PDA

View Full Version : Who Owns a Gameboy Advance Here?

Kamshaft
02-21-2002, 08:37 AM
Now, I'm not PRO Nintendo or anything, but the other day I bought myself a GameBoy Advance and a few games, one of them being Midway Arcade Classics , WOW...is all I have to say...the Double A's lasted me 15 hours, I'm talking about regular Duracells!!! The screen is a little on the dark side, but lights are available and some guy is making a internal lighting kit. www.portablemonopoly.com

Now, if Microsoft came out with a handheld gaming device, I'd be all over it. But, unfortunately they don't. I love my Xbox to death (****, I started this HUGE site didn't I) and I'm not buying a Nintendo Gamecube either. But this little GBA handheld device rocks and a lot of classic games are available on it. Pac-Man, Ms.Pac-Man, Galaga, Defender and a pile more.

And the GBA costed me only $70 USD, the price was right too to have all those old games, and play them on the road.

Do you have a GBA? (Don't be afraid to say)

JJaX
02-21-2002, 09:06 AM
70 bucks? Where at?

VAN
02-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
70 bucks? Where at?

Ummm....everywhere. :)

The GBA retail price dropped to $69.99 quite awhile ago.

BORNGD
02-21-2002, 09:21 AM
i have a gameboy advance and its just alright if u ask me...the light i have SUX and u really cant see the games unless u have it set up in a perfect place next to a lamp or something...the lighting just plain old sux on it...

i have two games, pac man advance (which i lost somehow) and mario advance which is super mario 2 and the original...both games are good but i just find myself not spending money on those games ya know...they are almost the price of a xbox game when u think about it...most games are 34-40 bucks, for 10 more bucks u can get a xbox game, thats the only reason i dont have more games...

But of course the best thing about them is, the long road trips and being entertained...and the battery does last forever it seems...

Ninja Scroll
02-21-2002, 09:22 AM
I dont own one, but I sure was considering it once I heard about the price drop last month! I would love to have Sonic Advance!
But then again, since I am a loyal addict Stephan... you can always hook your friendly addict role model up with one of dem joints! :D :cool: :D

JJaX
02-21-2002, 09:35 AM
I want super mario world for the road :(

JJaX
02-21-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by VAN-XBA

Ummm....everywhere. :)

The GBA retail price dropped to $69.99 quite awhile ago.

Cool, i did not know that. If games were like 10-15 bucks each i would definitely have to get it.

fear_this
02-21-2002, 09:48 AM
Wow, i really didnt like the GBA but now after you pointed it out, I actually Kinda like it. Im going to save my money up to get it. Which should I get though Wreckless or GBA? :cool:

Plewis
02-21-2002, 10:26 AM
I would probably buy the GBA if you spend a lot of the time on the road (or in the air or on the water), but its your decision. Choose wisely

JJaX
02-21-2002, 10:27 AM
I thought wreckless sucked.

l Maximus l
02-21-2002, 10:40 AM
One thing is for sure, Nintendo clearly dominates the hand-held gaming industry. But, I have never been into hand-helds, personally. I mean, I would play one if someone had one available and let me play, but, I don't think I would buy one...even at the relatively new discounted price. (The price reduction is a relatively new reduction in the Seattle area - probably 2 months ago is when it dropped...not sure about anywhere else).

Personally, I think the screen is a little small. But, one cool thing about them is that if you have friends that own them, you can link them together kind of like the XBox's System Link...also, you can plug a Gameboy Advance into a GameCube and play it on a larger screen. I will have to commend Nintendo for that idea...pretty cool for Nintendo consumers.

JJaX
02-21-2002, 10:49 AM
Id just look to have it to play classic games like super mario world if im on a road trip or taking a dump.

