PDA

View Full Version : Ok. Am I the only one???

Heavens Gate
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Me and my wife are pretty well to do. Thankfully the economy hasn't destroyed our way of living and we are both young and have great careers. Most people I know are unfortunately living from paycheck to paycheck and have alot of bills and children to support. What I want to know is where are people coming up with 6 or 700.00 for these game bundles? I live in a state where the cost of living is sky high and that's what you have to pay to live away from natural disasters and bad people. I don't know any of my friends (some still living at home rent free) who can really afford that because of their big car payments, insurance etc, etc. I have owned and stood in line at every next gen console launch and owned every system at one time or another but I think this is one launch I will miss because I have an Xbox and lots of games and because I don't do much but work and don't go spending money on partying I buy an average of 4 or 5 games a month. Sure, I could afford a 360 but could my money be well spent on other things like charities and helping people and putting money away in case the furnace breaks? Everyone who owns a home knows what I'm talking about! I've seen sooo many people lose their jobs and struggle day to day. One guy I heard about through my wife blew his head off and left behind a wife and 2 kids to fend for themselves because he lost his job. I just don't get how people can cough up $700.00 at a whim? I feel blessed. I have had a rough life losing people and struggling to get where I am financially, while watching people's world turn upside down financially. I certainly an glad for the fortunate ones that have it easy though. It's best to live for today because who knows what or if tomorrow will bring.

God Bless :

:cheers:

DOG
11-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't know but there are some that can. I can if I save.

ll Mista GT ll
11-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm getting my bought. :confused:

BORNGD
11-10-2005, 02:50 PM
think about this...how can family of 7 or 8 afford a trip to disneyland? i was there not too long ago and a family pulls up in a horrible station wagon, the kids unload and the parents have to pay...

its not just the xbox, i dont know how much people afford to live in California...welfare? might help

who knows, i dont want to stereotype, cuz it doesnt matter race! its expensive to live in certain areas that is for sure!

F1Ox
11-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Me and my wife are pretty well to do. Thankfully the economy hasn't destroyed our way of living and we are both young and have great careers. Most people I know are unfortunately living from paycheck to paycheck and have alot of bills and children to support. What I want to know is where are people coming up with 6 or 700.00 for these game bundles? I live in a state where the cost of living is sky high and that's what you have to pay to live away from natural disasters and bad people. I don't know any of my friends (some still living at home rent free) who can really afford that because of their big car payments, insurance etc, etc. I have owned and stood in line at every next gen console launch and owned every system at one time or another but I think this is one launch I will miss because I have an Xbox and lots of games and because I don't do much but work and don't go spending money on partying I buy an average of 4 or 5 games a month. Sure, I could afford a 360 but could my money be well spent on other things like charities and helping people and putting money away in case the furnace breaks? Everyone who owns a home knows what I'm talking about! I've seen sooo many people lose their jobs and struggle day to day. One guy I heard about through my wife blew his head off and left behind a wife and 2 kids to fend for themselves because he lost his job. I just don't get how people can cough up $700.00 at a whim? I feel blessed. I have had a rough life losing people and struggling to get where I am financially, while watching people's world turn upside down financially. I certainly an glad for the fortunate ones that have it easy though. It's best to live for today because who knows what or if tomorrow will bring.

God Bless :

Maybe a thing called SAving.

TheCovenant
11-10-2005, 03:33 PM
I baught and paid for my car, and i live at my parents property rent free. My money goes to school, food, and hanging out and stuff. The hanging out and stuff turns into 360 for awhile. Thats how i do it.

Mwright
11-10-2005, 04:51 PM
ok to answer the guys ? who made this thread....Yes...you are the only one

Whisper
11-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Still young enough to get a christmas present :)

but old enough to feel guilty :(

but overfall feeling ox xbox 360 :cheers:

Ninjermy
11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Well a few things... the 360 isnt 700 dollars its 400 no? Also, you could sell your xbox for about 150 dollars, that makes it only 250$ extra.
People just save... personally I worked over the summer and I have lots of extra money just sitting around so its no problem for me.

Hero
11-10-2005, 05:57 PM
its called credit..... you buy something and pay it off slowly..of course your killed on the interest but who cares about that when you get instant gratification?

seriously though..i know what you mean..i have a friend who is usually flat broke but since he just got a job at target he already pre-ordered his. i know he didnt pay it off in full so it has to be credit. no other way around it.

unless everyone started selling drugs on the side :watchout:

Heavens Gate
11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
My Q wasn't answered. The replies are from mostly young people and my thread wasn't meant for some of you to take offense to but your young so your forgiven. I meant some older XBA'ers who have children, a house, a car, a family to support, bills up the arse, etc. None of the repliers to this thread so far fit that description. I meant those with responsibilities that if they don't fulfill, could find themselves on the street.

