PDA

View Full Version : 360 and Media Center PC

Donaldson
11-23-2005, 09:44 PM
So, this may be a stupid question, but here goes. I get my 360 Friday so I haven't been able to experiment yet. I have the MN-740 for the original Xbox, I know this can hook up to the 360. I can't get live to work now bc we don't have a wireless router, we just have a wireless connection that goes to our laptops. Therefore since no router the Xbox has no IP. Is there a way that I can connect to the internet through the MN-740 and my laptop ?

bob808
11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
how do you have a wireless laptop connection but no wireless router?

Donaldson
11-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Don't quote me on this, but we have a wireless modem, which means we can all access through one modem bc the computers all have their own IP....All that I know is that I can access the internet from 3 different laptops and 2 desktops, but no matter what I try the original Xbox cannot connect bc it doesn't have an IP....if this makes no sense then yes you can call me an idiot. All I know is that when I had a wireless router at my old apartment I could access live, now with no router I still access with my laptop, but not Live.

*edit: I just noticed that we both joined in 2002 and have roughly the same low number of posts...360 bring you back?

LeoBreaker
11-23-2005, 11:07 PM
dude i am getting windows media center so i will tell you what you can do with it once i set it all up

Salmonaitor
11-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Are you using a wireless bridge? What are you using to connect wirelessly?

Donaldson
11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
We just have the modem supplied by the ISP, no router whatsoever, that's why I am having troubles with the Live connection. I tried to rig it so I hooked a wired router to my laptop and then hooked that to the Xbox and the MN-740. When I did that I got an IP assigned to the Xbox it still wouldn't connect for some reason. I am pretty sure that was from my weird rig I had going.

ShadedNine
11-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Something doesn't sound right. Typical modems (and isps) will only give you 1 external IP address per modem. If you have several systems running off that one modem, then it is indeed a router (perhaps with a modem built in) because it's assigning IPs to your individual systems. I'll bet if you look at the IP of each system, it will probably be 192.168.(anything).(anything). This being the case, your 360 should be able to hook up to it with the MN-740, given the proper settings on both the 740 and your router.