PDA

View Full Version : PGR3 gets mixed reviews (literally)

pitt4ever
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Review from IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/667/667076p1.html)

Review from 1UP (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3145713&did=1)

Gosh I hope 1UP is truthful, then I have to get it! :hump:

GigerHR
11-15-2005, 04:25 PM
I was playing the full retail version on the weekend and I'd give PGR3 a 9.5, right in the middle of the two. The gameplay is great, better than PGR2, but maybe a step down from Forza. The graphics, though, are probably the best (and most realistic) I've ever seen in a game. The attention to detail is nothing short of remarkable - like the fans on the sidelines, who'll jump back and looked scared if you crash into the barricade in front of them! Even on a standard non-HDTV the picture is sharp and vibrant.

If you're a fan of racing, you need to play this game.

m4oH
11-15-2005, 04:29 PM
PGR3 and Oblivion are by far my most anticipated for 360. I can't wait to see how PGR3 is online considering I'm still addicted to playing the 2nd one.

TheCovenant
11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
ign is up to something. Maybe they want to be the "hard raters" of this generation...

Ninjermy
11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I hate when they lower a games score because of gay **** like loading times. I dont care if it has to load! If it does then its probably for a reason!! :mad:

pitt4ever
11-15-2005, 05:19 PM
I hate when they lower a games score because of gay **** like loading times. I dont care if it has to load! If it does then its probably for a reason!! :mad:

Yeah, like it's loading something good. :p

studepaber
11-15-2005, 05:46 PM
ign is up to something. Maybe they want to be the "hard raters" of this generation...

Mid-high 8's aren't bad scores IMO, maybe they're doing this so they have room to give higher scores to future Xbox360 games, like PGR4 and Kameo's sequel. :confused:

Now if these games were getting 5's, 6's I'd start to worry.

BTW these are the same people that gave Jade Empire a 9.9, JE isn't THAT close to a perfect game.

ShadedNine
11-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I've always found that a lot of IGNs reviews are basically just first impressions. They play through the first bit of a game, get the jist of it, then toss out a review and rating.

swivel
11-15-2005, 06:01 PM
10's are gay. It leaves no room for improvement. An 8.8 should be considered an amazing game, not something mediocre. 5 should be average. Not bad, but not good.

I wish more reviewers would utilize the entire scale. I'm sick of seeing nearly all game occupy a space between 7 and 10. The more you compress the scale, the less meaning it contains.

ShadedNine
11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
10's are gay. It leaves no room for improvement. An 8.8 should be considered an amazing game, not something mediocre. 5 should be average. Not bad, but not good.

I wish more reviewers would utilize the entire scale. I'm sick of seeing nearly all game occupy a space between 7 and 10. The more you compress the scale, the less meaning it contains.

Agreed. Overall, the collection of a system's games should form a bell curve centered at or slightly ahead of the halfway mark. A 10 should be virtually impossible, with scores like 9.9/9.8 being reserved for those rare unbelievable games that somehow get it all right, they only come along every couple of years.

Oh well...I don't read reviews to see what number they picked anyway. I only look at the comments and then decide for myself how they apply to me personally.

FB-Gollum
11-15-2005, 08:10 PM

Bestr point made on these forums in months. Since when is geting a "A" a sign of failure? It's indicative of the state of things when getting an awesome score means crap.

That said, I think the entire concept of quantifianle numerical ratings for games to be completely ludicrous. Things are constantly progressing in games and as a result everything has to be weighed against what is out there now. They should just start using sentences to give a 'bottom line' opinion of the product.

eg.

"PGR3 is a stellar first step in the new generation and should not be missed by anyone who enjoys a good racing game".

There, I don't need a meaningless number. I've played enough games that got 5/10 because of a million stupid reasons that kicked total ass and enough 9/10 games that sucked bag to know that numbers mean **** in the grander scheme of things. Words communicate meaning.

