PDA

View Full Version : Ign Sucks @ss

Kleen
02-21-2002, 06:10 PM
All there boards are now IGN Insider only. Don't they realize that it's the principle, not the money? I wipe my ass with 20 bucks!...ok, maybe ten...

Heyyoudvd
02-21-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I noticed too.

BTW, $20 is a "special offer" as the prices goes up march 1st, i think.

What kind of crap is that?

It's places like IGN that destroy the internet. The who point of the net is so that everything's free. If every single person that created a site started charging, the entire net fall fall apart right away.

Hasn't IGn learned from Napster that no one wants to pay for a servive that they can get elsewhere? I'm a member of about 11 different message boards on the net, so I guess that's just 1 less.

I, for one, am not putting up with their bullcrap, as about 95% opf their site is now Insider only, and there's no way in hell I'm paying a cent (let alone $20 bucks) for that.

I already pay $40 Canadian for my internet provider (I have cable), and I'm not paying a cent more for use of the net.

Marc
02-21-2002, 06:56 PM
IGN can suck my left nut...

anthrax0r
02-21-2002, 07:19 PM
THey seem to have the idea that they're special and can charge people for the same exact content you can get elsewhere. And now that they just basically threw out the majority of the traffic that frequently visits IGN and their boards, it's going to go downhill fast.

GRAVEDIGGER
02-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Kleen
All there boards are now IGN Insider only. Don't they realize that it's the principle, not the money? I wipe my ass with 20 bucks!...ok, maybe ten...

I feel ya man, every dam thing you click on its "Locked For The INSIDER" i swear if i see that phrase one more time, i'ma gonna slay somebody! And the bad part about this is its almost like GAMESPOT is trailin right behing them, slowly! I use to like IGN at one point, but recently even the friggin lil dum ass news articles that use to be open to all, are "Locked For The Insider":mad:

Fyah Bun IGN!, SLEWW DEM!!:mad:

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

EthanQT
02-21-2002, 11:41 PM
You mean to pay money to chat or to play games on their server?

LynxFX
02-22-2002, 12:01 AM
The fact that they make you pay to actually contribute information and valuable traffic to their own website and messageboards is ludicrous. If they want me to join their messageboard it is going to cost THEM 10 cents a word.

That sounds about fair.

AlBoogy
02-22-2002, 12:43 AM
I guess Ill be the first person to play devils advocate. If txb or xba were going out of business and the only way they could survive was if they charged readers $20. Would you pay it????? I think what IGN is doing sucks and I wouldnt pay for it. But if txb or xba REALLY needed it, i would do it.

LynxFX
02-22-2002, 12:51 AM
I will never pay for information on the net. That isn't why it was created and I sure won't help take it that way.

If XBA went under I would find the info elsewhere. There is always a free alternative and that is the path I will always choose. Yes it would suck to lose the site but it is a dog eat dog world on the net and there are other ways to make money instead of charging users access. Asking for donations, that I could deal with and have actually done in the past but a required payment, hell no.

I do not know why IGN is charging now but I honestly believe that it is to make a bigger profit than just to pay the bills.

AlBoogy
02-22-2002, 01:00 AM
"I do not know why IGN is charging now but I honestly believe that it is to make a bigger profit than just to pay the bills."

Isnt making a profit what having a business is all about? IGN is a whole lot bigger site then gamestop,xba and txb almost combined. The cost for them has to be alot higher then what xba or txb pay. Like I said, i dont agree with what ign is doing but in a way i understand where they are coming from. Like chris rock said, " So another man driving around in his car, f@#%ing his wife, and living in a house he's still paying rent on. Now im not saying O.J. should have killed her, but I understand."

LynxFX
02-22-2002, 01:32 AM
I realize that IGN is a business and they do want to make money. I would too. They already have their little private section for members only. I can see past that and can give them the benefit of the doubt. Now when they start making you pay for something that they are not the ones providing the information, ie a messageboard, then I will call them money hungry twits and they will most likely fail miserably. No offense to any of the owners of this site, but I wouldn't pay money to post information here. If they made this pay membership only then I would find another site to go post on. There are dozens upon dozens of xbox or gaming related sites that give daily news information. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

IGN is a news site. They aren't offering anything that you can't find elsewhere for free. I have never seen anything on their site that made me go "wow I would pay for that".

Crazy Joe
02-22-2002, 02:26 AM
paying for stuff sucks ass

CyberBOMB
02-22-2002, 07:51 AM
No man it is incredibly stupid on their part. First they show ad all over the page, secondly most times when you click a link it takes you to an ad page and you have to manually click to go to the page that you originally clicked on. Now they want you to pay just to see that? I say that this site and TXB are the only places you can go for xbox info. If you are in this to make money then you are in the wrong business. If you need money then put ads on your site, but, when the time comes when you have to charge people to use your site just to pay bills then you are the one who is messing up because you are mismanaging your ad revenue.

kikimo
02-22-2002, 08:26 AM
... if you don't like it don't view it. I think what's really bothering people is that they do like IGNs content. As the demand grows for the content that is no longer free someone else will come along to fill that void. IGN's business model has changed and I think it will be interesting to see if they can make it work where others have failed.

GokuX
02-22-2002, 08:49 AM
I think they're gonna pull in some serious cash cuz there are many thousands upon thousands of people who will pay $20 for IGN's services.

cyclaud
02-22-2002, 10:23 AM
the fact that they charge users is bad enough. But there are advertisements everywhere:mad:

GLHeX
02-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Hrm okay...

Why doesnt everyone who just *****ed about the charges go over to IGN clean the bathrooms, mow the lwan outside, wash some of the editors cars.

Then you can contine to complain.

IGN is an online magazine. Its suprising they even let non subcribers to even view their content.

This is just like expecting a free OXM in the mail every month with out having to pay a dime..

Just because its online doent make it free. They do all this work and how do they get paid? For $20 a YEAR subcriptions.

Thats what happend to DailyRadar.

If you want to ***** goto GameFaqs thats all they are good at.

However if you would like to wake up and realize IGN gives you news faster then a printed magazine, then head over there.

Please dont say, there are "free sites" with the same, and some times better info then IGN.

HA, its mostly due to people rippingg the info off places like IGN and Gamespot. You see it done all the time on gamefaqs and other sites.

We abolished slavery more then a hundred years ago. IGN is no acception.