PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Dark Zero Review on XBA!

Highlite23
11-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Check out Yellowlab-XBA's review of Perfect Dark Zero (http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/staff_reviews/view_xbox360.php?Product_ID=482) !

Jackyboy
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
great review, is there one on kameo yet?

l Maximus l
11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
While I feel that your review was written nicely, I don't agree with many things you mentioned. I wish I did, as I was expecting Perfect Dark Zero to be the next step for me in FPSs with the new 360 hardware...but sadly, I didn't find it with this game.

I've played about 12 hours total (multi-player and Campaign - Missions combined). While I find the Mission mode (Campaign) to be quite fun, I have only gasped at the mult-player mode. It's not that I sucked at the game...actually, to the contrary, I played quite well...it just wasn't fun. I actually did have more fun during the Dark-Ops mult-player modes than the standard set (deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, and Terrirorial Gain).

Sadly, the melee in PDZ is delayed a solid half second and pretty much is useless due to this flaw...unless one learns to master the delay, which I believe, is inexcuseable. Spawn points are pretty bad, too, I think. But, to top everything else, the gameplay seems so much different in multi-player than it does in the single player Campaign. The Campaign has us mainly focussing playing tactically...whereas the multi-player makes it almost impossible, especially with up to 32 players on the map.

When playing on XBox Live, I overheard many people commenting how lame the game was, which obviously didn't make it much more fun. I found myself slumping in my couch...maybe I was tired...maybe I was bored... I do know that I didn't feel much of a tence moment at any time playing multi-player. Basically, you hope to see a guy that doesn't see you and start gunning them down...should you be close enough.

Graphically, the game is gorgeous, I definately agree. The lighting effects make the game feel real and genuine...very nice.

Overall, I give PDZ, at this time, a 7/10...which is good, but not great.

Highlite23
12-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Let's just remember that reviews are only one persons opinion, and in my opinion your always better off playing the game yourself. :)

l Maximus l
12-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Let's just remember that reviews are only one persons opinion, and in my opinion your always better off playing the game yourself. :)

lol, dude...I completely agree...and you probably gave an assessment that most people agree with... I am likely in the minority.

Shawn-XBA
12-01-2005, 10:00 AM
lol, dude...I completely agree...and you probably gave an assessment that most people agree with... I am likely in the minority.

Just to let you know Yellowlab did the review, he just posted it in the forums. I have been reading a lot of reviews for PDZ and they are all mixed.

Yellowlab
12-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the comments on the review. I think you make a lot of decent points, Maxiums.

For me, I really enjoyed the co-op online experience... it was the most fun I had on XBL since Halo 2 was released. I also appreciated the sheer number of options from the multiplayer perspective - whether it be by yourself with AI bots, with a friend, or on XBL.

As Shawn stated above, opinions seem really diverse on this game. I've talked to people who love the multiplayer, dislike the singleplayer - vice versa, and everywhere in between.

In the end, time will tell the story... if the online community dries up in a couple months, then we'll know it never truly caught on. If there still is a decent sized online community at that time, we'll know it had a decent fan base. That's the true bench mark, IMO.

l Maximus l
12-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the comments on the review. I think you make a lot of decent points, Maxiums.

For me, I really enjoyed the co-op online experience... it was the most fun I had on XBL since Halo 2 was released. I also appreciated the sheer number of options from the multiplayer perspective - whether it be by yourself with AI bots, with a friend, or on XBL.

As Shawn stated above, opinions seem really diverse on this game. I've talked to people who love the multiplayer, dislike the singleplayer - vice versa, and everywhere in between.

In the end, time will tell the story... if the online community dries up in a couple months, then we'll know it never truly caught on. If there still is a decent sized online community at that time, we'll know it had a decent fan base. That's the true bench mark, IMO.

I completely agree...but, then again, at the rate of the 360 coming out, I think the game could easily surpass 6 months even if the majority doesn't like it :D hehe

George89
12-04-2005, 04:12 PM
it kind of sucks that Microsoft had to rush this game out for the launch when they could have easily delayed it a few months (or more) and fixed some of the problems with it.

l Maximus l
12-05-2005, 02:53 AM
it kind of sucks that Microsoft had to rush this game out for the launch when they could have easily delayed it a few months (or more) and fixed some of the problems with it.

I don't know, man...they had atleast 3 years of time on it already...:confused:

sojourner
12-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Imo I thought it was akin to Timespliters in multiplayer...utter chaos. That is only my take on it, it might be a bit different on co-op though,I'll need to give it a try!

Soundscape
12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
right on, sojourner...the deathmatch gametypes feel very similar to timesplitters...very run and gun, and kinda mindless.
i haven't even tried the dark ops gametypes yet because i don't even want to play this game anymore.

