but i cant put my finger on it...

http://xbox.advancedmn.com/images/media/halo24.jpg

Jackyboy
10-30-2005, 03:15 PM
sony has jak and ratchet