PDA

View Full Version : What's up with un-informed gamers?

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 12:14 PM
There are far more half-assed gamers than there are hardcore gamers. I don't have any statistics, but, from what I have seen, many people that come into the electronics store that I work part-time at don't even know all the options on the gaming console they own.

I mean, just last night a dude came in looking at XBox games and didn't even know that he had a hard-drive on his XBox! Yeah!!! No joke! The dude said that he is not a "computer techy" and didn't know what the hard-drive was for...he figured it was just some electronic device that operated the XBox! I wonder what the inside of his head looks like! :eek: Probably not much there :rolleyes:

But, anyway...after I explained it, he just about bolted out of the store to get home and check out all of the things that I mentioned, including ripping your own music to Amped and PGR (two games that he owned and loved...but, didn't know about the music option).

I used this example to illustrate that there are a lot of uninformed gamers out there and I usually reference them as half-assed gamers. It's hard to imagine this unless you work at an electronics store. I can safely say that 9 out of 10 gamers that come in have no idea what the XBox is capable of....and even what the competition can do! It's crazy to even think of this as being possible especially since there are so many HUGE gamers on this site!

Your thoughts?

RudedogX
02-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Since I don't work at an electronics store, I can't say anyone is an uninformed gamer (not knowing what the system does), but I can say that everytime I tell someone that I have an XBox, all my friends ask what it's like, is it worth it, b/c they're thinking about getting a system and they don't know which one to get. I pretty much always give the lowdown about the capabilities and the harddrive...it's only those (uninformed) friends that have PS2s and don't understand that money shouldn't be wasted on add-ons when they could have had everything that they're going to have to add on for the same price as they originally paid. For some reason, some people just will not accept when they are wrong, but oh well...they'll learn:D

Bundy
02-20-2002, 12:28 PM
I know they are out there. My experiences tend to be more with the help at the electronic stores. Some EB and Best Buy employees are just clueless. It is really sad that they are the ones helping the half-assed gamers decided what to buy.

Azimiza-XBA
02-20-2002, 12:32 PM
****, what a dumbass. Even I knew the Xbox had a hard drive! Wanna hear something more absurd? I work at Wal-Mart, and someone came in telling people that the GameCube is smaller than a Xbox because you can use it as a laptop. And dude, let me tell you, the guy was serious. There was no look on his face that said he was trying to be funny or a minor annoyance. I wish my manager would give me the authority to throw people out...

BDHES
02-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Hey Maximus,
I think it all boils down to people wanting instant gratification. Most people don't take the time to do the research on things before they buy them, and then just use the parts that they get comfortable with. That's one of the reasons I surf this site all the time...to remain as well informed as possible. (not to mention the fact that I love to laugh at some of the spelling in the posts) :eek:
Anyway...I learn a lot here even if I don't post a whole lot and I lurk quite often..LOL
Adios one and all,
BDHES

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Azimiza-XBA
****, what a dumbass. Even I knew the Xbox had a hard drive! Wanna hear something more absurd? I work at Wal-Mart, and someone came in telling people that the GameCube is smaller than a Xbox because you can use it as a laptop. And dude, let me tell you, the guy was serious. There was no look on his face that said he was trying to be funny or a minor annoyance. I wish my manager would give me the authority to throw people out...

hehehe :D Dude, that's hilarious! A Laptop? Man, do they even make square purple laptops with an eazy bake oven handle on them? hehe... :D

That's definately one that I haven't heard before!

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by BDHES
Hey Maximus,
I think it all boils down to people wanting instant gratification. Most people don't take the time to do the research on things before they buy them, and then just use the parts that they get comfortable with. That's one of the reasons I surf this site all the time...to remain as well informed as possible. (not to mention the fact that I love to laugh at some of the spelling in the posts) :eek:
Anyway...I learn a lot here even if I don't post a whole lot and I lurk quite often..LOL
Adios one and all,
BDHES

You make some good points...but, that would be a prime example of what I mean by a half-assed gamer (not referring to you, of course...just the type of person you mentioned).

It's great to have you participate on the boards! :)

Oh yeah...and Bundy: Dude!!! I know what you are talking about! Man, just by walking into a Toys R' Us you can see a lot of that crap!

Man! That would completely suck to be so stupid! :D

JJaX
02-20-2002, 01:00 PM
THIS IS WHY AOL IS AMERICAS #1 ISP!

