PDA

View Full Version : MS takes prevention to a new level.

Brevity
11-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Jeff Reents Confirms no Screws on Xbox 360 case
>> Xbox.com has an interview with Jeff Reents, Lead Mechanical Engineer for Xbox 360:

* Xbox.com: Tell me another cool thing about the guts.
* JR: Well, we want to discourage hackers, so this time around we didn't put any screws on the outside of the box and have multiple tamper evident labels. So with Xbox 360 we'll be able to tell if they've cracked the case.
* Xbox.com: And of course, just like the original Xbox, cracking the case immediately voids your warranty.
* JR: Of course.

* Xbox.com: What's the story on environmental standards? Is Xbox 360 "greener" than Xbox?
* JR: Definitely. Xbox 360 had to meet the Lead Free requirements and be RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliant.
* Xbox.com: Sounds good, but what specifically did that legislation mean for Xbox 360? What kind of compliance criteria did you have to deal with?
* JR: It means that Xbox 360 can't contain lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE) or meet the limits established by ROHS. So, the motherboard and all the solder in the Xbox 360 had to be lead-free.

Look ma no screws!
Read the whole interview on xbox.com

DOG
11-10-2005, 09:45 PM
it look good with out them

ShadedNine
11-10-2005, 11:11 PM
That's not really going to slow down the real hackers. Just the wannabe/casual ones. I'm slightly bothered by their efforts to stop people from gaining access to the case, because a few years down the line, if my DVD-ROM goes, I'll either have to crack it open or go to MS for repairs. It's easier and cheaper to replace it personally... Ah well, can't say I blame em.

l Maximus l
11-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Good...the last thing XBox Live games need are azzhole cheaters playing on modded XBoxes...

Ghost
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Good...the last thing XBox Live games need are azzhole cheaters playing on modded XBoxes...
I second that

That's not really going to slow down the real hackers. Just the wannabe/casual ones. I'm slightly bothered by their efforts to stop people from gaining access to the case, because a few years down the line, if my DVD-ROM goes, I'll either have to crack it open or go to MS for repairs. It's easier and cheaper to replace it personally... Ah well, can't say I blame em.
And that