*EDIT

To keep the thread focused, a comment on the reviews. I have to side with the IGN guy. He seems to say everything that the 1UP reviewer says, but goes deeper in to the games mechanics and focuses far more on gameplay than just visual upgrades. Seriously, the 1UP reviewer spents 3/4 of the article on the visuals. Sure that's hugely important for a "next gen" title at launch, but please, can we get more than 1 paragraph on gameplay? He seems blinded by the pretty sheen, whereas the IGN person looks deeper, and still gives the game a hell of a good rating, which it obviously deserves, but acknowledges that there is still room for improvement.

Shadow20002
11-15-2005, 08:12 PM
In between 8 and 10, it's always a ''get it for sure''.

mattgame
11-15-2005, 08:12 PM
I think it should be at least a 9. What did the drunkards at IGN give PGR2? It was pretty high wasn't it?

Hero
11-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Mid-high 8's aren't bad scores IMO, maybe they're doing this so they have room to give higher scores to future Xbox360 games, like PGR4 and Kameo's sequel. :confused:

Now if these games were getting 5's, 6's I'd start to worry.

BTW these are the same people that gave Jade Empire a 9.9, JE isn't THAT close to a perfect game.

i totally agree with you. especially on the jade empire score.

9.9 for jade? :huh:

l Maximus l
11-16-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm more surprised by the perfect 10 score than anything. I mean, if this was the first PGR, but, being made for the XBox 360 and knowing nothing about the PGR franchise, I think the game would have received higher scores, but, it's basically the same game with a few extra perks and tweaks, with prettier graphics, etc, etc, etc...

It's not as if we haven't seen this game before. I believe original mind blowing titles will get more recognition than something previously seen.

Go420Dawgs
11-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Ok my EB got this game in today. Well my friends the manager there. So anyways just to start off. OMG this game looks so insane. The attention to detail is everywhere in this game. The way each car handles. The reaction the crowd gets after ramming your car into a wall right next to them. Tire marks never get erased from the pavement. The lights and enviroment around you reflecting off the car. The way your car damges. When your in the ****pit and lets say i sideswipe my left side view mirror and bend it and brake the mirror theres literally 100's of broken little shards in your side view mirror and each has its own reflection of the enviroment behind you. The attention to detail when your inside the ****pit is insane. We tried alot of the cars that you dont have to unlock out. Each with its own unique sound. I drove the Enzo Ferrari , Mercedes McClarren, Aston martin DB9, McClarren M1, Saleen s7, The list goes on. All I have to say if your getting the 360 this is a MUST own for it. Oh we also play Condemmed and some of Call of Duty 2 the retail versions. And condemmed is insane too. I am thinking of adding that to my list of many games. Its is a very scary game. So realistic looking. If games are looking this good allready off of one processor then all i have to say is I think we are in good shape for the futur of the 360. Perfect Dark Zero should arrive tommorow so I will let you know my feelings on that.

FB-Gollum
11-18-2005, 01:41 AM
Ok my EB got this game in today. Well my friends the manager there. So anyways just to start off. OMG this game looks so insane. The attention to detail is everywhere in this game. The way each car handles. The reaction the crowd gets after ramming your car into a wall right next to them. Tire marks never get erased from the pavement. The lights and enviroment around you reflecting off the car. The way your car damges. When your in the ****pit and lets say i sideswipe my left side view mirror and bend it and brake the mirror theres literally 100's of broken little shards in your side view mirror and each has its own reflection of the enviroment behind you. The attention to detail when your inside the ****pit is insane. We tried alot of the cars that you dont have to unlock out. Each with its own unique sound. I drove the Enzo Ferrari , Mercedes McClarren, Aston martin DB9, McClarren M1, Saleen s7, The list goes on. All I have to say if your getting the 360 this is a MUST own for it. Oh we also play Condemmed and some of Call of Duty 2 the retail versions. And condemmed is insane too. I am thinking of adding that to my list of many games. Its is a very scary game. So realistic looking. If games are looking this good allready off of one processor then all i have to say is I think we are in good shape for the futur of the 360. Perfect Dark Zero should arrive tommorow so I will let you know my feelings on that.

Dude, that's awesome. Thanks for the update, let us know how PD0 is please.