Ninja Scroll
02-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Plewis
I would probably buy the GBA if you spend a lot of the time on the road (or in the air or on the water), but its your decision. Choose wisely

I totally agree with ya plewis. That's probably the only reason I would not buy a GameBoy Advance is because im never on the road to travel that often enough.
I most traveling I do on a daily bases is riding the metro subway back & forth to work and home.
It's not like I would buy a Advance just so I can play it at home when I have a Xbox and Dreamcast their to play on my 27"inch TV!:rolleyes:
But I think investing in a GameBoy Advance is a good choice for us all, im mean... it will be years before another Nintendo hand-held. So $70.00 is a mad crazy steal price for this little hand held trooper!:cool:

Shadow Fox
02-21-2002, 11:55 AM
I own a GBA, and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is badass. So is MarioKart- you only need one cart to play multiplayer (up to 4 peeps) with it. And the batteries do last long. And for all FF/RPG lovers, Golden Sun is God.

GBA would be even better if it had more of the WonderSwan titles, like the FF series, DragonQuest series, and the rumored sequel to Crono Cross.

Just waiting for Soul Calibur II GBA...

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Hugh_Jass
02-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Stephen-XBA
www.portablemonopoly.com

I am DEFINITELY buying this light kit when it gets released. I've owned a GBA since launch and the screen issues are the single biggest problem with the unit.

Kamshaft
02-21-2002, 01:33 PM
For those of you people that have a GBA, I have a small surprise for you. (Hint: It will look like XBA)

And no it's not a Gamecube site.

VAN
02-21-2002, 02:36 PM
For those of you people that have a GBA, I have a small surprise for you. (Hint: It will look like XBA)

I know what it is! :D

It's lookin' good too, Stephen.

Alien
02-21-2002, 02:41 PM
Yeah, i got a GBA. I think by FAR the best game is Golden Sun, and i advise all who dont have or are goin to get one to get GS as one of their first games. It is the best. :)

kikimo
02-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Love my GBA. Though I don't play it as much since I got XBox. Flash rom card is the best. Nothing like having 50 NES games on one cartrige at a time. Also someone has written an emulator for the Spectrum which I like because it has a lot of the same games as C64 (like bruce lee).

FlyBoy
02-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Well, all this positive feedback about GBA convinced me... I just got mine brand new on ebay for 66 bucks(shipping already included). Some are going for less than that if you really fight for them or buy used. I can't wait for a GBA addict site... hell, i can't wait for my GBA to get here! So the best game to buy is Golden Sun? How is Sonic?

JimmieDoogan
02-21-2002, 03:51 PM
I bought my GBA at launch. I have Castlevania, Mario Kart, Tekken Advanced (jpn), Breath of Fire and Golden Sun. I am getting Sonic Advanced soon. I don't want the Super Mario World game. I played that enough on SNES. Has anyone tried Crusin' USA for GBA? I've not heard much about it so I have reservations about its quality.

DT21
02-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
I bought my GBA at launch. I have Castlevania, Mario Kart, Tekken Advanced (jpn), Breath of Fire and Golden Sun. I am getting Sonic Advanced soon. I don't want the Super Mario World game. I played that enough on SNES. Has anyone tried Crusin' USA for GBA? I've not heard much about it so I have reservations about its quality.
How is Tekken Advance?

JimmieDoogan
02-21-2002, 04:05 PM
It's pretty much Tekken, mind you minus the two extra attack buttons, but I'm very pleased with it.

Kamshaft
02-21-2002, 05:47 PM
On March 1st, 2002, I'll let you guys in on my creation for the GBA folks/community. I didn't think there was that many of you. (-:

Pure GBA goodness. Sonic rocks BTW!

Ninja Scroll
02-21-2002, 06:45 PM
On March 1st, 2002, I'll let you guys in on my creation for the GBA folks/community. I didn't think there was that many of you. (-:

Pure GBA goodness. Sonic rocks BTW!

Wha, wha, wait a second,... yo Stephan- your adding a Nintendo forum into a Xbox dedicated website?
I dont know how that will look or feel on a website filled with green all over! :confused:
Im behind you on any choices or moves you make in an attempt to better the site/forums, but im not sure about this one bro.
Maybe it's just me, or when you reveal it, it will look sweet.
But let me get this right,.... a dedicated GBA forum?

