PDA

View Full Version : xbox disc tray problem

BGK
11-01-2005, 11:44 PM
When I hit the eject button to turn my Xbox on, the disc tray won't open unless I tap it right above the tray. But once I open it, either by tapping it or by trying to open it by pushing the button once or twice again, the eject button works fine. And the same problem repeats whenever I turn on my xbox hours after I turn it off. (If I turn off my xbox after checking it works fine, and turn it on again within a hour or so, no problem as such shows. Strange enough.) What's wrong and how can I fix it?
It's a Samsung rom and currently I'm not in warranty.

l Maximus l
11-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Typically, people who have less than 50 posts have issues with their ROM drive with their XBox...go figure!? :confused:

Reclaimer
11-02-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't know if I'm understanding you.
Is it sticking and you have to tap it to get it unstuck?
Or is nothing happening at all when you press the eject button until you tap the Xbox and then it pops out?

Have you moved the Xbox around, accidentally dropped it, kicked it, knocked it over or took it somewhere with you?

Sounds like either the IDE wire is loose inside on the DVDROM or there's something wrong with the wiring of the button.

Does the light dim on the eject button by any chance?

Finally, how old is the Xbox.

We're trying to determine if this is a hardware casualty at the drive level, wiring level or the actual button itself.

BGK
11-02-2005, 05:56 AM
First, excuse me for having to answer the way I will do below.
Let me tell you that I'm not from an English-speaking country, and my English is not good enough for elaborating what I have in mind.

I don't know if I'm understanding you.
Is it sticking and you have to tap it to get it unstuck? YES.Or is nothing happening at all when you press the eject button until you tap the Xbox and then it pops out? NO.

Have you moved the Xbox around, accidentally dropped it, kicked it, knocked it over or took it somewhere with you? NO. NEVER.

Sounds like either the IDE wire is loose inside on the DVDROM or there's something wrong with the wiring of the button. afraid too technical for me to understand

Does the light dim on the eject button by any chance? NO. Finally, how old is the Xbox. It's been only a year and 2 months since I purchased it. And I played games usually only on weekends, and not for many hours.
We're trying to determine if this is a hardware casualty at the drive level, wiring level or the actual button itself. Thank you.

ll Mista GT ll
11-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Well, Welcome to Xbox Addict :cheers:

It may actually be your DVD drive if it is not the IDE cable.. In either case, if you dont care about the warenty on your xbox, open up the 9 screws at the bottom, and check the IDE cable (grey flat wire to the left of the xbox) and just fiddle with it.) Or if all else fails, you might need a new DVD drive.. (probably better then the one you have now! :) ) THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARENTY. (also, this is as far as we can talk about this stuff here)

Good luck,
Xboxfreakkid

Duke
11-02-2005, 07:19 AM
I have the same problem BGK. Been that way pretty much since I bought this one. Other than contacting MS, I can't really think of anything to help you without voiding whatever warranty you may still have.

There may be a local shop where you live that could help you out. We have a couple here, but it's never been more than a minor annoyance for me, so I've never sought them out. Those will invalidate your warranty.

So, that's pretty much of no help to you, but I do understand the problem. Like I said, check it out locally, or just contact MS. Or just live with it like I do.

r3lik1
11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
ok well he said hes not under warranty....

but your dvd drive is going out...i had the same problem..first it didn't want to open the tray, then it started freezing during games, finally anything i put in there i got "Cannot Read Disk"

you prob. got another month or so before its DEAD

Rhiannon
11-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I have this problem. Sometimes my disc tray will not open periodicly. When this occurs I have to open the tray manually by sticking a pin into the pinhole. The pinhole is located on the front panel underneath the drive itself.

Here is a link describing what I do ...hope this helps
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;817396

FB-Gollum
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I have the same problem exactly. Unless I tap above the derive it doesn't open. It also sticks when it tries to close and I have to give it a little push. The drive does try to open and sometimes manage to open part way so I think it's a physical issue with the try not a wiring issue. There is something that is phsysically obstructing it's ability to opne and close.

BGK
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Thank you all.. All of you gave me precious information which I can't get easily where I live.. Thanks again..

Duke
11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
out of curiosity, where is that?