PDA

View Full Version : XBox2 will never use HD-DVD for games.

swivel
11-01-2005, 04:37 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_blog_entries.php?board_id=909119209

While there may be a future HD-DVD upgrade for watching movies. XBox2 president says that it will be sticking to DVD9 for games for the duration of the XBox2 lifespan.

Either devs. will be truncating games to make them fit, which means a shorter game. Or welcome to a new age of disc swapping.

Jags
11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
i dont get wat u siad but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

ll Mista GT ll
11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
i dont get wat u siad but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

If you don't. then don't pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost in the thread :)

Well, if they could manage on the Xbox, they'll be fine on the 360. Designers are getting lazy. Now that they have GBs to work with... they make file sizs HUGE. They can reduce stuf...

Shadow20002
11-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Hmm....no HD-DVD means we will have around 5 DVDs for a game in 2007.

Bakeman
11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
lol 5 dvds for a game in 2007.. I think not... 4 tops! LOL I'm kidding.. I really doubt they'll need that many dvd's... I believe it was J Allard said that most companies aren't even using compression well.. they said advancing compression is the next thing and needing 20gb's+ isn't going to be a problem. But it's all speculation of course on both ends. I'm sure these companies can get better compression, but that will only take you so far. We'll just have to wait and see.

But this isn't really news now is it.. did people actually believe they would launch a system with one type of media then later come out with a different type and make games on it.. then the people with the original systems would be SCREWED.. they wouldn't pay to upgrade the systems.. so the owners would be stuck with a pretty much useless system for new games.

LeoBreaker
11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
ehh it's none of that. i read an article awhile back saying why gates won't use either hd-dvd's or blue ray. he said seeing how technology is evolving the way it is, there is no reason in investing money in a technology that will be dead in a couple years. he goes on to mention how there will be discs that hold far more the capacity than blue ray discs hold and will be small enough to fit in your pocket. i totally agree with gates on this one, seeing how this one company came out with holographic discs that are capable of holding a few terabytes worth of space. there really is no purpose in using this technology

ll Mista GT ll
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Ding Ding Ding Ding! You are today's luck winner! Come on down to earth to recieve your prize! :rofl: :D

ShadedNine
11-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Actually, Leo is pretty much on the money. Discs holding terrabytes worth of info are still a long ways off, but there's plenty of competition for optical discs out there, including flash memory that has better read/write speeds, and doesn't require special means to "burn" data.

The reason Microsoft isn't pushing hard for a new optical format however, is that it's their belief that discs in general will become a thing of the past, and before long we'll acquire all of our content across the net, either downloaded or streamed. Bandwidth is getting cheaper faster than any form of disc ever has. That being said, of the 2 formats, Microsoft is backing HD DVD over Blu-ray, and I agree with them. The blu-ray format is built around appeasing the entertainment industry. HD DVD is at least took the consumer into consideration on a few levels.

I pray that I'll never have to own a blu-ray system, or at least not until they crack the copy protection :P

LynxFX
11-02-2005, 12:13 AM
So HD-DVD will never hold games, and funny enough, it won't have movies either. So why is Toshiba still moving forward one might ask.

Face it, Blu-ray is the winner of the next gen HD format war. When one format only has only 1 major studio exclusively behind it (and they are about to jump ship as well) while the other has all but that one behind em, which do you think will get retailers to actually stock the movies? And for once, the consumers will be getting the better format.

Now if only they work out the copy protection crap. None of it is finalized, so there is still hope, but if they want to be successful they gotta allow plug and play viewing. No internet connection required, no downrezing HD to 480p over component (like HD-DVD requires), and no termination of keys to hardware models if some teenage bloke in the Netherlands cracks it.

swivel
11-02-2005, 06:52 AM
A comment on your comments:

Talk of next-gen drives doesn't matter with this generation of consoles.

Downloadable content will never take off like Gates hopes. People want to own their stuff. And hard drives are not reliable enough for long-term storage. Sure, there will be more steamed content, but look at TIVO to see how people want their things. They want to be able to store them at home, and offload them to discs. It will be a generation or two before people get used to not holding what they own.

Compression = longer load times. Honestly... all the talk about graphics and A.I., but what I really want out of this next generation is zero load times. Start loading the map with another core while you are flashing the intro screens and title menus. Give me a video briefing while you are loading the next map.

What I see is this: The polygon count goes up for every model on screen. The texture details go up for everything. The music is 5.1. The screen resolution is quadrupled. But the size of the media is stagnant?

Imagine if every iPod came out with tons of more features, but they stayed at 5GB. For me, this is a game system above all else. Use your own proprietary format if you want. Everyone already own a DVD player!

r3lik1
11-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Downloadable content will never take off like Gates hopes. People want to own their stuff.

i disagree..... I have 84 xbox games, but only 5 on disk..... and im still happy

swivel
11-03-2005, 06:31 AM
i disagree..... I have 84 xbox games, but only 5 on disk..... and im still happy

I guess if it is free, i.e. pirated, then it doesn't really count in a market model.

Unless you are talking black market.

If you had $2,000 invested in those games, you wouldn't just have them on a modded XBox hd. Trust me.

Shibby29
11-03-2005, 08:30 AM
If you had $2,000 invested in those games, you wouldn't just have them on a modded XBox hd. Trust me.

I disagree with you. I would much rather have $2,000 in games on a hd than a disc. How many times has your roommate or child scratched your hd and made it unplayable? How many Xbox hds have gone bad compared to DVD drives. If Xbox was able to download games to your hd legally then I would still be playing. As it is now I'm waiting for the 360 before I can play again.

And by the time the hd would even get close to crashing a new console would be out and those games on it would be worthless anyway.

And think about the retail implications. Imagine renting a game without going to blockbuster. Pay 10 bucks, download it, play it for two weeks. Then do it all over again. If it were up to me I would d/l everyone of my games instead of having the disc.

r3lik1
11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I guess if it is free, i.e. pirated, then it doesn't really count in a market model.

Unless you are talking black market.

well i guess you you know everything...your the CEO of a fortune 500 company.....

common do u think i spent $2000 on games.....PLEASE....i have better things to spend my $$$ on(like hookers and booze)

I paid less that $150 for all the games i have

Whisper
11-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Now if only they work out the copy protection crap. None of it is finalized, so there is still hope, but if they want to be successful they gotta allow plug and play viewing. No internet connection required, no downrezing HD to 480p over component (like HD-DVD requires), and no termination of keys to hardware models if some teenage bloke in the Netherlands cracks it.

Someone betterr (and will) crack it. Atleast I hope so, I love building my DVD collection.

Salmonaitor
11-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok, this has turned into a modding thread, and well, we don't accept or condone modding on this site.