Oh, and you said Sonic Advance rocks?! That's good to hear cause that would be the first game I would get if I ever bought a GBA! :)

skoot182
02-21-2002, 07:18 PM
hmmmmmm, now why is this thread so "Important" ?

Kamshaft
02-21-2002, 07:28 PM
There will not be a Nintendo forum here on XBa, don't worry...this will be a completely seperate site all together... Everything's cool guys.

Koopa
02-21-2002, 07:30 PM
your lives are not fulfilled until you've played Advance Wars:D

if you've got a GBA you need Advance Wars and Super Mario advance 2:-D THPS2 if that's your thing (I don't love THPS), and Golden Sun (which I've had the opportunity to play for about an hour..) are also good...uh F-Zero is great unless you're an idiot and can't figure out how to do blast turns, Mario Kart is superb, Castlevania is alright (idunno i never loved it for some reason...) Bomberman....don't get it...yeah thats about it:D

Xbox
02-21-2002, 07:32 PM
I own a GBA. Its just hard playing it when you got a pc,ps2,xbox in the same room with it. Understand? On road trips the GBA is the main course....actually it was, because my dad got a 12volt power converter for the car, so I can play my PS2 + TV and watch dvds on the road ( mabye the xbox some day if that **** remote wasnt required). Stephen-XBA thanks for the GBA site.

Frostberg
02-21-2002, 07:44 PM
YAY! I am the first non staff member, and the second overall to post on the GBA (another A?) forums...but I have one wried question, why does the nurse over there have, how shall I say. "perky nipples"?!?!?!

http://www.gbaaddict.com/images/forums/gba_asylum_logo.jpg

Kamshaft
02-21-2002, 07:50 PM
OK, the cat's out of the bag... www.gbaaddict.com or www.gbaddict.com

Go nuts guys! Write those user reviews! gbaddict.com works exactly like XBA.

Frostberg
02-21-2002, 07:55 PM
lol it wasnt that hard to figure out...hmm xba addict....gba addict? im just good at logic I guess...

Ummm, can we have it cold over here too, I mean...if you want to get demographic, id say the older people generally own an Xbox, and swll we like that...we cant be second as we were your first creation, oooo we want some perkyness....

Oh yeah and the write game reviews and win button doesnt work...You prolly didnt get that far yet as you were busy playin sonic

skoot182
02-21-2002, 09:18 PM
LOL!!

FuNkY mOnK
02-21-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
also, you can plug a Gameboy Advance into a GameCube and play it on a larger screen.

I’ve asked people at eb and gamespot exactly how game cube and advance work together; you know what they say, I don’t know and why would you. It’s really not clear how this works; getting it on a big screen is a great idea.

Dave
02-21-2002, 11:34 PM
I am glad you posted this. GBA has plenty of games I could enjoy on a long trip, and I actually did purchase a GBA, but took it back because of the lighting. I would buy it again if the lighting issue could be resolved, but Nintendo really dropped the ball on that screen, and I would never even want a GBA or any other handheld with a screen like that. Hopefully this thing is cheap, and does fix the problem.

Kamshaft
02-22-2002, 09:31 AM
Check it out. I've got prizes for that site too. Games, T-Shirts, etc... BUt, remember it's completely seperate from XBA. Enjoy!

fear_this
02-22-2002, 09:54 AM
Wow, you own GBA Addict.com too?

skoot182
02-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by The Fn Show
I FOUND THE GBA EASTER EGG!!!!

"the gba was here, the gba is all good, gba is the best, Game Boy Advance "

if u highlight the whole front page at the bottom u will see that

yay
:D

HEY GENIUS!!!!!!!

LOL, GBAA is a clone page of XBA, where I, yes I , found the secret message.

Ripoff...

sinizuh
02-22-2002, 11:09 AM
you people are slaves of the man...

GP32 > GBA

www.gp32.com

that's how the xbox handheld should be made.

