PDA

View Full Version : Bwahaha! I've played 360 now as well!

FB-Gollum
11-09-2005, 05:20 PM
So, I did the 45 minute drive to the nearest Best Buy (because I had an excuse to go into town, woohoo!) and there it was, in it's lustrous eggshell white case. Curvy and sexy like a woman, a sexy woman. Oh, yes, a fully functioning 360, and for whatever reson, a particularly empty best buy, leaving me to explore in it's entirety, for the nexy hour. I'm such a loser. Oh well here goes my thoughts:

Looks

Hot, just plain hot. A few middle aged women who passed by with their kids mentioned how it wouldn't be an eyesore in the living room. It's still a fairly large unit. It looked like a piece of hardware, not a toy.

Controller

Best...controller...ever. Seriously. It's a little thinner than the S overall, with the triggers mounted a little higher up. The shoulder bumpers are a godsend. That was really the only thing I liked better about the PS2 pad over the S, but no longer. It's also considerably lighter than the S which is another nice thing. The control of course, was outstanding.

Games

I played...

Call of Duty 2:

After a quick run to the men's room to clean out my drawers I returned to the best looking game I have ever seen. It was a little weird playing it, as you have to use the shoulder buttons to throw grenades. That in itself is actually awesome, now I can be a default AND boxer, rock on, however, getting used to HAVING SHOULDER BUTTONS was more the weirdness. Graphically this game rocks faces. There were a few kills (like the point blank headshot to the kraut charging me with his bayonet) that actually startled me with how disturbing it looked. The enemy AI was really good. They reacted to what you did, used cover, tried to avoid grenades and often combined these behaviours to stunning effect. The best example was when I popped out of a narrow hallway and tossed a grenade at the feet of two soldies. They had no cover available to them outside, so they did the logical thing, they chased me into the hallway I came out of. Of course, once in close quarters, he immediately tried to skewer me with his bayonet. I was backpedalling (and while moving in this brilliant game, you have no reticle to aim with, so nice) and I dropped one in his noggin sans ret. A truly satisfying feeling.

One thing this game made very obvious to me about this generation of consoles, is that it is ushering in the obsolesence of the "screenshot". The pictures I saw made me think the game looked lame. Reality is it's jaw dropping.

Kameo:

Meh. Not my kind of game. Nice textures and colours and all. I wasn't really impressed. Maybe it was the level I saw, but there just wasn't much to it. I got bored fast and moved on. Don't get me wrong, it looks 100% better than anything Xbox has to offer, just not my kind of game, I'll leave reviewing this to someone with a greater taste for platformers.

King Kong:

Man oh man. Best looking game of the bunch. It's unreal. Until you see al the effects in action you just won't understand. At one point I was eaten by a Tyrannosaur because I though it was a cutscene so I just stood there and watched. I was quite puzzled when the game suddenly reloaded me ad the same scene started again. I twitched the thumbstick and the screen moved, that's when I realised the technological leap we're really taking with this generation of consoles. All that, and it's only running 1 of the 3 cores. The game was awesome by the way. Really clever puzzle and mini quest gameplay with absolute top notch production values. Fighting the T-Rex, had lots of people stopping to watch and asking if it was a movie, a few sat slackjawed as they found out it was a game.

Final Impressions

This is going to be the most exciting generation of consoles since the original NES vs. Sega Master System. If you haven't seen it or are unsure, just relax, it's everything you've hoped for and bag of chips for good measure. There is not one thing I can think of that I prefer about the current Xbox or it's peripherals over this. Just mind blowing. I can't wait to see Halo 3.

Bakeman
11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
lol man that's funny
I to didn't realize right away that King Kong was in game, but I didn't die before realizing lol.

Don't feel bad about going to BestBuy for 1 hour lol

I went to Walmart at 1am and stayed until 3am lol I'm such a loser hahaha
I played Kameo for like 30 minutes or more, and I didn't even finish it! I either really sucked or the demo is just long. At one point I did get stuck for 5 minutes because I couldn't see the exit :( If that other dude never came by and wanted to play, I probably could have finished.

FatBox
11-09-2005, 05:51 PM
I can't wait to see the graphics for the new Splinter Cell game that they will eventually make for the 360.

SH4MR0CK
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I have also played the demo for call of duty and i was absolutly blown away i was hoping to play more demos but i had to leave because my friend was sick of watching me play and he was my ride but i just cant wait till that sustem is in my living room!

skorp
11-09-2005, 05:59 PM
At one point I was eaten by a Tyrannosaur because I though it was a cutscene so I just stood there and watched. I was quite puzzled when the game suddenly reloaded me ad the same scene started again. I twitched the thumbstick and the screen moved, that's when I realised the technological leap we're really taking with this generation of consoles.

hehehe... Awesome read man!

:cheers:

Jackyboy
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
There is not one thing I can think of that I prefer about the current Xbox or it's peripherals over this.
Dude have you seen the power cord yet??? I definatly prefer the xbox powercord over that xbox 360 one.

Go420Dawgs
11-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Yah i definately just picked up kameo muahhahahaha. They called earlier saying they just got it in so I picked my copy up.

FatBox
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Yah i definately just picked up kameo muahhahahaha. They called earlier saying they just got it in so I picked my copy up.
What is the point if the 360 isn't even out yet?

Jags
11-09-2005, 06:49 PM
gollum that was awesome u really know how to write lol felt like i was playing myself :p

Double_Diablo
11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
What is the point if the 360 isn't even out yet?
Once my two games ship I'll be caressing the boxes and reading the instruction manuals till my eyes bleed.

killerscott
11-09-2005, 07:51 PM
yes i also had to ask if it was a cut screen whilst watching people playing. Im an employee at bestbuy so i barely got to play but i did play king kong for about a minute. I played only because the person playing said to me, " hey man will you play so i can watch?". No joke at all thats what he said and that tells you how good it looks.

Go420Dawgs
11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
FatBox, no point really just thought id let ya'll know.

l Maximus l
11-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Good read, Gollum...I was bummed that PD0 wasn't available to even see a video...

I actually had a good time playing Kameo and I'm not really into platformers either...but, I used to be and I was just blown away by it...wow :)

FB-Gollum
11-10-2005, 01:03 AM
...I was bummed that PD0 wasn't available to even see a video...

Yeah I was really looking forward to PDO and PGR3. But COD showed me well enough where shooters can go.

I actually had a good time playing Kameo and I'm not really into platformers either...but, I used to be and I was just blown away by it...wow :)

For sure it was impressive.

Nato King
11-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Very nice FB-Gollum I just only wish I can play it in a store in bremuda. :( :( :(

Fanobills
11-10-2005, 12:07 PM
I could have played Call of Duty 2 at Game Stop, but someone was already on it (I don't remember if there were two controllers or not, but I was more interested in getting my X360 paid for and I wasn't going to give Gamestop any money - EB Games shows me more love, and they've got a WAY better selection of used games that save me a ton of money - especially since I've got their card).

DOG
11-10-2005, 02:29 PM
I played Call of Duty 2 at my wal*mart for 30 min

ll Mista GT ll
11-10-2005, 02:34 PM
I dont get it... there is NOTHING in canada! Leik WTF M8. I want 360! Now!

laughs
11-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Thank you for making my decison harder.... Maybe it'll be King Kong now :(

Smiley7853
11-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah dude, the kong sounded pretty intense. I was shootin for oblivion, but looks like that may not happen for a while.

Shadow20002
11-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I already got a chance to play it also. :)