PDA

View Full Version : Remote Question

Marc
11-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Will the xbox 360 remote control all the home electronics like Receivers, DVD players, and TVs or do I have to bend over and by the Logitech one?

Marc
11-15-2005, 04:09 PM
So nobody knows?

ll Mista GT ll
11-15-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's a "Universal" remote... So If you have the codes for your products.. I dont see why not :)

SH4MR0CK
11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
your spinning 360controller is putting me in a trance lol.

ShadedNine
11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
It will handle the majority of devices out there, like any universal remote. It won't control certain older or fringe items though, where a learning remote like a Harmony (which is just one option, there are cheaper ones) comes in.

For example, I have a set of remote control light switches that I picked up at The Source. They require you to buy some special "home control" remote for the whole series. I simply walked into the store with my harmony, fired their remote at it, and learned the signal.

Marc
11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
It will handle the majority of devices out there, like any universal remote. It won't control certain older or fringe items though, where a learning remote like a Harmony (which is just one option, there are cheaper ones) comes in.

For example, I have a set of remote control light switches that I picked up at The Source. They require you to buy some special "home control" remote for the whole series. I simply walked into the store with my harmony, fired their remote at it, and learned the signal.
Wil a Harmony work with the 360? It sounds SICK! Where are they sold? My DVD and Receiver are Harman Kardan, so I'm hoping to control everything with the 360 remote, but the Harmony might be a better choice?

ll Mista GT ll
11-16-2005, 02:10 PM
your spinning 360controller is putting me in a trance lol.

lol. I made it my self. You like? :cool:

ShadedNine
11-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Wil a Harmony work with the 360? It sounds SICK! Where are they sold? My DVD and Receiver are Harman Kardan, so I'm hoping to control everything with the 360 remote, but the Harmony might be a better choice?

Any learning remote can take care of pretty much any device. The real trick behind the harmony is the "actions". Basically, you can configure the buttons like "watch TV", "Play DVD" to turn on and setup several devices. You hold the button down, and it spits out all the necessary codes. Makes the whole process stupidly easy for the less tech-savvy members of the household.

Jags
11-16-2005, 07:50 PM
livin a lie man livin a lieeeeee
LOL
timmy!!!!!
anyway i would get the universal remote

ShadedNine
11-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh, to answer your other question, you can find Harmony remotes at most 'tech' stores...Best Buy, Circuit City, Magnolia, etc in the States or Best Buy, Future Shop, Visions, etc in Canada.

The remotes themselves are branded as Logitech, who recently bought the rights (or perhaps the whole company behind it, I'm not sure). However, you might still find some that are made by other companies (if you can, you should be able to get a good deal on it...nothing has really changed on them since Logitech took over anyway).

You can find info on all the different models at Logitech's website. If it seems like there isn't much difference one model to another, that's because there isn't. The only one that really has anything different is the most expensive, which sports a color screen and built in rechargeable battery.

Marc
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I have a so called "learning remote" with my harman kardan receiver, but I can't get the SOB to work and learn codes. I gave my old receiver to my dad and that remote is supposed to be a learning remote, but I couldn't get it to learn a damn thing either. :(

Brevity
11-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Have you tried feeding and treating it better? Take it to a movie, buy it a new dress. Marc you dont seem to understand it man.

Marc
11-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I guess I don't. I read the directions and did what it said, but to no avail.

Salmonaitor
11-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Confirmed: Remote does come with the Premium Package