Ninja Scroll
02-22-2002, 01:25 PM
The new site kicks ass fellow addict comrades!

Did I meantion it's at www.gbaaddict.com :D Im plugging away at this!
Im like a freakin sponsor or something!;)

Angell
02-22-2002, 05:04 PM
I personally cant wait to ebay mine, I have the pictures all ready. So I :) goodbye gameboy, hello more Xbox stuff!

SeTH
02-22-2002, 05:49 PM
I am a HARDCORE gamer I camped out on day one for the GameBoy Advance and the PlayStation 2 but not XBOX (I still got my XBOX on day one but I had to wait until after school to go get it) because I just got back from disney world in florida and if I missed anymore days of school it would mean me getting on contract (which is very bad). I mean dont get me wrong, out of the four (including the old Playstation)consoles I own I love XBOX the best!!!!!!

monkeyman
02-22-2002, 07:03 PM
(****, I started this HUGE site didn't I

potty word!!!!!!! and from a mod!!! and yes i do got one its ummm ok

Stoudman
02-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Hurrah! now I have a reason to go to one of the Addict sites! Don't get me wrong guys, I appreciate the Xbox's value as a console. It has many things that other consoles don't have. Just one thing bugs me about it...people (mostly kids) compare it to the Gamecube, and call Gamecube the kiddy system...

I've seen more adults playing the Gamecube than I have the Xbox. If you ask me, the Xbox is the "kiddie system". Personally, I can't wait until they can make something original on Xbox that isn't a Shooter. No offense and all, but....

Halo = Army Men 3D (N64) + Starcraft (Windows)

I have no doubt that Xbox will release some games for gamers like me, who enjoy pretty much everything BUT shooters...
Until then, I will not be purchasing one.

Now about the Gameboy Advance; I purchased one a few weeks after its release, and now have three games for it. Golden Sun, Mario Kart, and THPS2. Trust me on this, THPS2 is good, but it gets dull fast. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I'm going out to buy Super Mario World tomorrow, seeing as it was one of my favorite games on SNES. Probably one of the best reasons to buy a GBA, and the main reason I boguht it right off the back, is because I knew they would be taking games from the SNES/NES, and renewing them on this kickass little handheld. For those who remember the good old days of the SNES, and wouldn't mind playing your favorite games from those days while on the sh*tter, the GBA is a solid choice.

Concerning Cruisin' USA for GBA: DO NOT GET THIS. The graphics are horrible, and it is possibly one of the worst games for the GBA. They just totally messed this one up. Well, I'm off to gbaddict.com, my newfound home :)

sinizuh
02-23-2002, 02:23 AM
any crusin game (world or usa) is the worst racing game known to man...

btw, did i mention:

GP32 > GBA

www.gp32.com

Alien
02-23-2002, 08:18 AM
How could you call HALO "kiddie"??? IT is rated 'M' for starters, and it is so violent n' bloody that like half of the kids couldnt get it even if it were 'E'. There is nothing kiddie about HALO. :mad:

jhixson2
02-23-2002, 09:56 AM
man i hate the gba! why play a 32-bit handheld on a s" screen when i can play my xbox on a 25" tv!

Ninja Scroll
02-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by jhixson2
man i hate the gba! why play a 32-bit handheld on a s" screen when i can play my xbox on a 25" tv!

um,...... because it's portable..:rolleyes: ..
give it a look junior!
You might want to re-think your opinion now.
I did!:cool:

Frostberg
02-23-2002, 11:53 AM
And who wouldnt love portable...

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/20054544/Images/gbadoom.jpg

Ninja Scroll
02-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg
And who wouldnt love portable...

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/20054544/Images/gbadoom.jpg

that's what im saying, but dat Doom Advance pic has got to go!
Post a Sonic or Tekken Advance and where talkin then sunshine!:D

gameslave
02-23-2002, 02:42 PM
I had a GBA but got rid of it cause I was going blind trying to see the superdark screen! I tried two different lights and it still sucked. Too bad as there are some really good games on it.