IGNORANCE IS BEAUTIFUL ISNT IT!!!

CUZ AOL MEMEBERS GET ACCESS TO HOT KEYWORDS LIKE:

NFL
YAHOO

WHEN ALL ITS DOING IS PUTTING THE URL into the built in browser! WoooW!

http://www.nfl.com
http://www.yahoo.com

BUT THEY THINK THERE EXCLUSIVE!!!!

KRIPES YOU CAN EVEN SEND E-Mail!!! **** this is awesome!

Sorry bout the caps. Im trying to make a point.

(sorry to those with AOL, Im hoping you have it for the kids)

YA STAND ME!?

Bundy
02-20-2002, 01:04 PM
It would really suck to be that stupid. On the other hand, when work is really sucky, i wonder if the stupid people are so stupid that they are happy. That feeling ususally fads quickly once I talk to them again.

BDHES
02-20-2002, 01:29 PM
Yall are killing me here..LOL..AOL is America's choice because of exactly what Maximus' is talking about. No one does the research anymore to find out what's out there. Just dial a 1-800 number and get online! To them it doesn't matter that it's the net with training wheels that don't train...
Back to uninformed gamers...I just cringe when I hear the local HS kids debating the virtues of the PS2 and XBox...I just smile and let them go without verbally abusing them too much. If ignorance is bliss...these are the happiest cats on the face of the planet...
Adios,
BDHES
:)

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 01:37 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about; Maximus. Too many folks I know got a system simply because everyone else has- and that includes everybody, even gaming store employees.

This one kid working at EB (he's got to be like 17 or something), little freckled-up nerd, walks up to me and is like, "Yo, I know you be down wit Xbox and all dat!!"

I almost slapped the kid for making such an ignorant and biased comment, but I kept my cool...

"Yo! Xbox got all dem killa Madden and Live games, only better than PS2 yo!"

"I know it has the games, but about them being better than PS2- I can't say a straight-up port is better on any console".

"What?!! Xbox got da killer graphics, yo!!"

"you mean the whole 125 raw polygons with no detail whatsoever, right?"

The freckle-face is stuttering. "Uh, yeah...yo..."

"And the HD for the streaming cache data for textures and help with onboard RAM?"

"Uh, I think so..."

"And it's called an Xbox, right?"

"Yeah, son! That's it!! The illin' Xbox be the bomb yo!!!"

I look at the kid sternly while he stares at my Timberland's like they were alien to him or something, and tell him "Yeah, I bought an Xbox 3 months ago."

Then I walk out the store. Not to my surprise, the same EB freckle-face greeted a mother and her son into the store with "Hello and good afternoon, ma'am; may I help you with anything? We have a wide selection of games for your PC or console of choice..."

At this point I slap myself on the forehead, and leave the mall with my lady friend...:mad:

This whole industry is getting out of hand if you ask me....

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Ninja Scroll
02-20-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
THIS IS WHY AOL IS AMERICAS #1 ISP!

IGNORANCE IS BEAUTIFUL ISNT IT!!!
CUZ AOL MEMEBERS GET ACCESS TO HOT KEYWORDS LIKE:
NFL
YAHOO
WHEN ALL ITS DOING IS PUTTING THE URL into the built in browser! WoooW!
http://www.nfl.com
http://www.yahoo.com
BUT THEY THINK THERE EXCLUSIVE!!!!
KRIPES YOU CAN EVEN SEND E-Mail!!! **** this is awesome!
Sorry bout the caps. Im trying to make a point.
(sorry to those with AOL, Im hoping you have it for the kids)
YA STAND ME!?

Yo jjax, you have been on some crazy sh*t ever since you transformed into the Mr. Sparkle mess:eek: !

well anyways im with you on da AOL crap. It is amazing how much ignorance there is in da tech world, but the thing that gets me is how all these people think they know what'sreally going on:rolleyes: jackasses!
AOL must die if you ask me! Im sick of hearing how better they are when they are no better than the next ISP!
I think if Microsoft continues to play their cards right they can eat up a little of AOL's massive member account numbers.

As most people know (atleast I think most) Microsoft & Time Warner AOL hate each others guts and are trying to buy everything that has ever been created in da tech world!:eek:

Bundy
02-20-2002, 01:44 PM
what in the hell makes you the offical xba ninja? Did stephen or Jermey give you this title? Or is this a self procclamation?

