PDA

View Full Version : A friendly warning

Jags
11-19-2005, 12:38 PM
i feel that i should warn everyone on here to buy thier 360 from a place that sells extended warranty
because seeing as we're gonna be living, breathing, cash producing beta testers for the first batch of 360 WE are gonna have alot more bugs and problems than the 2nd generation of the 360
na'mean?
:hardcore: :hump:

FB-Gollum
11-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Wow, that's a really good thought. My first Xbox died way fast compared to my second one (which would've lasted a lot longer had I not bashed the thing around a bunch, accidentally of course). Yeah, purchase an extended warranty so you can get a second gen one for free when your first one goes bust.

Hero
11-19-2005, 12:53 PM
good advice jags....i was already planning on doing that since i managed to break my first xbox down after only a year's use =/ ...great job morrowind...didnt get a warranty on that either...

any idea's on how much they will try to charge us for the warranties?

killerscott
11-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I probably will not get one... Unless shopko sells them, and for cheap. Anyways My xbox is the first gen xbox and It still runs flawlessly.

Ninjermy
11-19-2005, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about warrenty. IMO -> waste of money. Plus if there is a small bug its likely to affect like 1 outa 1000 xbox's you know, so odds are it won't hit yours (and the odds are probably great).

ShadedNine
11-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Extended warranties are a lot like an insurance policy. Unfortunately for the consumer, they exist to sell you peace of mind, to which they've attached a dollar sign. The general idea is to sell more $ in extended warranties than you pay out in repairs and replacements. It's a gamble.

I never purchase them, and yes, I've had my Xbox fail on me twice, yet I've never once paid to repair it. Microsoft realises that
1) it looks bad when they get a bunch of disgruntled customers who bought a box that was destined to fail early.
2) If my box breaks, and I'm not willing to pay to repair it, I won't be buying any more games, and since they didn't make money on the hardware in the first place.
3) Buying a launch box labels you as an early adopter. Manufacturers live off early adopters, its what makes their standard or format win out, and drives sales. Nobody wants to buy the console that nobody bought.

So, naturally, when I phone them up, they suggest that it will cost ~$150 to repair it. I suggest that they call a supervisor. They come back having talked to the supervisor and suggest I pay $75. I suggest again that I not.

Ultimately, it ends in a postage-paid box being shipped to me, wherein I place my Xbox, along with a little note asking that the drive be replaced by a Samsung (that was the second time) ;) .

hebgbz
11-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I talked to EB today and their warranty is $40 for one year. Seems high to me since the last one was $27 for 2 years from them. Plus, I think I will go with the MS extended warranty that comes in the box like I did on my first. Never used it, but felt good knowing it would not cost me to fix it nonetheless.

It's a crap shoot. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So, throw the dice.

LeoBreaker
11-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Extended warranties are a lot like an insurance policy. Unfortunately for the consumer, they exist to sell you peace of mind, to which they've attached a dollar sign. The general idea is to sell more $ in extended warranties than you pay out in repairs and replacements. It's a gamble.

I never purchase them, and yes, I've had my Xbox fail on me twice, yet I've never once paid to repair it. Microsoft realises that
1) it looks bad when they get a bunch of disgruntled customers who bought a box that was destined to fail early.
2) If my box breaks, and I'm not willing to pay to repair it, I won't be buying any more games, and since they didn't make money on the hardware in the first place.
3) Buying a launch box labels you as an early adopter. Manufacturers live off early adopters, its what makes their standard or format win out, and drives sales. Nobody wants to buy the console that nobody bought.

So, naturally, when I phone them up, they suggest that it will cost ~$150 to repair it. I suggest that they call a supervisor. They come back having talked to the supervisor and suggest I pay $75. I suggest again that I not.

Ultimately, it ends in a postage-paid box being shipped to me, wherein I place my Xbox, along with a little note asking that the drive be replaced by a Samsung (that was the second time) ;) .

amen brother

Brevity
11-19-2005, 07:14 PM
I thought you were warning people about my plan to stab people for their 360s on opening day. Well looks like we are cool here I will go back to sharpening my knifes.

Jags
11-19-2005, 11:36 PM
I thought you were warning people about my plan to stab people for their 360s on opening day. Well looks like we are cool here I will go back to sharpening my knifes.
lol we can talk about that later ;) :cheers:
but hey i phoned my bestbuy and even tho it was a stupid hoebag who picked up she sounded confident when she said that i get 2 years warranty standard with the purchase of the box it would ONLY COST ME $10 FOR 10 YEARS OF WARRANTY at this point i did do a little :watchout: :huh:
but hey im gd with 10 years of warranty

laughs
11-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I broke down and got the VIP extened warranty thing for 40 bucks... I figured there could be bugs yet so better safe than sorry.

Go420Dawgs
11-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Yah im getting the extended warranty also. It may be hard to believe but i still have my original version 1 xbox. Though it only plays halo 2, halo and amped. All other disc get an error. So needless to say i will be buying the warranty.

laughs
11-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Yah im getting the extended warranty also. It may be hard to believe but i still have my original version 1 xbox. Though it only plays halo 2, halo and amped. All other disc get an error. So needless to say i will be buying the warranty.

The warranty is for one year only though.

hebgbz
11-20-2005, 07:02 PM
yeah, the EB warranty is for only one year. If it were two years, sure, but no way for only a year.