Hero, your post was well said. It was just a question I was curious about. I don't know about some older folks here but where I live you can't find a house for under $350,000 that not the size of a bathroom. Sure, I can afford one but I don't know anyone (even those who can afford to) who would pay that much money right now. I mean, our economy is bad ! Unless you've been living in a cave you should know that

Ninjermy
11-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't understand how my post wasn't helpful. It pointed out how the 360 cost 250$ not 700$...

l Maximus l
11-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Perhaps the Seattle economy is doing better than where you live, Heavensgate...who knows... I have a $350,000+ house, married, bills, 2 cars that are newer than 2002, and my wife and I both work. Honestly $400 to blow on a game console isn't that tough...atleast not for me...but, then again, I'm a rich bastage!

But seriously, the way I see it is that you go out to dinner a couple times less for a month or two, or skip a couple movies at your local theatre, and you're practically at the price of the game console. It's all about balancing expenses...and this is for the people that generally live paycheck to paycheck. Fortunately, I'm also not a part of that fold either. I have mutual funds, a ROTH IRA, 401K, and I'm thinking about purchasing some more real estate.

hebgbz
11-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Good question. I have wondered the same thing. I am 45 years old and gaming is my number one hobby. I intend to get one, but I will not be buying any games. Only renting this next generation. I find I usually only play through them once anyway. As for your comments about how others come up with the money, I can think of no other reasons than that:

1. Live at home and have no financial responsibilities, so, their money can be spent on luxuries.
2. Credit card debt. Very bad idea. No way in hell will I go there.
3. Save for a very long time all your extra frivolous cash and coins.
4. Do a second job, mow yards, have a garage sale, sell stuff you no longer want on ebay.
5. Mom and Dad buy it for you because it's the only way to keep you from whining like the spoiled brats you know you are.

As for the money could be better used-no defense there. We are just selfish bastards. There is no way around it. People suffering and starving and in need in more ways than I could conceivably come up with and I spend a dime on games is utter nonsense, but alas we do. Try to right it off as healthy recreation or whatever you want, but ultimately we are just selfish, pampered, and spoiled people who would rather satisfy our wants (not needs) than help alleviate anothers need. No defense here. I'm just selfish. Work on it all the time, but a life time of trying will probably never bring me to the level of a Mother Teresa type who basically give up their entire lives for others. Sorry for preaching. Truth is, it's true.

I know exactly where you are coming from, though, on everything else. I am not wealthy, do not have a killer job, and plus my income was cut 40% in the last 4 months, so, I have tried to find a way to cut my gaming habit. I cannot quit because it is about the only habit I do. If I quit, I will no doubt just replace it with something else that cost as much or more. So, I have opted to quit pc gaming, only have one console this next gen instead of all of them like I did this gen, and only rent games using the monthly $20 per month thing at Blockbuster. So, after the initial purchase of the system, I should not be out more than $20 a month after that.

Could think of no cheaper way to game. That is how I do it as a home owner, middle-age working stiff whose first love is gaming.

Duke
11-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't understand how my post wasn't helpful. It pointed out how the 360 cost 250$ not 700$...

Because he's asking how people with real bills can justify the $400 for the system and the extra $200 or so in games, controllers, and whatever else. It's a different when the money you make has to go into things like electricity and phone and water and rent or mortgage among the million other things that are your responsibility once you're on your own.

He wasn't looking for money saving tips.

FatBox
11-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes..... Yes you are the only one...

F1Ox
11-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Who cares its called life. Evey human as to make money to pay there bills.

SAVE

Heavens Gate
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks hebgbz and Duke. That is exactly what I meant. I have been a gamer ever since I can remember. Your posts were very well put and you have answered my question. I was just wondering about us older guys here on the forum as we have families and other obligations. I just gave away 2 dreamcasts and hundreds of games to my nephew, a SEGA Saturn to his friend and my Atari amongst other older systems were donated years ago. I also have given up my PS2 and Gamecube and for awhile I was buying games and not even playing them but maybe once or twice before I'd buy another. I now only own 2 xboxes (one for traveling in my car) and all the best titles and I still am buying games. Just bought Battlefield 2, played it once and bought Burnout Revenge and Fable TLC and haven't touched the latter yet. I hardly ever finish a game but in the past always had the greatest system out, all of them. I won't make that mistake this time around though. I would love a 360 but then I know I won't play any of my Xbox games I have now, not that I ever will for that matter. I am currently extremely happy with my Xbox and hopefully I will enjoy all the games I have. I don't want to be a person that always has to have the best anymore. Trust me I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars. I have the option to buy a 360 but am glad I'm not camping out at the stores anymore. My mother has just retired and I think I will spend the money on her. I was thinking of buying her a new home. That will make me very happy. I guess it comes with age. My love for gaming , along with the consoles will always be there. My friends in need and family will not.

Thanks guys and happy gaming!!! Maybe I'll catch you on the 360 sometime in the future.