Ninja Scroll
02-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
I know exactly what you're talking about; Maximus. I am a fake ass wannabe Ninja!
Ninja Scroll is my hero & role model and I wannbe just like him. In fact im gonna say ima Ninja too so I can try to be as famous as my idol Ninja Jubei! I love him everyone~! :o
That's right, im fruity like that! :p

-Official Ninja "wannabe" of XboxAddict

You dont flatter me, you Ninja coat tail rider! Be original and stick with being a wack ass Shadow Fart,... I mean fox:rolleyes:

Ninja Scroll
02-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Bundy
what in the hell makes you the offical xba ninja? Did stephen or Jermey give you this title? Or is this a self procclamation?

HEY YO, Bundy... as you can see, he's riding my sack!
Someone please tell him to get off of my Ninja jock!

Bundy
02-20-2002, 01:51 PM
I think he is smokin crack..

JJaX
02-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Someone say Crack?

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Personally, I think it's pretty strange when Shadow Fox puts:

" - Offical Ninja of XBoxaddict "

I mean, it's not in his signature...he actually retypes that out every single time!

But, then again, I have a profound love for beer :D

Ninja Scroll - you know you're my dawg! Don't worry about your Ninja acknowledgement....we all know that you're the Ninja around these parts :)

JJaX
02-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

I mean, it's not in his signature...he actually retypes that out every single time!

That is stange!

Ohh MIsTA SpaRkoWL!!! WaaaHoooooooo!

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 02:28 PM

But, then again, I have a profound love for beer :D

Ninja Scroll - you know you're my dawg! Don't worry about your Ninja acknowledgement....we all know that you're the Ninja around these parts :) Maximus- it's a .php script; meaning I don't type a thing- my browser does. Anybody here take Java at all?

As for Ninja Scroll, I do believe this topic was about console misconceptions-not your misconceptions on reality- keep this out of the threads.

And for the record, look at my date of registry, then his. Now watch how he gets all upset and overreacts about it.;)

Bundy
02-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Maximus- it's a .php script; meaning I don't type a thing- my browser does. Anybody here take Java at all?

As for Ninja Scroll, I do believe this topic was about console misconceptions-not your misconceptions on reality- keep this out of the threads.

And for the record, look at my date of registry, then his. Now watch how he gets all upset and overreacts about it.;)

ok but you never answered my question on how you got the offical title.

JJaX
02-20-2002, 02:31 PM
BlaH At Using Java Scripts......

just use the dayum Signature nature boy.

:cool: Kripes im Bored

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Bundy

ok but you never answered my question on how you got the offical title. Didn't I answer this in some other thread before?

Anyway, I've had this subscript for many boards before this one existed, and I've been switching them up randomly since I got here (-Official Ninja of GameTavern, -Official Ninja of NDose, Official Ninja of XBA/NDose, etc.)

Recently I changed all the names to correspond to the sites I visit, so they all have the same thing. So for XBA I took out the acronym, got rid of the NDose, and left "-Official Ninja of XboxAddict".

This goes way beyond the announcement of the Xbox, and is actually a joke from way back then, along with my sig about Windows ME. Only a few select people will understand this. If Manasecret, Xantar, HeyyouDVD, or Koopa are around, they might be able to tell you.;)

batman46st
02-20-2002, 03:57 PM
I am kind of used to seeing ninja scroll with that shadow fox it was kind of weird seeing his... anyways about half ass gamers and the clirks they buy stuff from (that sounded like a jerry springer topic) like i said a few months ago i went to KB to buy the dvd controler lol i said to the clirk "dude let me get te xbx DVD controler" dude brings me back the god **** xbox video game controler!. Lmao then in ToysRus some dude asked what Halo was about MAX you'll like this one. The clirk said Halo is basicly another fps who if u defeat the droids (he didnt even call them covinant) you will then be crowned with the halo powers and will be the supreme master of the universe.( i steped in though, his excuse was he owned a ps2 and didnt know much about xbox games thanks for helping was my reply).My only problem is just read the back of the game it'll tell you wat is about...:rolleyes:

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by batman46st
I am kind of used to seeing ninja scroll with that shadow fox it was kind of weird seeing his... anyways about half ass gamers and the clirks they buy stuff from (that sounded like a jerry springer topic) like i said a few months ago i went to KB to buy the dvd controler lol i said to the clirk "dude let me get te xbx DVD controler" dude brings me back the god **** xbox video game controler!. Lmao then in ToysRus some dude asked what Halo was about MAX you'll like this one. The clirk said Halo is basicly another fps who if u defeat the droids (he didnt even call them covinant) you will then be crowned with the halo powers and will be the supreme master of the universe.( i steped in though, his excuse was he owned a ps2 and didnt know much about xbox games thanks for helping was my reply).My only problem is just read the back of the game it'll tell you wat is about...:rolleyes:

Eventhough you write with everything scrunched together, some how I figured out what you said! And, dude! That idiot over at KB is a prime example of a half-assed gamer....but, I give him a "B" for his efforts as a sale dude. Atleast he picked up and read the back of the greatest game ever created :D That's why I give him the high score :D

I just find it remarkable how there are so many clueless ding dongs out there that have no idea about gaming consoles. I mean...I would understand that there would be some clueless parents or something that only buy systems for their kids...but, the actual self proclaimed "gamer"? Man, I'm only surprised because when I first heard about the XBox about 2 years ago, all I did was research the crap out of it to see what it was all about! And, man!! I'm so happy with mine! :D

batman46st
02-20-2002, 04:07 PM

Eventhough you write with everything scrunched together, some how I figured out what you said! And, dude! That idiot over at KB is a prime example of a half-assed gamer....but, I give him a "B" for his efforts as a sale dude. Atleast he picked up and read the back of the greatest game ever created :D That's why I give him the high score :D

I just find it remarkable how there are so many clueless ding dongs out there that have no idea about gaming consoles. I mean...I would understand that there would be some clueless parents or something that only buy systems for their kids...but, the actual self proclaimed "gamer"? Man, I'm only surprised because when I first heard about the XBox about 2 years ago, all I did was research the crap out of it to see what it was all about! And, man!! I'm so happy with mine! :D

LMAO my writing it is not so well in country of usa<~just joking there i dont speak how i type. I'm too much of a rush typer.
Hey max thanks for the info on halo dude.....:)

l Maximus l
02-20-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by batman46st

LMAO my writing it is not so well in country of usa<~just joking there i dont speak how i type. I'm too much of a rush typer.
Hey max thanks for the info on halo dude.....:)

No sweat, buddy! If you need further help you know where to go! :)

manboy
02-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Ninja (http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~rahjr79/ninja.htm)

Shadow Fox
02-20-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by manboy
Ninja (http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~rahjr79/ninja.htm) So that's what the guys were talking about over at AGB regarding ninjas "flipping out and killing ish"...Horrible site, but very nice jokes!!! (they ARE jokes, right?)

Shadow Fox- n. rogue ninji of the Shaywern Peninsula, Northern Atronia, apt in the art of deception, often killing sensai.:D

Xbox
02-20-2002, 07:10 PM
Hey Max, that is hilarous. I have a neighbor,and I told him about the dreamcast (durning his hype) I am using exact quotes "Whats a dreamcast?".I had my laughs, then I figured it was just Segas poor marketing plans. Then as life went on, I told him about the X-Box and now he is a n00b gamer, who comes to me for advice. When my friends are around though he says he told me about the xbox. Anways, to all you neighbors out there like my friend. I got one word for ya!
DDDDDDDUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR

Xboxfan123
02-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Didn't I answer this in some other thread before?

Anyway, I've had this subscript for many boards before this one existed, and I've been switching them up randomly since I got here (-Official Ninja of GameTavern, -Official Ninja of NDose, Official Ninja of XBA/NDose, etc.)

Recently I changed all the names to correspond to the sites I visit, so they all have the same thing. So for XBA I took out the acronym, got rid of the NDose, and left "-Official Ninja of XboxAddict".

This goes way beyond the announcement of the Xbox, and is actually a joke from way back then, along with my sig about Windows ME. Only a few select people will understand this. If Manasecret, Xantar, HeyyouDVD, or Koopa are around, they might be able to tell you.;)

Only a few "select" people? Only a few "select" people.

Xboxfan123 is angered and froths all over keyboard. Puts on his thick glasses (with tape on the earpiece) to find the froth on his desk and knocks over all his 8 track tapes...realizes what has just transpired and puts a Barry Manilow LP on to calm down. Realizes maybe there ARE select people in this world.:mad: