PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360's Black Screen of Death

LeoBreaker
11-06-2005, 12:59 PM
yeah, just like everything ms makes... it crashed too. http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFEkAEFAkTlDmtsQO.php

Nato King
11-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Like I said in another thread
However, there is very little reason to panic, as this is the only case so far, at least that I know of. There are 10 000 360s being abused 24/7 at retailers all over the US, so that one of these breaks down is not unexpected

Go420Dawgs
11-06-2005, 01:31 PM
If i were an xbox 360 stuck inside a glass exposure running 24/7 with no air circulation I might act up too. Theres no need to worry. It has already been stated that they have a problem of overheating because of the air tight places in the kiosk.

Nato King
11-06-2005, 05:12 PM
If i were an xbox 360 stuck inside a glass exposure running 24/7 with no air circulation I might act up too. Theres no need to worry. It has already been stated that they have a problem of overheating because of the air tight places in the kiosk.

See thanks Go240Dawags for the point.

ll Mista GT ll
11-06-2005, 05:15 PM

Yeah, I heard of the overheating problem, but i never knew the reson behind it, thanks! :cheers:

swivel
11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, like many people aren't going to go home and put this in their stereo rack's with the same lack of circulation.

You guys that find it impossible to have rational concerns are in for an upsetting time. It is okay to question, it doesn't mean you have quit your fanboy ways.

F1Ox
11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
However, there is very little reason to panic, as this is the only case so far, at least that I know of. There are 10 000 360s being abused 24/7 at retailers all over the US, so that one of these breaks down is not unexpected
Yeap
:bang: :bang: :bang:

swivel
11-06-2005, 05:29 PM

It isn't one breakdown. It is dozens. Half the ones in MS's lobby are down. The ones that are working are glitching and having artifacts.

I know from experience. I've been a Microsoft early adopter for a long time. Which makes me a paying beta-tester.

Why you think it is more likely for MS to get this launch right, rather than wrong, baffles me.

Shadow20002
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmmm....fear the power of Xbox 360.

Flame Sword8
11-06-2005, 06:08 PM
I just hope i got a warrenty on mine.

Jags
11-06-2005, 06:11 PM
hmmmmm yeh ima buy an extra 2 years of warranty from future shop DEFINATLY only cost 30 bucks

TheCovenant
11-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Yeah, like many people aren't going to go home and put this in their stereo rack's with the same lack of circulation.

You guys that find it impossible to have rational concerns are in for an upsetting time. It is okay to question, it doesn't mean you have quit your fanboy ways.

warranty. And a stereo rack and an air tight bubble are different. I'm seeing that you grow more and more concerned with nothing from here, not the other way around.

Xorg
11-06-2005, 09:08 PM
this happens with the xbox as well, mine will give me a message similar to it everynow and then mainly because its old, but all i have to do is restart it to fix it.

mattgame
11-06-2005, 09:19 PM

Probably the brightest thing said on this thread.

ShadedNine
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I never bought an extended warranty on my first Xbox (purchased at launch), and go figure, I've had to have the drive replaced twice.

Thankfully, with a little escalation I was able to get the repair done for free on both occasions. MS's initial launch products may not be all that reliable, but I've always found their warranty and out-of-warranty support to make up for it (with a little prodding in the right direction).

killerscott
11-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm certain that these problems are in the minority... You dont think that they have been tested over and over for these problems? I have the original xbox and I've only encountered one problem. I call it KOTOR II... I believe enough has been said.

TheCovenant
11-07-2005, 03:00 AM

Probably the brightest thing said on this thread.

which is really sad, because it's spelled "warranty".

swivel
11-07-2005, 06:13 AM
warranty. And a stereo rack and an air tight bubble are different. I'm seeing that you grow more and more concerned with nothing from here, not the other way around.

My concerns center around the procs used in this beast. Just doesn't make sense to me. I would rather see two Pentium M's in there. They are fast, cheap, and run cool with little power draw. MS is making the Intel mistake, throwing more Mhz at the problem instead of seeking elegance.

I've built hundreds of PC's in my lifetime, and thermal problems were always my number one priority. I just don't see this thing staying cool for massive gaming sessions with so many watts being burned, and not enough cooling.

