PDA

View Full Version : So I finally played PGR3...

FB-Gollum
11-27-2005, 09:43 PM
...and I was disappointed. I really hate to say that because everything I read convinced me there was no way this game would miss. I didn't find what I read to be true.

Before I go to much further, here's a quick heads up. I played it for about 20 minutes st Best Buy. They had a nice couch with a surround sound system and a 40 something inch HDTV (I think is was a Panasonic). So I sat down and tried it out. It appeared to be some kind of demo disc so perhaps it was an earlier build. I was a big PGR2 fan, so understand, this is a game I have been anticipating, my own expectations may have clouded my judgement, but then again, I played COD2 and my mind was blown by that.

First off, there were obvious jaggies. I went and checked that switch I heard people talking about, and it was set to HDTV. Secondly, a lot of the textures seemed low res and not much better. The grass comes to mind. So very obviously flat with no sense of volume or substance to it. The in car view also bothered me. Once again the textures on the inside of the car didn't look anyting like the "game play videos" I had watched. I won't comment too much on gameplay, because I only got to play with one car on one track. I felt was a little lackluster, but then again, I've been playing a lot of Forza, so I was driving the wrong way 100%. It was really easy to drift with it and I could see how with some practice the gameplay may actually prove to be superb, especially in MP. But graphically, it just didn't blow me away.

On the plus side, there were some pretty cool effects. One thing I've noticed, and it'll be interesting to see how this develops in future title is the whole "depth of field" effect. It really makes the world feel big. Outside feels like outside. It's crazy and subtle in a way but it really gets you.

Ayhoo, I don't want to come off like I'm bashing, but I've been a big supporter of this system's insane graphical superiority over it's predecessor. Now, I've seen something that really didn't make me think it was that hot ****. So I thought I'd bring that up.

Plewis
11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
damn, of course I still wanna try it out myself... but thats not good news. I had PGR and PGR2 and I actually might have perferred the original PGR but I still liked them both. Hopefully, it is an ealier model as you wonder. Thanks for the heads up.

bob808
11-27-2005, 10:45 PM
I have this game and I'm amazed by the graphics! gameplay is typical pgr but the looks are to die for. maybe you had a early build or you over hyped yourself. i dunno. I am playing on a 19" lcd computer monitor and have never seen anything like it. I also have call of duty 2 and while the graphics on that one are superb, pgr3 leaves it in the dust in the looks dept in my opinion.

l Maximus l
11-28-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm guessing that the demo is an earlier build, not the final product based on what Bob had to say...

But, I can say this, if you're looking for an unbelievable racing game, pick up Need For Speed: Most Wanted for the 360... I'm in racing heaven playing this game... It's so hard to quit playing...it's THAT immersive... I love racing games, but, this one tops any racing game I've ever played... no joke...

odpr
11-29-2005, 04:12 PM
havent seen the game playing in real, but, for what I saw so far,the new xbox doesn't offer that amazing GFX, but the only game I thought that deliver a good GFX is pgr, now you tell me that this one suck also..
welp I guess I will have to wait for the PS..

imaraidr
11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
This was one of 8 games I bought and so far the graphics are nuts! I think i'm pretty sold on the game overall but with only about 20 mins of playing it i'm not completely sure. But Vegas looks amazing.

George89
11-29-2005, 05:06 PM
i just saw it on X-Play and the graphics aren't as good as i thought they'd be. They didn't really blow me away at all....i think it could have been mistaken for Forza motorsport or even PGR2 at most points.

Yellowlab
11-29-2005, 05:39 PM
You know, initially I wasn't that sold from a purely graphical viewpoint when I was racing around London (the first levels). I thought PGR3 looked solid, but I actually thought my copy of NFS:MW was looking better in some ways. But, I spent a little more time with PGR3 and by the time I got the Dodge Viper and opened up the Vegas courses (not very far into the game), I was sold. Racing around Vegas at night was perhaps the prettiest thing I've seen in a game in a long time. The detail was amazing. The same goes for the Manhattan races. Tokyo is not too shabby either. However, the London courses still seems pretty lackluster to me. Other than that, it is a damn pretty game. I'd recommend renting it and spending a little more time with it before passing judgment fully.

ShadedNine
11-29-2005, 06:46 PM
You know, initially I wasn't that sold from a purely graphical viewpoint when I was racing around London (the first levels). I thought PGR3 looked solid, but I actually thought my copy of NFS:MW was looking better in some ways. But, I spent a little more time with PGR3 and by the time I got the Dodge Viper and opened up the Vegas courses (not very far into the game), I was sold. Racing around Vegas at night was perhaps the prettiest thing I've seen in a game in a long time. The detail was amazing. The same goes for the Manhattan races. Tokyo is not too shabby either. However, the London courses still seems pretty lackluster to me. Other than that, it is a damn pretty game. I'd recommend renting it and spending a little more time with it before passing judgment fully.

I can attest to that. The night levels do look way better. I can also say that i've never seen any noticeable jaggies, and they tend to be quite exxagerated on a 125" screen... The only real distortion I've seen is caused by the horrible quality of the included component cables.

bob808
11-29-2005, 09:19 PM
are you playing on a hi def screen because that makes all the difference....

