PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound question...

greenpyro
12-03-2005, 10:30 PM
First post everybody. i'm just wondering, i heard a rumour that not all surround sound setups work with xbox's and 360's, and i'm just wondering if there's any truth to that. Cause i'm probably gonna get surround sound, and i'm just curious if there's any special feature i should be looking out for to ensure that it will work with an xbox/xbox 360. Also, is there any way to tell if it's "true" surround sound, or is it all "true" surround sound?

Reclaimer
12-04-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't understand how a surround sound system would not be compatible with an Xbox.
I had an older 200 watt RCA system and now I have a 800watt Samsung system.
I just took the optical output from the Microsoft Advanced AV kit that plugs into the back of the Xbox and ran the optical cable to the optical receiver on my surround sound.
Now I have digital Dolby 5.1.

l Maximus l
12-04-2005, 01:48 AM
What Reclaimer says is true...An optical cable is the only way to get "true" surround sound with the XBox/XBox 360.

Obviously, a digital coax cable will also work for Surround Sound, but, this has to be for components that have the input, like a DVD player, for example.

Using stereo cables (White and Red or Black and Red) with your receiver set on surround sound will only give you a simulated surround sound...which is not "true" surround sound...just left and right.

So, yes, pick up an optical cable (TOSLINK) and simply plug it into the available port on the back of the cable input that plugs into the back of the XBox 360 and put the other end into the receiver. If you are trying to do this for the original XBox, simply pick up an Advanced A/V Pack or the High Definition A/V pack that has the available port for an audio optical cable.

I hope that helps.

greenpyro
12-04-2005, 04:37 PM
so, i'll need one cable for my xbox, and i'll have to get a new cable once i get a 360? alsoi, are these cables available at any electronics store or what?

ShadedNine
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
If you're planning to have both your 360 and your xbox hooked up at the same time, then yes, you'll need 2 cables, and a dolby digital receiver with 2 TOSLINK inputs (most new models have at least this). Any store that deals in audio/video gear will sell the cable, it's called TOSLINK formally, or 'optical' informally.

Don't get suckered into paying extra for Monster or any premium brand. It carries a digital signal, so that signal either arrives intact, or doesn't..and you don't get interference with optical signals.

You'd be hard pressed to find a HTIB (home theater in a box) kit that was 'fake' surround sound anymore. That being said, it's not hard to find one with speakers that have that extra edge only a dying cat could otherwise provide.

Reclaimer
12-04-2005, 08:28 PM
To sum this all up..

For the original Xbox, to get surround sound from it you need a special box. I know that Monster and Mad Catz makes these products too, but all I'm familiar with is the stuff that Microsoft makes.

For the original Xbox, you need either the Xbox Advanced AV pack:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/a/advancedavpack/

Or the Xbox high definition AV pack:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/h/hdavpack/

This is a special box that plugs into the Xbox through the AV out on the unit and has connectors leading to your TV. You supply the wires for your TV.
The box has the TOSLINK optical output on it, on both models. After you get it, you have to go through the Xbox dashboard and enable DTS and Dobly Surround Sound.

The difference between the two boxes is that the advanced AV pack offers the S-Video connection to your TV. The HD Advanced pack offers the component video connection to your TV.

I personally use the HD kit for my TV, despite it not being a HD TV because I wanted to use the component cable jack for the little bit better picture it offers over S-Video.

So, you buy the wires you want to use, whether it being the component 5 cable set or the S-Video 3 cable set and you buy the TOSLINK cable.
Once you enable Surround Sound on your Xbox and you select the optical channel on your surround sound, sometimes known as the Digital sound channel, sound will no longer be heard on your TV, it gets sent straight to the surround sound receiver when you use the Xbox.

For the Xbox 360, you will need either the Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360svideocable/

Or the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

To use surround sound on the 360, you will a TOSLINK Optical cable that plugs into the back of the cable plug on which ever unit you get and it works the same as the original Xbox.

I don't have a 360, so I don't know if there's a dashboard setting to enable surround sound.

So.. now you need a surround sound receiver that has 2 optical TOSLINK inputs. Or, you're going to end up hot-swapping the single plug whenever you change consoles.

Then you have to consider what kind of TV you have and how many inputs you have.
Remember that component is better than S-video and you will need Component cables if you wish to see things in high definition. So that means you'll need a TV with 2 component inputs, which is fairly common now.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with using the Xbox on S-Video and the 360 on component high definition if you have to go that way.

Just remember you need 2 optical inputs on your surround receiver unless you plan to hot swap the plugs back and forth.

greenpyro
12-06-2005, 12:18 AM
ok, thanks everyvody, i'll have to keep all this in mind when i buy me some surround sound. can't wait :D