Then again... I subscribe to Skeptic magazine, so perhaps it's just a case of needing to see it to believe it.

Marc
11-07-2005, 10:05 AM
It isn't one breakdown. It is dozens. Half the ones in MS's lobby are down. The ones that are working are glitching and having artifacts.

I know from experience. I've been a Microsoft early adopter for a long time. Which makes me a paying beta-tester.

Why you think it is more likely for MS to get this launch right, rather than wrong, baffles me.
Can you verify that with a link or something?

swivel
11-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Can you verify that with a link or something?

www.fukingoogleit.com

ShadedNine
11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
My concerns center around the procs used in this beast. Just doesn't make sense to me. I would rather see two Pentium M's in there. They are fast, cheap, and run cool with little power draw. MS is making the Intel mistake, throwing more Mhz at the problem instead of seeking elegance.

I've built hundreds of PC's in my lifetime, and thermal problems were always my number one priority. I just don't see this thing staying cool for massive gaming sessions with so many watts being burned, and not enough cooling.

Then again... I subscribe to Skeptic magazine, so perhaps it's just a case of needing to see it to believe it.

IBM PowerPC processors are pretty efficient themselves. Granted they never ran at the speeds the 360 is going at, but I doubt it will be significantly more than dual Pentium Ms with similar capabilities. Pentium Ms are efficient, but not quite as much so when playing games.

All in all, I'll bet there will be an overheating problem, with plenty of buzz regarding it, but it will primarily plague those who are trying to place the console in a compromising position, even though that position may have held a PS2|Xbox|etc before with no problems. Not something that bothers me. Besides, my basement is always cold (1 furnace/1 thermostat for the house = cold basement :rolleyes: )

Marc
11-09-2005, 10:50 AM
www.fukingoogleit.com
I'll take that as a nice big fat NO!

r3lik1
11-09-2005, 11:15 AM

i don't believe a word u say ^^^

i need proof......

Young_Fledgling
11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
ha. thats funny stuff. i remember when it happened at that televised thing with bill gates and the blue screen came on for some pc thing. lol. that was funny.

Marc
11-11-2005, 02:07 AM
So I guess the dude was lying after all. Ha Ha Ha...

swivel
11-11-2005, 06:43 AM
http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/xbox-360-kiosk-conundrum-132420.php

http://www.bxbox360.com/news/xbox-360-kiosk-problems/

http://digg.com/gaming/Artifacts_on_Xbox_360_Kiosk_Machines_

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/dead-dead-dead-xbox-360-kiosk-135476.php

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360/index.php

swivel
11-11-2005, 06:48 AM
IBM PowerPC processors are pretty efficient themselves. Granted they never ran at the speeds the 360 is going at, but I doubt it will be significantly more than dual Pentium Ms with similar capabilities. Pentium Ms are efficient, but not quite as much so when playing games.

All in all, I'll bet there will be an overheating problem, with plenty of buzz regarding it, but it will primarily plague those who are trying to place the console in a compromising position, even though that position may have held a PS2|Xbox|etc before with no problems. Not something that bothers me. Besides, my basement is always cold (1 furnace/1 thermostat for the house = cold basement :rolleyes: )

Sorry for the double-posting, but I went on a road trip and came back to find 4 fanboys on my back....

Shaded, it is too bad that Anandtech pulled their article on the procs in the XBox2 and the PS3. Probably due to pressure from MS and Sony. A developer working on a project for both systems gave Anandtech the low-down on the proc's and their abilities. It wasn't good.

Had I known they were going to pull the article, I would have saved it. You can google around if you want to hear a bit about the ordeal.

Both of these systems are brute-force machines. Not my style.

I did play a 360 at Best Buy for an hour or so yesterday. It looks much better than the XBox, but not as good as my current PC. With the right games, it will be a winner, but a power-sucking not-as-good-as-it-should-have-been winner.

Marc
11-11-2005, 10:05 AM
All those links are dealing with kiosk problems and are mostly propogated by PC fanboys. I've seen nothing that makes me think an xbox in my stereo cabinet will have a "black screen of death."