Yellowlab
11-29-2005, 10:18 PM
I can attest to that. The night levels do look way better. I can also say that i've never seen any noticeable jaggies, and they tend to be quite exxagerated on a 125" screen... The only real distortion I've seen is caused by the horrible quality of the included component cables.

Wowzer... 125" screen? I thought my 57" was big.

Anyhow, I haven't noticed any jaggies yet either. The only thing I noticed is that there is a slight motion blur effect when the cars are moving that makes the environments not seem so crisp and clear as when you're standing still, but it works to create a sense of speed.

l Maximus l
11-30-2005, 01:22 AM
Shaded...125"...damn, I thought my 106" was huge! :D

FB-Gollum
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM

This is like John Holmes being envious of Long Dong Silver.

Bastille
11-30-2005, 02:54 PM
dude you have eight games already?....which ones do you have other than PGR3?...damn, i am still debating on if i should get an XBOX 360....YOWZA ILLUSTRATED!

Yellowlab
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
dude you have eight games already?....which ones do you have other than PGR3?...damn, i am still debating on if i should get an XBOX 360....YOWZA ILLUSTRATED!

I don't have quite 8, I have a mere 7... Perfect Dark Zero, PGR3, NFS:MW, Condemned, Kameo, COD2, and Madden 06.

PDZ and Condemned are the two I'm enjoying the most. PGR3 and NFS:MW are solid racers. Kameo looks ok, but not really my type of game. Madden 06 sucks as it is completely stripped down (no player create, no mini-camp, etc..), and I haven't stuck in COD2 yet (just got that one the other day).

Im D Milkman
12-01-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't have quite 8, I have a mere 7... Perfect Dark Zero, PGR3, NFS:MW, Condemned, Kameo, COD2, and Madden 06.

PDZ and Condemned are the two I'm enjoying the most. PGR3 and NFS:MW are solid racers. Kameo looks ok, but not really my type of game. Madden 06 sucks as it is completely stripped down (no player create, no mini-camp, etc..), and I haven't stuck in COD2 yet (just got that one the other day).

Yeah, EA rebuild their 360 lineup from the ground up, and did an aweful job. NBA Live '06 is the same way, no All-Star weekend, no Franchise, it's lame now. Good to look at, but that's about it. PGR3, well, not impressed, but since I spend $50 on it, might at well beat it and trade it in (I can't wait to get the GamerPoints from all my games). CoD2 rocks. Especially SP mode, as MP is a little laggy, hard to find a room, and only 8 v 8. Oh, and did I mention the Kill Cam (man I hate this thing. You find the perfect sniper spot, and then someone finds you because of this damn thing). I really want to try Condemned, as all I hear are good things about it. Kameo, well, it looks good (visually), but I don't know if it's my type of game either. I might just rent it from GameFly and see though.

Ford Mustang
12-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Can you turn off the kill cam? If not, then that's just plain retarded.

Im D Milkman
12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
You really can't do much with the options of this game, which is a huge drawback. If a patch isn't released soon, they are going to ruin this game.

What Needs To Be Added With A Patch...
1) Game Lobbies, a huge must. I don't like having to re-join my friends after every game what whatnot...
2) Options to make a server and choose which map you want to play and which game type. In these options, the ability to turn off Snipers (I am a sinper, but it would make people happy), and the ability to turn off Kill Cam (this one's a givin').
3) Fix the Lag and No Server Found issues
4).....anyone else have anything for a patch.......

Oh, and what the hell are the TrueSkill points for....anyone?

swivel
12-01-2005, 04:54 PM

Lean forward 3 inches and you will have the same field of view he has, only your image will be sharper.

SPARTAN VI
12-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I bought the game, definitely not any better than PGR2. I'd love to race cars that I actually have... closest thing is the Saleen 'stang.

Anyway, the game looks gorgeous enough, to me. First time I've seen HDR in a console game.

mrmp3
12-02-2005, 01:21 AM
You really can't do much with the options of this game, which is a huge drawback. If a patch isn't released soon, they are going to ruin this game.

What Needs To Be Added With A Patch...
1) Game Lobbies, a huge must. I don't like having to re-join my friends after every game what whatnot...
2) Options to make a server and choose which map you want to play and which game type. In these options, the ability to turn off Snipers (I am a sinper, but it would make people happy), and the ability to turn off Kill Cam (this one's a givin').
3) Fix the Lag and No Server Found issues
4).....anyone else have anything for a patch.......

Oh, and what the hell are the TrueSkill points for....anyone?

I do agree about the lobbies, but lag and server issues, my first game i had a 999 ping, then every game after that a 50 somethin ping, so that's pretty damn good. Iono maybe good luck. But no killcam? An option maybe, but honestly, it prevents campers. It's a necessity when a sniper rifle kills in one shot with even a foot shot. One of the features I really like.

l Maximus l
12-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Lean forward 3 inches and you will have the same field of view he has, only your image will be sharper.

hehe...nice....

Well, I'm actually pretty damn happy with my tiny 106" :D