TheCovenant
12-05-2005, 06:58 PM
alright, i posted this in another thread, but i think it is more appropriate here. Now get me wrong, i love halo, its just that this game has some ups too:

I personally really like the game. Mp, and co-op add a lot. I really dont like the story though, much like ign said. It just feels made up on a whim, like they could say anything and it wouldn't matter as long as the gameplay rocked. The controls are NOT like halo, but get over that and the game is very fun. Your halo strategies wont transfer over to this game, but thats not a bad thing. Halo isn't the only shooter out there, and definatly isnt the only shooter, every shooter post it has to model itself after. In other words, its a different game than halo, so you'd have to judge it from the ground up as a different game, hard as that may be. Goldeneye was buttloads of fun back in the day, and PDZ gives that core gameplay a nice evolutionary step up. The graphics are arguably the best out there, only to be matched maybe by PC's "F.E.A.R.", and PC's *NEW* "Half-Life" 2, but definatly not surpassed (Yes, thats running on a dual nvidia 7800 SLI system).

The Cool thing i really like about PDZ is the personality that is incorporated into it. In halo 1, everyone used the pistol, everyone started with the pistol, it should have been called "the pistol game: oh and theres a giant ring of death in the sky". Halo 2 offered more variety, now people have the option of dual weilding, or not dual weilding, battle rifle combo, sword combo, and a few other favorites, but the same maps pull the same strategies out of every player, and it becomes a race for the weapons match, which is still really fun i'll admit, but im a huge fan of the fighting game series and how everyone can have their own "style" of play.

Take soul calibur for instance. Play a random guy who uses the same character you do, and you'll see way different gameplay styles, offering you a unique sense style that you came up with on your own.

Perfect dark is similar in this way by adding such a huge variety of weapons, with secondary, and some even with tertiary firing modes. Ive seen poeple who use the disarm amazingly well. Waiting around corners for some guy with a para to walk in, only to have it yanked out of his hands and have him shot with his own gun. Then he proceeds to drop the para, and some unlucky person will see it and try to grab it for himself, only to be stripped of a weapon again. Its an interesting way to play, and definatly not for me, but again, personality. I use that handy dandy shot gun, and its secondary "motion sensing" radar. I always set it off when im in doors and surprise unlucky bystanders in the close quarters environments. Another neat thing is that secondary pistol, where the ammo shoots in random locations. I throw that in a room, and set of the "motion sensor" and look at all the red dots migrate towrds the soon to be corpse filled room (ill be waiting outside the room).

Of course none of these techniques are "cheap" in any way. The game is plenty balanced and a well placed shot with the weakest pistol will put you in your place.

Sound, well, it sounds like your in the middle of a cartoon, like a comic book cartoon. Cool weapon effects, but is that "Salma Hayek" as chandra? I dont know, but it sounds kind of irritating. The music fits the game's story, so in those terms i cant complain, but i will take a second to thank god for the extra media player in the 360. All in all, theres nothing amazing about the sound, but there isnt much wrong with it either.

And lastly, the lasting appeal. Ive only experienced this game on a limited basis, but i have played plenty. I got tired of the campaign, so i jumped online to see what kind of havoch i could wreak, and had a blast. With mp and co-op as well. The co-op game is much more difficult, and much much more fun than by yourself. I made a few new friends due to the sense of comraderie thats left after you both manage to beat a giant boss, or kill off wave after wave of nameless soldiers. Theres lots to do in this little universe, and it should keep you busy on your 360. Its no halo killer app, but it is fun, and if you forget, even for a second, that halo isn't the only thing out there, you may just have fun yourself too.

l Maximus l
12-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Halo isn't the only shooter out there, and definatly isnt the only shooter, every shooter post it has to model itself after. In other words, its a different game than halo, so you'd have to judge it from the ground up as a different game, hard as that may be. Goldeneye was buttloads of fun back in the day, and PDZ gives that core gameplay a nice evolutionary step up. The graphics are arguably the best out there, only to be matched maybe by PC's "F.E.A.R.", and PC's *NEW* "Half-Life" 2, but definatly not surpassed (Yes, thats running on a dual nvidia 7800 SLI system).

Yeah, but, the pistol single handidly made Halo the great game it was...also the gameplay. PDZ's multi-player is robot-like at it's best. 32 players? Pfffff...in Halo it would kick ass (though I prefer smaller games of 3v3 at most when referring to Halo CE), but, 32 players on PDZ is no big deal......all you have to have is someone within shooting distance...which is about 25 feet.

Personally, I feel that this game is far too old school for this generation...atleast from a gameplay standpoint. But, to your credit, I will have to agree that the graphics look smokin' cool...especially in 720p :)

TheCovenant
12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Yeah, but, the pistol single handidly made Halo the great game it was...also the gameplay.

Are you downplaying pdz because it doesnt have a pistol? Remember, i never said halo was a bad game. IN fact, i love halo, and am one of the only poeple within' these forums that will openly admit halo 2's mp was fun. Seeing who could use one weapon the best is nice, i was a big fan of UC 1, when everyone used the shock rifle, but variety is no enemy of fun. Im not saying pdz is better than halo. In no way am i implying that. However, i do think pdz is in a league of its own, mixing elements of the best shooters out there (rainbow 6 and Unreal tournament. maybe even painkiller) and should be played differently. Theres a different kind of exhiliration than, "who can get three head shots first" or "rush the power weapons". You have a plethora of weapons to choose from, and choosing one and making it work for you is very satisfying.

PDZ's multi-player is robot-like at it's best.

Im not sure what that means. Character animations? Bots? Objective linearity?

32 players? Pfffff...in Halo it would kick ass (though I prefer smaller games of 3v3 at most when referring to Halo CE), but, 32 players on PDZ is no big deal......all you have to have is someone within shooting distance...which is about 25 feet.

Its the first game on any console to reach that number and still be a commercial, and gameplay success. I dont think 32 player halo 2 would be fun, i really dont. Same goes with rainbow 6. But a game like maybe battlefield, or unreal tournament, those are screaming for more players. So yea, i think it is a big deal. Its showing the industry how to do more players in mp the right way.

Personally, I feel that this game is far too old school for this generation...atleast from a gameplay standpoint.

Thats a mtter of opnion, but i thought you belonged to the older crowd here at xba? If so, doesnt perfect dark give you that feeling of nostalgia from goldeneye and its predecessor? Again, this is no halo, for that, you have...well, you have halo. This is another type of shoter completely, and they did a good job of putting it together. Get to0gether with a bunch of friends, head over to the big maps and have yourself a team death match. You have all sorts of bullets in the air, and is generally pretty fun. Amazing? jaw dropping? The coming of the messiah? nah. Its just good old school shooting, with some unique gameplay elements and plenty to do.

But, to your credit, I will have to agree that the graphics look smokin' cool...especially in 720p :)

werd. :)

l Maximus l
12-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Are you downplaying pdz because it doesnt have a pistol? Remember, i never said halo was a bad game. IN fact, i love halo, and am one of the only poeple within' these forums that will openly admit halo 2's mp was fun. Seeing who could use one weapon the best is nice, i was a big fan of UC 1, when everyone used the shock rifle, but variety is no enemy of fun. Im not saying pdz is better than halo. In no way am i implying that. However, i do think pdz is in a league of its own, mixing elements of the best shooters out there (rainbow 6 and Unreal tournament. maybe even painkiller) and should be played differently. Theres a different kind of exhiliration than, "who can get three head shots first" or "rush the power weapons". You have a plethora of weapons to choose from, and choosing one and making it work for you is very satisfying.

No, I'm not downplaying the game because of no pistol...I guess what I'm saying is that it was cool how there was a universally solid weapon, like the pistol in Halo. Sure, PDZ has some cool weapons...there's no question; however, I'm a huge fan of a single best all around weapon and having a secondary weapon that can be used in certain situations...know what I mean? Halo CE destroyed the idea, for me, to have a plethora of weapons that all had their own specific purpose...I now prefer that to be a secondary weapon with the primary being a solid overall good weapon.

I liked how you compared PDZ with Rainbow Six because the game is quite like that...it almost has some Brute Force characteristics about it (but in first person) because of the action-type gameplay versus strict strategy.

Im not sure what that means. Character animations? Bots? Objective linearity?

What I mean is that the character's movements are no fluid... and it often feels slow. Perhaps if I adjust the gameplay settings...I hear that if you do a lot of changes, it can be extremely close to how you prefer to play FPSs...I just need to spend more time tweaking it, I think...

Its the first game on any console to reach that number and still be a commercial, and gameplay success. I dont think 32 player halo 2 would be fun, i really dont. Same goes with rainbow 6. But a game like maybe battlefield, or unreal tournament, those are screaming for more players. So yea, i think it is a big deal. Its showing the industry how to do more players in mp the right way.

Yeah, but Halo was the first to do 16 players via System Link on a console...and that made a huge impact because it was done so well...32 players on PDZ is nothing too cool even if it is the first because, to me, the game isn't all that fun. I mean, for the time I have played it...I think the game is okay...but, it's not a step up from a fun factor standpoint...which is what I was really hoping it was...

Thats a mtter of opnion, but i thought you belonged to the older crowd here at xba? If so, doesnt perfect dark give you that feeling of nostalgia from goldeneye and its predecessor? Again, this is no halo, for that, you have...well, you have halo. This is another type of shoter completely, and they did a good job of putting it together. Get to0gether with a bunch of friends, head over to the big maps and have yourself a team death match. You have all sorts of bullets in the air, and is generally pretty fun. Amazing? jaw dropping? The coming of the messiah? nah. Its just good old school shooting, with some unique gameplay elements and plenty to do.

Well, it's kinda like what I stated a moment ago...I am looking more forward to the next step in fun...PDZ just seems like it has all been done before. But, I've been pretty clear in many other posts and threads when I said "If you like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64, you'll very much enjoy Perfect Dark Zero on the 360." But, at the same time, if a person really is a hardcore Halo gamer and are looking for a game to replace it, PDZ may not be your game.[/QUOTE]