CoLoXBoXFReaK
11-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Well I don't do much of else but work 50-60 hour weeks and come home and play games. I go out on occasion but Im a homebody for the most part. Im not one of those who went out and paid 700 for a bundle. I prepaid for the system and have all my slots open on gamefly for 360 games :). Im not living paycheck to paycheck but I agree the amount of people getting these $$$$$$ prepaid bundles are insane.

THe biggest would be the sold out omega+ (i forget the bigger pack with hdtv bundle) who in the he(doublehockestix) got these?

DOG
11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
did any one get the Omaga bundle?

mattgame
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Well a few things... the 360 isnt 700 dollars its 400 no? Also, you could sell your xbox for about 150 dollars, that makes it only 250$ extra.
People just save... personally I worked over the summer and I have lots of extra money just sitting around so its no problem for me.

He said the bundle.

I feel ya, I traded in stuff that I don't use anymore. I have no money at all so I make a way.

Twistedcritts14
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
look it is the people that dont have kids that can get these systems but once you have kids you want to get them nice things you want them to be happy plus its an excuse to tell the wife why your buying it hahaha!!

Heavens Gate
11-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I just had a great conversation with my brother about what's been happening. I come to the conclusion that I will not be manipulated by game companies anymore. It ticks me off that all the money I spend on gaming and now newer consoles are coming out sooner and sooner and thay make you feel like if you don't have the *latest and greatest* that the rest of us are inferior. One thing I can say about ALL the systems I have owned is that not only were they and are STILL unique and great in their own way with the diversity in their gaming libraries but I could have gotten everything I owned and own alot cheaper if I would have just...... waited! EB games is offering 20 percent trade in credit toward the 360 and I couldn't believe the kids in line getting rid of all the great software they currently own for next to nothing. It's as bad as the computer business. By the greatest video card for hundreds of dollars and watch it be inferior in 6 months. I'm done buying into the hype and if I do get a current gen console it will be long after launch and after the prices drop to reel in more consumers with free add-ins and shizit. Some kid was in ther getting rid of an Xbox and about 55 games including a game he just bought 2 days ago NBA 2k6 and got 18 dollars for that game after he just paid 40. He traded in easily about 5,000 worth of stuff for a measly Drum roll please........ $675

Not me. I'll keep and be happy with what I have for now. Think about that and realize how ludacris that is. Not me, no, never! I guarantee when PS3 comes out the 360 will be half the price. It's a fact that companies don't make money on the consoles they sell but the software and content just like the cable company. Buy the service and get the hardware for free. I predict that is what's going to happen in the future. Microsoft is out of the gaming console war. They are at war with Apple, Google etc. Just remember who told you first.

laughs
11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't drink anymore... I don't smoke... I play! :p

Robflare
11-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I understand what you are saying. I'm a 36 year old professional and father of 1--my wife and I both work and combined make very good money. We have no financial worries, but that could change on a dime. This will be the last console I buy at launch. I bought the first xbox at launch and was genuinely excited about playing games on line with a head set. That was a brand new experience for me. This launch isn't about a brand new experience--it's slightly better games, and that's about it. Not really worth the $700 I'll drop next week, but it's my hobby, besides going to live sports--Heat/Bucs/Dolphins. I figure in 6 years my first daughter will be 8 and my unborn child will be 4 or 5. I won't have time for games, so I'm going to enjoy the next 2 final years of my gaming.

Smiley7853
11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
............ I like tacos.

carlbme
11-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I have two kids (2.5 & 4 yrs), a wife, two car payments, house payment, credit card payments, land payments (20 acres back home), savings plan, health insurance, life insurance, etc...

I put out a bit more than 2G's a month just in bills. Considering that with my kids being so young my wife doesn't work (hasn't since she was 7 months old with our first) the thought of tossing down at least 500 for a new console (games, adapters, extra joystick, etc..) is a bit too much. Sure, like Heaven states above, I could afford it no problem, but maybe I'm just getting old....500 could easily go to something more useful...and it will.

Jags
11-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Still young enough to get a christmas present :)

but old enough to feel guilty :(

but overfall feeling ox xbox 360 :cheers:
my thoughts exactly
but the way people do it is THERE FAT AND TOO UGLY TO STEP OUTSIDE SO THEY WORK FROM HOME AND PLAY XBOX ALL DAY LONG, thus they make, and save ALOT of money, and die sad and alone :cheers: :hump:

Heavens Gate
11-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I have two kids (2.5 & 4 yrs), a wife, two car payments, house payment, credit card payments, land payments (20 acres back home), savings plan, health insurance, life insurance, etc...

I put out a bit more than 2G's a month just in bills. Considering that with my kids being so young my wife doesn't work (hasn't since she was 7 months old with our first) the thought of tossing down at least 500 for a new console (games, adapters, extra joystick, etc..) is a bit too much. Sure, like Heaven states above, I could afford it no problem, but maybe I'm just getting old....500 could easily go to something more useful...and it will.

Nicely said Carl. I feel the same way.

:hail: